Beginner Poecilotheria

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I agree...also look at the areas they both have to hide. Aside from rocks, roots and holes in the ground, the vegetation is often limited to small areas, whereas in a rainforest, a good hide is practically always very close by. They can disappear into thick foliage quicker than just about anything following....Africans can go down until they run out of room...otherwise its run or bite. I wonder how often a typical baboon gets tagged in a lifetime....I wonder what the effects are on a baboon...hmmm
I'm going to assume they don't like it lol. Probably similar to a human: cramps, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, blurred vision, muscle twitching, fever, sweating etc. There was an obt bite report on a cat that said it had vomiting and suspected pain. I'm surprised the cat lived considering what they do to humans.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Lolla, my Ts can't always be the exceptions in this forum. Truth is, there are much worse OW spiders than Ceratogyrus. Hence why people pick the genus most of the time as a first OW.
I know there are worse OW than ceratogyrus out there and I agree they are a great starter OW, but what I'm trying to say here why they might be great for OW introduction is because of their calmer disposition, it doesn't make them slowish, they can be fast when provoked, they're not great to start with because they seem "slower" but because they may have a calmer less skittish and defensive disposition than other OWs (again individualism is also a big factor).. but in comparison to NW terrestrials they're not puppies.. and usually when they do bolt they would run continuously without end, where most NWs tend to pause for a second or two. For instance if my Irminia were to bolt, it pauses every now and then, and this I have observed with all my psalmos except my newly acquired one.. while my poeci is less prone to bolt, when she does bolt, she would run circles and circles in her enclosure until she eventually tires.. so doesn't mean if a NW is more prone to bolt that it's faster than a poeci that is less prone to bolt.. thus why I can't consider any OW as "slowish", they just might be less inclined to show off their speed.. just my two cents anyway.. :) and like you said, any T is faster than our reflexes.

Last edited:

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
on the baboon topic and in regards to the cat venom as a defense against predators is not meant to kill rather create extreme discomfort so as to create a deterrent to messing with said creature in the future so it makes sense that the cat did not die and I will suspect the animal now gives the tarantula a wide berth and that is the idea from an evolutionary standpoint

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
on the baboon topic and in regards to the cat venom as a defense against predators is not meant to kill rather create extreme discomfort so as to create a deterrent to messing with said creature in the future so it makes sense that the cat did not die and I will suspect the animal now gives the tarantula a wide berth and that is the idea from an evolutionary standpoint
good point, but I know there's some Australian species with venom that can kill dogs, not entirely sure what species though..

Felidae

Arachnosquire
good point, but I know there's some Australian species with venom that can kill dogs, not entirely sure what species though..
Example Selenocosmia. (And example that what I don't feel to ready for... ;) )But human death never reported.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Phloggius spp., for example. By the way, I have a theory on why pokies run continuously and not in short bursts of speed.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Phloggius spp., for example. By the way, I have a theory on why pokies run continuously and not in short bursts of speed.
I have witnessed other species running continuously as well, not just poecis, Ts such as h. Macs and obts, even my o. Sp. Blue does this (but then again it's a sling lol)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have witnessed other species running continuously as well, not just poecis, Ts such as h. Macs and obts, even my o. Sp. Blue does this (but then again it's a sling lol)
Yeah H.maculata will run continuously as well when startled. The only time I've had an OBT do this was during a rehouse. My female maculata however does this everytime I touch the enclosure.

awiec

Arachnoprince
At least I haven't read any report of that over here. Besides, does it really matter?
I think everyone can agree that aussie Ts are not to be trifled with, especially by impulsive teenagers. Though I think jig mentioned something about a dog dying from a bite but my memory is foggy.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I think everyone can agree that aussie Ts are not to be trifled with, especially by impulsive teenagers. Though I think jig mentioned something about a dog dying from a bite but my memory is foggy.

Yes, of the handful of reported cases, there is a 100% canine fatality rate from Australian T's.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At least I haven't read any report of that over here. Besides, does it really matter?
No, it does not matter as it is a situation that is highly unlikely to happen in captivity. At least from seroius keepers.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Just a question, don't mean to nitpick or anything, but Poecs are Asian species, and baboons are only classified as African species (if I am correct).
But in any case, I'm jealous, Poecs are pretty nice to have haha. One of my younger cousins called them the jewels of India, wouldn't mind having a few jewels of my country when I'm more experienced ;) haha
I brainfarted and decided India wasn't in Asia for some reason.

And yes baboons are African Ts. I have a C. darlingi, a C. marshalli, an OBT, and an H
Maculata.

When people think Asian they think of Haplos and the such, pokies are pretty chill by Asian standards so people kinda forget about that grouping.
This is what I was thinking exactly.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Well, yes. It can apply to all arboreals. I have not owned OW terrestrials except M. balfouri which is more of a fossorial and P. murinus which is... Everything.

Serafeimink

Arachnopeon
I was thinking more of C.darlingi and similar species. OBT, S.cals and H.macs make pokies look like kittens so I will agree with you there.
I actually read a post once where someone suggested an OBT as a first T. Man would they be in for a handful LMAO... I don't find OBT's attractive personally, i love their feeding response, but i don't think that should be a reason to get an OBT..