House will be termite tented

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
so my parents are gonna have the house termite tented, and I am worried about my blue tongue skink and jumping spiders when i move back in, will there be left over residue that can harm them? If so I dont really have any other options so what can i do to protect them?

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I don’t know the answer for certain, but surely they will have fully aired the property and ensured that it is chemical free and safe to return to before letting you back in?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I don’t know the answer for certain, but surely they will have fully aired the property and ensured that it is chemical free and safe to return to before letting you back in?
That is going to depend on how well the exterminators adhere to the safety recommendations and the tests they carry out, which is also going by the USDA acceptable safe level of 1 PPM. I'll let others do the math on computing the 1 PPM with the 16 hour half life. Assuming of course the 1 PPM threshold isn't chosen with expedience-convenience in mind.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Perhaps it should be mentioned to the exterminators that there are animals, including invertebrates, returning to the home. They will hopefully then provide reassurance / advice and (if it wasn’t already) their attention will be focused.

The Snark

Old Timer
Perhaps it should be mentioned to the exterminators that there are animals, including invertebrates, returning to the home. They will hopefully then provide reassurance / advice and (if it wasn’t already) their attention will be focused.
I keep thinking of my neighbor, high school drop out who worked for Orkin and couldn't do a simple metric conversion if his life depended on it.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
I keep thinking of my neighbor, high school drop out who worked for Orkin and couldn't do a simple metric conversion if his life depended on it.
your neighbor isnt... an exterminator, by any chance?....

The Snark

Old Timer
your neighbor isnt... an exterminator, by any chance?....
Orkin. No background in any science required for exterminators. Just follow an often vague procedure. Get the job done ASAP so invoice can be sent. Concern of residual poisons is entirely follow the manufacturer recommendations, more or less, give or take. The health and welfare of pets kept is outside any tests or procedures, all environmental safety data pertains only to human habitation predicted parts per million of the poison after a given time period.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Orkin. No background in any science required for exterminators. Just follow an often vague procedure. Get the job done ASAP so invoice can be sent. Concern of residual poisons is entirely follow the manufacturer recommendations, more or less, give or take.
well... I'll see if i can keep my inverts away from the poison, do you know if my skink can move back in right away?

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Surely if people’s pets were dying all the time after this type of procedure, there would be lawsuits flying around all over the place?

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Surely if people’s pets were dying all the time after this type of procedure, there would be lawsuits flying around all over the place?
no that wouldn't happen, maybe if some child or dog died because of negligence on the exterminators part

The Snark

Old Timer
well... I'll see if i can keep my inverts away from the poison, do you know if my skink can move back in right away?
No it can not. Sulfuryl flouride, the commonest fumigant, is extremely broad spectrum, presenting a hazard to all life forms above micro-organism level. Your two concerns are pooling and residual toxin levels dropping below the threshold of one part per million of free air. The more ventilation the rooms receive, the faster the PPM will be reduced.
Has anyone checked past and present ongoing litigation, county or parish by county and parish and state by state? Anyone keeping track of court rulings?

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
No it can not. Sulfurayl flouride, the commonest fumigant, is extremely broad spectrum, presenting a hazard to all life forms above micro-organism level. Your two concerns are pooling and residual toxin levels dropping below the threshold of one part per million of free air. The more ventilation the rooms receive, the faster the PPM will be reduced.
i mean once it is clear for me to move back in

The Snark

Old Timer
Keep in mind, the fumigants penetrate just about everything including concrete. It won't leech out quickly. Conceivably could take weeks or months. 72 hours is the determined average time for the PPM level to drop below 1 PPM in free air. In say a concrete basement that 1 PPM level could take a very long time to achieve.
Half life, 16 hours, is dispersal in free air. Not the toxin becoming inert and less harmful or harmless.

Storage time for Sulfuryl flouride is 4 1/2 years under pressure. That is how long it remains fully toxic.

Last edited:

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Do you have a buddy who could look after them, or at least store them and have you visit to tend to them, to give it a week or two to settle?

The Snark

Old Timer
Simplified Sulfuryl flouride toxicology. You take a piece of wood that was fumigate say, 10 years ago, and put it in a terrarium. Leeching from the wood could still exceed the toxic threshold of 1 PPM in a closed in area like the containment.

This is why it is a preferred fumigant. It keeps on killing. When a house is sold it requires a termite report in most areas. The termite inspection is mediated and modified if fumigation has been done within the past certain number of years.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Simplified Sulfuryl flouride toxicology. You take a piece of wood that was fumigate say, 10 years ago, and put it in a terrarium. Leeching from the wood could still exceed the toxic threshold of 1 PPM in a closed in area like the containment.

This is why it is a preferred fumigant. It keeps on killing. When a house is sold it requires a termite report in most areas. The termite inspection is mediated and modified if fumigation has been done within the past certain number of years.
so they cant move back for ten years?

The Snark

Old Timer
so they cant move back for ten years?
Darned ambiguous, isn't it? 72 hours, well ventilated room, and a responsible animal owner that assumes objects that were subjected to the fumigation are present and a hazard and there should be no problem. Certain precautions should be undertaken such as the room does not have cross ventilation and a lot of stored objects present during fumigation - then say the only ventilation source, a fan quits, the animals could very well be in jeopardy.
Cross ventilation, preferably continuous, is your safety factor. It is how the PPM is both reduced and maintained below the threshold toxic level.