GBB Enclosure *puts on flame retardant suit*

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
The enclosure that I used is a teddy bear shaped plastic container that previously held a couple pounds of animal cookies.
Yeah, but you can bearly see your guy!
I like this, I used the upside down peanut jar for my avic (outgrown it now) but I bet bloo can find something similar to this (but with lid on top since GBBs need deeper substrate than avics do).

My gripe with deli cups is I just can't get the lid off without practically tossing the poor T around while I wrestle with it. I have to secure it between my knees (taking care not to squeeze the sides in) and work all around edges just to get the lid started. I would have to practice a LOT to open a corner gently and toss something in. I'd need both hands just for the cup, no free hand to deal with a live feeder. I am basically deli cup inept.

They make great catch cups, though, for me.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
deli cup 16 oz

deli cup (taller are 24 and 32 oz)
delicup.jpg

(May have been photo shopped - not grainy enough to be real)

Sana

Arachnoprince
I think the lower visibility is a combination of the cruddy phone camera and the thickness of the web that the silly little thing has created. The container itself is actually shockingly clear plastic. I've been thinking about putting my avic into another of the same container that I have sitting around, but I'm a little concerned that my lovely little poo flinger would drive me crazy trying to wash the odd shaped sides.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah Ellen, those are the mythical deli cups I was talking about, not the ones blueandbluer posted.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I think the lower visibility is a combination of the cruddy phone camera and the thickness of the web that the silly little thing has created. The container itself is actually shockingly clear plastic.
The pix was fine! So sorry you didn't know I was teasing, just because I am silly and wanted to say 'bearly" instead of "barely."

Yeah, I can be a fairly simple person at times.

Sana

Arachnoprince
The pix was fine! So sorry you didn't know I was teasing, just because I am silly and wanted to say 'bearly" instead of "barely."

Yeah, I can be a fairly simple person at times.
Oh jeez, I can't believe I missed the joke. Sigh. I'm so literal sometimes. Thanks Ellen!:)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The OP should research GBB's locality more and they would learn bone dry is acceptable.

That GBB will leave right through the KK grating.

They are also not semi-arboreal. I think people confuse a Ts ability to adapt and then classify them as semi-arboreal. They are found on the ground, making burrows among plants as an example, not midway up trees like Pokis.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Wow, Sana, that's a very interesting enclosure. I love how the spider webbed straight up. How do you keep it clean, though? I would worry about boluses falling to the ground and rotting, or crix getting to the bottom where I couldnt' fish them out.

What kind of lid does it have, a screwtop?
Agreed, maintenance is difficult in a container with a narrow waist or narrow mouth, especially if the spider is a heavy spinner. I would never use a container like that. Screw-on lids are risky: some spiders run around and up the sides, and it's easy to get their legs caught in the screw threads, especially with a dark lid...you can't see what's going on.

If you have slings, the most popular choices are deli cups, vials, & soufflé cups (for tiny slings). Deli cups are better than vials; they spider has more floorspace and it's much easier to get cross ventilation. I only use vials for shipping.

You'd have an escape the first day with that kritter keeper. We've had posts from people that made that mistake.

---------- Post added 03-22-2015 at 07:29 AM ----------

+1 on the potential for escapes through the vents.my brother in law had a 1.25 inch sling escape from a kk. If u decide to use the kk stretch a piece of stocking or something over the top and then snap the top onto the tank. That will allow for air flow but will prevent escapes.
Not a good idea. A sling can easily chew thru a stocking. The only reason it worked in that case was the spider obviously didn't try to get out. Had, it, the stocking would have only slowed it down briefly. Keep in mind older spiders have no problem chewing holes in screen, both fiberglass and aluminum. In the wild they dig long tunnels thru hard, compacted soils; a stocking or screen isn't an effective barrier. I had an AF Hysterocrates break off a piece of a plexiglass divider. These are strong, determined animals.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
The OP should research GBB's locality more and they would learn bone dry is acceptable.
Trust me, I have barely done anything in my free time the last couple weeks other than post here and read up on GBB care! What I meant is that bone dry is acceptable for a spider of the size I'm getting, but not ideal. From the sounds of things, I don't have to have it bone dry until the 2-3" mark.

---------- Post added 03-22-2015 at 08:35 AM ----------

If you have slings, the most popular choices are deli cups, vials, & soufflé cups (for tiny slings). Deli cups are better than vials; they spider has more floorspace and it's much easier to get cross ventilation. I only use vials for shipping.

You'd have an escape the first day with that kritter keeper. We've had posts from people that made that mistake.

