GBB Enclosure *puts on flame retardant suit*

louise f

Arachnoangel
KK's shouldn't be used until spiders reach or at least near the 2" mark. A 1" spider is ripe for escape in a KK. Get a 16oz deli cup and house it in there for a couple molts before dropping it into that KK. Water dish isn't an issue, a 1" t will not drown, even in that big dish.
Haha yeah tell me about it. some years back i tried this with P.regalis community. I had 10 pieces they were in 1 molt.
so at night i saw something crawling on the shelf and the walls, yep you guessed right they got out, well some of them. so i got very busy cacthing all of them. and rehoused them in another container. :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I think the souffle cups are the ones I was thinking of as delicups. It seems like the ones you guys mean are the wonton soup containers. I always struggle to open those when there's only soup in them, so I can't say I love the idea. Out of curiosity, how do you all melt your ventilation holes in them?

And dammit, Poec, that ruins the other idea I was formulating about gluing screen over the vents. Back to the drawing board....
I get deli cups by the sleeve at a local restaurant supply store, Gordon Foods. I use 16 oz the most, and 32 oz for most arboreal slings (at 1/2") except Avics, which get 16's (they're more sedentary than other arboreals and that's a long way down for them to get food and water). The lids are easy to get off (unlike soup containers). I use 1 oz and 3oz soufflé cups for disposable water bowls (you should see what they do to some water bowls...totally disgusting), and the 3 oz also double as temporary containers for tiny slings. In deli cups I use the lids from 16 oz water bottles as water bowls. With soufflé cups being so small, I use moist long fiber sphagnum as a water source.

Terrestrials are famous for chewing thru screen, but even arboreals do it occasionally.

---------- Post added 03-22-2015 at 05:01 PM ----------

Enough ventilation, do you think? Note there are holes at the top and also on the sides.
Bigger holes around the sides, and none on top: that's compromises the micro climate.

---------- Post added 03-22-2015 at 05:06 PM ----------

My pencil tip soldering iron would make holes too big for a sling (or maybe I am too heavy handed), so for my 1/2" B albo I used a small souffle cup and made holes using a tiny nail, pair of pliers, and a hot stove burner.

For small slings, I dampen some of the substrate - they dry out easily.
I use a pointed tip soldering iron for all my deli cup holes. You can make them very small, you may need to file down the point. The smallest holes I make are slashes instead of round, too narrow for a sling to fit thru.

You don't want damp substrate with slings of semi-arid species, like east and south Africans, Aphonopelmas, G rosea, etc. A bit too moist and not quite enough cross ventilation can kill them. Better to use dry substrate and a small water bowl.

I use a pin to males holes in soufflé cups.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I use a pointed tip soldering iron for all my deli cup holes. You can make them very small, you may need to file down the point. The smallest holes I make are slashes instead of round, too narrow for a sling to fit thru.
Well, I tried that first, and it was almost finished and perfect and then I got heavy handed on one hole (and it only takes one hole too big for an escape) so had to start again with new souffle' cup. At least with a heated nail, I can't make a hole too big. I am not sure I have the equipment to file down the point of a soldering iron point. I would like that, be easier for sure.

You don't want damp substrate with slings of semi-arid species, like east and south Africans, Aphonopelmas, G rosea, etc. A bit too moist and not quite enough cross ventilation can kill them. Better to use dry substrate and a small water bowl.
And I agree 100%. But I have this tiny B albo 2nd instar (maybe 1st instar) and 1/2" is probably a huge exaggeration of size, it is probably closer to 1/4" in size.
No water bowl. Hate to go against my usual, but I think 3 of this size instar could fit into a monopoly house upside down water bowl. Tiny! So, I put a little moss in (he must have bulldozed some of the moss into his burrow since it's missing (I made him the burrown opening using a chopstick -- it opens under the leaf). But when I wet the remaining moss, I always get a little of the substrate damp. Who knows, maybe I will end up killing the tyke. I never wanted a sling this small and am slightly peeved anyone would ship such a small one, even as a freebie.

I use a pin to males holes in soufflé cups.
I hate punching holes sans heat -- they are rough and sharp. That's why I don't drill with thinnest drill bit either.

