User Hobo's photos

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
So last weekend was the BC reptile show in Abbotsford, and despite having only about 3 hours of sleep, a minor accident on the way there, and having to have the car towed back to Vancouver with 2 of our party, I STILL managed to make it, meet Dave, and buy some tarantulas!

First up, Pamphobeteus species "Antinous", supposedly female.
She's about 7" or 8" across, and stridulates!

She's pretty flicky and bitey, so I haven't got an accurate measurement yet.
This is the closest; My hand is about 7"

In her new digs

Good thing she has an appetite, because she has a LOT of fattening up to do!

Next, we go from the very big to the very small. A female Cyriocosmus perezmilesi, about 1 1/2" DLS.

Had to mess up her donut tube web to get her into her new home... but at least I got some great pics! Aww... my Valentine... <3

Well into the vial you go!

...and into your slightly bigger and cleaner home!

And finally, the lastest aquisition, a tarantula of SOLID GOLD (color)!!!!
A female Acanthogonathus pissi, about 3" DLS!

Midas must have fondled this girl somethin' fierce!

"I love GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!"

So there are the new girls.
Oh if anyone knows any specifics on the A. pissi, I'd appreciate a bit of info. I've got the basics of keeping it alive down (thanks Dave!), but just want to know more about em, and it seems that info is a bit scarce on this species.
Thanks for looking!

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, that A. pissi is stunning! I've never seen that species before. Is she full grown?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Wow, that A. pissi is stunning! I've never seen that species before. Is she full grown?
Isn't she? I've never heard of it either, until I saw it last Sunday!
You know what, I think I remember him telling me that they get around 3.5", but my memory of that day is a bit hazy. I guess I'll go ahead and email him:)

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice p/u`s Hobo!....Daves table was packin the goodies, eh!.....ended up pickin up 9 new guys myself......got rid of 70 A. metallica slings aswell....def a wicked show!

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah they are ALL gorgeous ! I love the pissi :) Also the perezmilesi is pretty ! Can you do an update on the P. metallica ?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Nice p/u`s Hobo!....Daves table was packin the goodies, eh!.....ended up pickin up 9 new guys myself......got rid of 70 A. metallica slings aswell....def a wicked show!
Nice! Hopefully he'll be able to make it for the October one. TBH it's the only real reason I got up there! What 9 did you pick up? I REALLY wanted to pick up the last two L. violaceopes he had left... but I'm glad I didn't!{D

Ah they are ALL gorgeous ! I love the pissi :) Also the perezmilesi is pretty ! Can you do an update on the P. metallica ?
Well, I'd like to but there's nothing to update with him. Still fast, still eats, still runs from the flash! :wall: One of these days, I'll get a decent pic of him! *shakes fist in his general direction*

In the meantime, I'm gonna post some odds and ends from this weekend.
This one's starting to fatten up nicely. The hissing sounds she makes when she moves around sometimes is unreal!

The GBB is really starting to ramp up her webbing. It's pretty much what she does all night. I really need to find her a boyfriend, or she's gonna become one of those creepy, knitting-all-the-time grannies. At least she's hot though.

Finally moved the A. pissi into her enclosure and so far she's starting to web around a lot like the GBB. The dark peat really brings out that sheen, no?

So, I decided to move the P. cancerides water dish because she kept filling it with crap. It used to be right by the back end of her hide. So I'm rooting around trying to bury the water dish in the new spot and next thing I know she's bolted out the back end of her hide, standing on the highest point, and giving me the ol' stink eye. I slowly raise my hand up, and she runs in and slaps my hand (I actually thought she bit me at first), and backs up slowly to her spot, threat-pose all the way.

She then stayed that way, so I snapped a really close up pic.

She literally stayed that way for about an hour. One of the meanest reactions I've gotten from any of my Ts so far... and keep in mind she's still only about 2.75". I REALLY like her.{D

Decided to take a shot of the skin bin (No not that one!). I usually only keep the nice ones, hence why it's so empty:)

Oh, and finished putting together a semi quick enclosure for a new arival due sometime this week. Hopefully I'll be able to post a pic with the actual spider in there too!

Thank you, come again!