Not a good idea. A sling can easily chew thru a stocking. The only reason it worked in that case was the spider obviously didn't try to get out. Had, it, the stocking would have only slowed it down briefly. Keep in mind older spiders have no problem chewing holes in screen, both fiberglass and aluminum. In the wild they dig long tunnels thru hard, compacted soils; a stocking or screen isn't an effective barrier. I had an AF Hysterocrates break off a piece of a plexiglass divider. These are strong, determined animals.
I think the souffle cups are the ones I was thinking of as delicups. It seems like the ones you guys mean are the wonton soup containers. I always struggle to open those when there's only soup in them, so I can't say I love the idea. Out of curiosity, how do you all melt your ventilation holes in them?

And dammit, Poec, that ruins the other idea I was formulating about gluing screen over the vents. Back to the drawing board....

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Out of curiosity, how do you all melt your ventilation holes in them?
My pencil tip soldering iron would make holes too big for a sling (or maybe I am too heavy handed), so for my 1/2" B albo I used a small souffle cup and made holes using a tiny nail, pair of pliers, and a hot stove burner.

For small slings, I dampen some of the substrate - they dry out easily.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
My pencil tip soldering iron would make holes too big for a sling (or maybe I am too heavy handed), so for my 1/2" B albo I used a small souffle cup and made holes using a tiny nail, pair of pliers, and a hot stove burner.

For small slings, I dampen some of the substrate - they dry out easily.
Ok. I have some Parmesan cheese in the fridge that's a little old. It's in a nice clear container. Maybe I'll wash that out and see if I can put in some holes without burning the bejesus out of myself (unlikely)!

I'll repost when I have that set up and see what you guys think.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Agreed, maintenance is difficult in a container with a narrow waist or narrow mouth, especially if the spider is a heavy spinner. I would never use a container like that. Screw-on lids are risky: some spiders run around and up the sides, and it's easy to get their legs caught in the screw threads, especially with a dark lid...you can't see what's going on.

---------- Post added 03-22-2015 at 07:29 AM ----------

Actually I never got to use the stocking idea, the sling in question has disappeared into the ether. :(

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
lol -- I did say pliers!

The container sounds, um, stinky. Might want to air it out really well.:giggle:
Yeah, it may be a bit cheesy for a while. However, it has until Thursday to air out. :D

As for the pliers, do not doubt my ability to injure myself in the most creative ways!! :laugh:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If I were setting up a GBB sling in a KK that size, I would:
Place an inch or two of bone dry substrate.
Place 3 to 4 water bottle caps as water bowls throughout.
Remove KK handles and fill the gaps with hot glue.

It's liable to set up housekeeping in one small area initially. You can adjust bottle cap placements accordingly and use bigger 'bowls' in lesser numbers as the spider grows.
Use caution when removing/replacing the lid. If the lid is left the least bit askew, free range spider.
If the spider bolts to escape as you're snapping the lid, squished spider.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
If I were setting up a GBB sling in a KK that size, I would:
Place an inch or two of bone dry substrate.
Place 3 to 4 water bottle caps as water bowls throughout.
Remove KK handles and fill the gaps with hot glue.

It's liable to set up housekeeping in one small area initially. You can adjust bottle cap placements accordingly and use bigger 'bowls' in lesser numbers as the spider grows.
Use caution when removing/replacing the lid. If the lid is left the least bit askew, free range spider.
If the spider bolts to escape as you're snapping the lid, squished spider.
Nah it's not the handle holes that's the issue, it's the vents themselves. They may look narrow enough, but they're not.

cold blood

Staff member
I think the souffle cups are the ones I was thinking of as delicups. It seems like the ones you guys mean are the wonton soup containers. I always struggle to open those when there's only soup in them, so I can't say I love the idea. Out of curiosity, how do you all melt your ventilation holes in them?
I make holes with a pin and then go back to the holes and run them through with a toothpick. It makes for good sized holes of basically uniform sizes and only takes a few minutes tops.

And by the time the gbb reaches 2" it should have dry sub.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nah it's not the handle holes that's the issue, it's the vents themselves. They may look narrow enough, but they're not.
I've kept 1 inch and slightly smaller slings in KKs. Unless it's an off brand with wider vents, they will contain most 1 inch slings. But, they can squeeze out thru the handle holes, whether the handle is in there or not.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Ok, tell me what I've done wrong this time. ;)
DSC_0045.jpg
DSC_0041.jpg

Enough ventilation, do you think? Note there are holes at the top and also on the sides.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, tell me what I've done wrong this time. ;)
View attachment 135209
View attachment 135210

Enough ventilation, do you think? Note there are holes at the top and also on the sides.
If that's for a GBB it's OK, I always give more cross ventilation though. I used the same setup for my then GBB and it worked great for her. They are ferociously fast AND frequent eaters if you let them.

Not sure if you have owned GBBs, they are truly magnificent webbers, so your water dish will get covered in no time.