Pix of 2 ounce souffle' cup -- and I could fit 30 more of this size B albo in this 2 ounce souffle' cup (hmmm, it looks like only 1 vent hole -- there are at 8 going around, plus a few more closer to substrate level:

balbo outside.jpg

Inside cup (he is burrowed) and that leaf is smallest one I had:

balbo inside.jpg

He is near bottom of pix in the middle (I think) -- no, didn't turn cup sideways, just held up cup and took pix from bottom, blind. I think if you look carefully you can see the tiny sling butt so see how tiny he really is:

balbo bottom.jpg

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but since it is about housing small slings, maybe it is slightly relevant. And if it were a GBB, I honestly think I would have the exact same setup. (sigh)

I am open to suggestions -- even if you recommend a water dish, just doubtful it would work for such a tiny tyke. I hope bloo doesn't end up with my headache of a too-tiny sling. I had a setup in 16 ounce deli cup and pretty much lost him. I am ashamed to tell you, but I flooded him out of the deli cup just so I could rehouse in appropriate souffle' cup.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Yikes, that is tiny. I ordered from Kiffnie and she promised a 1"; I don't think she'll send me one much shy of that. If she does I'll give her hell, though, because I really don't want smaller than 1". Too easy to kill.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Trust me, I have barely done anything in my free time the last couple weeks other than post here and read up on GBB care! What I meant is that bone dry is acceptable for a spider of the size I'm getting, but not ideal. From the sounds of things, I don't have to have it bone dry until the 2-3" mark.

---------- Post added 03-22-2015 at 08:35 AM ----------

I think the souffle cups are the ones I was thinking of as delicups. It seems like the ones you guys mean are the wonton soup containers. I always struggle to open those when there's only soup in them, so I can't say I love the idea. Out of curiosity, how do you all melt your ventilation holes in them?

And dammit, Poec, that ruins the other idea I was formulating about gluing screen over the vents. Back to the drawing board....
I raise my GBB slings in bone dry containers until they hit 2-3", then I make sure they have water more often than not. They will be fine; your T, your choice!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I raise my GBB slings in bone dry containers until they hit 2-3", then I make sure they have water more often than not.!
Bone dry substrate but with damp moss or a water bowl? Or bone dry substrate with only source of water from prey? This sorta read like their water requirements increased with age rather than decreased.

What is the big difference from sling to 2-3" that dryness needs change (making slings need it drier than juvies)?

(not familiar with GBB slings or why their moisture requirements are different from other slings -- sorry -- hence my wanting to clarify)

Thanks

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bone dry substrate but with damp moss or a water bowl? Or bone dry substrate with only source of water from prey? This sorta read like their water requirements increased with age rather than decreased.

What is the big difference from sling to 2-3" that dryness needs change (making slings need it drier than juvies)?

(not familiar with GBB slings or why their moisture requirements are different from other slings -- sorry -- hence my wanting to clarify)

Thanks
I can't speak for other keepers. I raise them BONE DRY, no wet anything. They get their water from the fat crickets I feed them as they are hydrated. However, as the T get's larger, crickets alone do not provide them enough hydration. There comes a point when they eat enough crickets to reach satiety but not complete hydration.

I know one breeder who does this with very good success as well.

The size I give them a water bowl typically is 2". This does not apply to all species mind you. For example, my I mira has a DLS of an American dime, and it required a water bowl, which it happily drank and hydroplaned on too. The same for my C marshalli, also needed a water bowl at below 2" DLS.

Never had any die at these small sizes due to under hydration.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Thanks Viper -- interesting -- I definitely learned something about GBBs. Guess I would have killed a sling with too much moisture. (sigh)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks Viper -- interesting -- I definitely learned something about GBBs. Guess I would have killed a sling with too much moisture. (sigh)
GBBs do come from a very arid region of Venezuela, looks a bit like parts of the Southwest of the USA, not every spot in S. America is rain forest.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
GBBs do come from a very arid region of Venezuela, looks a bit like parts of the Southwest of the USA, not every spot in S. America is rain forest.
+1. Some of the driest places in the world are in South America.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
+1. Some of the driest places in the world are in South America.
Absolutely. Chile is a good example. In the northern parts of Chile, there is desert which sits over geothermal vents which people may observe.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Yikes, that is tiny. I ordered from Kiffnie and she promised a 1"; I don't think she'll send me one much shy of that. If she does I'll give her hell, though, because I really don't want smaller than 1". Too easy to kill.
Given that you're not exactly a noob with your zoo experience I think you'd do fine with tiny slings too. In October I ordered 8 slings, most were 1/2 inch or smaller. I had only kept 6 t's since July of last year. Three adults and the rest juvenile. As a complete noob to the hobby, I've had no losses thanx to the advice given here. I think you could be up to the challenge of raising a few bitty babies if you want. :)

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Given that you're not exactly a noob with your zoo experience I think you'd do fine with tiny slings too. In October I ordered 8 slings, most were 1/2 inch or smaller. I had only kept 6 t's since July of last year. Three adults and the rest juvenile. As a complete noob to the hobby, I've had no losses thanx to the advice given here. I think you could be up to the challenge of raising a few bitty babies if you want. :)
LOL, thanks. And you're probably right... mortality rates on slings seem MUCH better than my first go at this *coughcoughahem* years ago. I'd still just rather not if I can avoid it.