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Love the skin bin ! The GBB makes all those ts look PUNY {D Hows your chromatus ? I love the "lolz" caption things you did with her . they were priceless :D

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The pissi isnt a tarantula though. Its a mygalamorph (I BUTCHERED that spelling). Nice looking spider none the less.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The new guys look like they are doin great, man!......

...I ended up picking up....3 P. ornata slings, 2 P. formosa slings, 3 H. incei, and a MF Paraphysa parvula....def lookin forward to the Oct. show...should have a sac of A. avic ready to go by then....jus waitin on the female whip up a sac....shes plumped up recently! :}

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
The pissi isnt a tarantula though. Its a mygalamorph (I BUTCHERED that spelling). Nice looking spider none the less.
You are right, on both accounts! I tried emailing Dave, but no reply yet.

The new guys look like they are doin great, man!......

...I ended up picking up....3 P. ornata slings, 2 P. formosa slings, 3 H. incei, and a MF Paraphysa parvula....def lookin forward to the Oct. show...should have a sac of A. avic ready to go by then....jus waitin on the female whip up a sac....shes plumped up recently! :}
Sweet. Lookin' to start an incei communal? I've always wanted one of those!
I'm saying I won't go to the oct. show now, but I'm almost positive by then I'll be there itchin' for more pickups:)

Love the skin bin ! The GBB makes all those ts look PUNY {D Hows your chromatus ? I love the "lolz" caption things you did with her . they were priceless :D
Haha yeah I only keep the more-or-less-intact ones. Otherwise it'd me more full.
The chromatus is doing alright. She's the inspiration for all those, after she kept pooping and bringing dirt into the water dish.

Anyways... GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

My NEW, PRE-HOLE PUNCHED ziplock food storage canister arrived today!
Hooray!

What?! aww, someone left all this paper towel inside... and a MF L. violaceopes. ugh... well, guess I'll give her a new home. Lord knows I don't want her stinkin' up my new ziplock can!

So, I tried a new idea I've been toying with, namely how to unpack or rehouse fast species without them ending up on my walls. I've done it numerous times with my irminia, murinus/lugardi and even my new arrivals last week, and it works like a charm. I'll show you; I took pictures!
If this is common knowledge, then YOU ALL COPIED ME DAMNIT!!{D

First, I tie a large plastic ba- err I mean... the Plastic Tarantula Containment Pouch™, around the opening. LARGE! You need to be able to manipulate the bag and make tiny folds to entice bolting spiders to squeeze in them and settle.

Next, I use some long tongs/tweezers/hemostat through the bag (don't puncture it!) to get the spider to come out.

almost...

There she is! Easy peasy.

Now, you can examine it, look at it from all angles, and generally give it a good once over. She's lookin' good!

I do suggest you don't hold her through the bag, or put your skin tight at any part of the plastic she could get to, as I'm sure you all know they can bite through plastic! I tie it up real nice and hold it up there.

Now, it's just a simple matter of carefully getting the spider to go towards the opened end, untying it, and sticking the open end + spider in the enclosure while slowly and carefully pulling the bag out through a small slit between the cover and the enclosure (or in this case, between exoterra doors). She should crawl right out, and you should be able to retrieve your Plastic Tarantula Containment Pouch™ for use with your next crazy spider! It won't really work for huge containers, well, unless you have a large enough bag.... but then it becomes impractical.

"Hope you line your new digs!"

"...no not behind the hide.... in it! IN IT!!!"

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Noice work dude!!.....lookin good!!.......shes a beaut!

....good work the bag style transfer aswell;)

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ooh, I like that. Its elegant and effective in its simplicity. Good looking test subject as well

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Thanks guys. It's my first time trying it with something this big.
I'm thinking you can puncture the bag if you're careful, to allow easier manipulation with your tong/tweezers.

Not with the slings though. I tried it a few times with my metallica, and this one time it ran onto the hemostat and followed it, squeezing through the hole I made.:wall:

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Love the new t btw ! And I love the Plastic Tarantula Containment Pouch™ . Must work very well :)

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Just some photos from feeding time this weekend!

P. lugardi/murinus/whatever

B. smithi

P. cancerides

B. boehmei

A. pissii

C. cyaneopubescens

P. sp. "antinous"

C. perezmilesi

Last edited by a moderator: