Genus Selenocosmia

Inkognito2k

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

Selenocosmia dichromata female with eggsack :)

female without eggsack

All the Best,

Sven

meyken

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

Selenocosmia dichromate larva stage 2:

Cheers,
Michael

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks! Where did you got it from and who IDed it as Selenocosmia samarae, if I may ask.
She is a wild-caught adult female, found and captured in the Samar Caves in the Philippines. :)

She will molt any day now - will you be able to ID her if I send you the exuvium?

If she's a new species, will it be named after me? :} :liar:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As I predicted, she molted this morning.

Here is a picture of her spermacethae:

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
Whoa! Those are some gorgeous spiders. GREAT! Another genus for me to hunt for! LOL!!

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As I predicted, she molted this morning.

Here is a picture of her spermacethae:
Hi Draiman,
Those are indeed identical to the spermathecae of S.samarae, and being from the Samar Caves, I would safely say that's what you have ;) Is she a large spider?? This species grows to quite a size for Philippine material.

Cheers,
Steve

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

this Specimen doesn't look like Sel. arndsti to me. For me, it looks like a Thrigmopoeus Species. For arndsti there are to much long body hairs and the Scopula on the Front legs is to much flashy. Also the coloration is not that much light as it is in the original Sel. arndsti.

@ Steve: You write:"Those are indeed identical to the spermathecae of S.samarae...". Have you examined the Spermathecae from the Sel. samarae Type, which is deposited in the Brussels Museum? BTW, the Spermathecae looks like a typical Spermathecae from a philippines Orphnaecus Species - so nothing special by which you can identify a Species!

@ Draiman: Can you post a picture of the Stridulating Organ from Coxa of Palp pl? That would be fine, because Sel. samarae has a Structure of Stridulating Organ, by which you can differentiate it from the most other relatives!

Cheers, Volker

Last edited by a moderator:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@ Draiman: Can you post a picture of the Stridulating Organ from Coxa of Palp pl? That yould be fine, because Sel. samarae has a Structure of Stridulating Organ, by which you can differentiate it from the most other relatives!

Cheers, Volker
I'll try to get a few pictures. :)

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi,

this Specimen doesn't look like Sel. arndsti to me. For me, it looks like a Thrigmopoeus Species. For arndsti there are to much long body hairs and the Scopula on the Front legs is to much flashy. Also the coloration is not that much light as it is in the original Sel. arndsti.
Hello Volker,
What Thrigmopoeus species looks this similiar to Arndsti???
This specimen photographed is still quite small with a leg span of roughly 1.5-2".
The light coloration can also be due to my horrible photographs hehe ;]
I received a group of these after loaning my male out to someone here in the USA with an adult female.I cant imagine they are hybrids...Can you share any more info about this Thrigmopoeus species you mention??
Thanks!
-Chris

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
@ Steve: You write:"Those are indeed identical to the spermathecae of S.samarae...". Have you examined the Spermathecae from the Sel. samarae Type, which is deposited in the Brussels Museum? BTW, the Spermathecae looks like a typical Spermathecae from a philippines Orphnaecus Species - so nothing special by which you can identify a Species!

Volker,
I have examined conspecifics from Samar which are apparently identical to the type. So, you think the spermathecae of this animal are not those of S.samarae?? I ask because I know most (but certainly not all, look at the spermathecae of the Orphnaecus type species as a clear example) are similar to the image, but I most certainly at no stage declared that the spermathecae were useful to identify species, what gave you that impression?

BTW, not in all circumstances is examination of a singular type needed to identify a species, only in some circumstances is this required. And quite often, the type is only a singular token representative of a species, true identification of a described species requires examination of possible conspecifics to determine stable traits IMO. Better a few than merely one, type or not.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That would be fine, because Sel. samarae has a Structure of Stridulating Organ, by which you can differentiate it from the most other relatives!
Volker,
You ask for an image only of the stridulating organ, which is adequately illustrated in the original description by Giltay very well, to identify the species. So, I wonder why you would ask me if I've seen the type, if you know yourself examination of the type is not needed to identify conspecific animals, only a copy of the original paper is in fact all that is needed?? I wonder because I knew this prior to your question, your point seems moot, if there is a point at all.

I think I could place a safe bet and assume you have exmained the type eh? Nice, well done.