GQ's Photo Thread

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome Ts on amazing displays, great creativity in all of the pics I saw, your Ts are in tip top shape and are beauties, great choice in background and photo setup as well. :D

-Andy

Marcelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gilbert:

My pictures bow at your pictures. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.

I love to take outsides pictures but now the weather does not allow me yet.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thank you for the kind words everyone! I still haven't decided which I like more, gawking at tarantulas more or taking photos of them. I compromise by taking photos and then gawking. :)

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
great pics gil. any of them ever give you a run for your money when you took them outside? i've been thinking of trying some outdoor shots with spiders and some with snakes..but i guess i just have to find a nice clear spot. the snakes are honestly what concern me more...i see pics of people with them in small tree branches and wonder if the snake ever climbed higher so the person had to climb after them heh. also, i guess the snakes don't have to pause after a short sprint like spiders do.

btw..imagine how well you could play that guitar with 8 arms :D

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
X,

The only one that has ever made me nervous is one of my Poecilotheria subfusca spiderlings. Even then I wasn't concerned about an escape as I had it out in a fairly open area with no easy access to cover such as trees or shrubs. It was just tough to take a shot because she was flying under and behind my props. I would never pose a pokie near bushes or any area with thick cover or crevices.

About half of the above photos are taken outside. I typically select a nice open area to shoot in with a nice backdrop or prop. I keep an empty Cool Whip container on hand to put over a motivated escape artist. Most of the flower photos are taken inside. I set up the flowers in front of a window with plenty of natural light. My camera is not so great that I can take nice artificial light photos. The Psalmopoeus irminia on the banana bunch was taken in an open patio area. I secured the bananas from my mom's house when I saw it laying in her back yard. She frequently trims her banana trees as they tend to grow fast.

I frequently take my Green Tree Pythons outside for photos. I have never even had a close call with them escaping. You just need to be aware of where you are shooting your animals. For example, posing a terrestrial snake next to a gopher hole would be asking for trouble.

The little versi male actually did pluck a couple of strings when I guided him over to the neck. He hit the strings and made a hasty retreat. I think he is more of a maraca sort of fellow. :)

Later!
G

great pics gil. any of them ever give you a run for your money when you took them outside? i've been thinking of trying some outdoor shots with spiders and some with snakes..but i guess i just have to find a nice clear spot. the snakes are honestly what concern me more...i see pics of people with them in small tree branches and wonder if the snake ever climbed higher so the person had to climb after them heh. also, i guess the snakes don't have to pause after a short sprint like spiders do.

btw..imagine how well you could play that guitar with 8 arms :D

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How on earth do you keep your psalmo from legging it! I darent get mine out (P. cambridgei) it would be off like a shot!

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man GQ! I just can not get over how beautiful your pics always are. Every time this thread comes up again I find myself spending alot more time on it than I should! Awesome job! :clap:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tegenaria,

Today I took out a juvenile Psalmopoeus cambridgei for photos for the first time. I set him up on a piece of bark indoors. I suspected he would be tough to control as all of my P. cambridgei are spastic even in their enclosures. Sure enough he was tough to control. He wanted nothing to do with staying put. My Psalmopoeus irminia are not nearly as difficult to round up as this P. cambridgei. I finally took the below photo of the P. cambrigei before nudging him back into his enclosure.

exkrhla,

Thank you very much!

Here are a few more photos from today. Enjoy! :)

Psalmopoeus cambridgei juvenile

My Psalmopoeus pulcher molted out into a mature male this week.

Psalmopoeus pulcher mature male

Psalmopoeus pulcher (P. camouflagei :) ) mature male on rabbit's foot fern rhizomes.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here are a couple more. I just can't stop! The Theraphosa blondi photo is taken with a flash. Enjoy!

Theraphosa blondi
The early bird eater gets the hatchling.

Cyriocosmus elegans
Money money money monn-ay...monnn-ayy.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great pics as usual GQ. I am partial to the shot of the elegans.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Mike and Peaches. Here is another C. elegans shot from a few months back. I don't think I've posted it here yet.

Cyriocosmus elegans

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here are a couple shots from today.

Avicularia versicolor juvenile

Avicularia minatrix juvenile

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Aphonopelma chalcodes

Aphonopelma chalcodes defensive posture

Enjoy! :)

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fantastic pics once again. How'd you get a defensive posture out of your chalcodes? I don't think I could get a threat pose out of mine if my life depended on it, it's so docile.

Jen

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Natemass and Jen.

Jen,

That is the first time she has ever made a defensive display. I put her enclosure lid in front of her so I could transfer her from the lid and into her enclosure. She quickly reared back with fangs out. I tried to coax her onto the lid and she bit the lid. I took a few photos of her in that position as it was unusual. I put my hand and also a stick in front of her and she didn't react. Maybe she just didn't want to go back into her cage. :)

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Poecilotheria subfusca

Poecilotheria subfusca closeup

TRON

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What an amazing thread!!!! Congratulations on your great collection and pics.