House will be termite tented

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@Lucky123 For example, in a typical hospital. It is assumed there are bio-hazards always present in the form of contagious organisms. The ventilation systems in the patient rooms and adjacent hallways is continuously monitored. If a ventilation system quits, the hospital personnel must remove the patients from the effected rooms.

(In hospitals, all hallways are positive pressure from the HVAC systems, all patient rooms are negative pressure. Air always flows into the rooms, never from the rooms out into the hallways. Standard bio-isolation protocol. The same in labs or other clean locations. Contaminants are vented outside while general occupancy areas are slightly higher pressure and can't spread organisms or toxins from contaminated locations)

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
I'm hoping I'm not just adding confusion to things. The whole point is chemical companies, Dow in this case, have spent a lot of money coming up with a chemical that penetrates all common substances found in homes, the structure of the home and the dirt under it.
There are basically two forms of toxins in the world, those that break down molecularly into less or non toxic components and those that remain toxic. That is, are stable for an extended period of time. Fumigants are in the second category. They become what is regarded as harmless when they are dispersed into the environment where humans or animals cannot ingest or inhale enough to suffer the effects of the toxin. In the case of common fumigants, 1 part toxin for every 1,000,000 parts air.
Expected half life of these fumigants, where one half of the toxins in a given area have been replaced with air. In the case of the common fumigant, Sulfuryl Fluoride in the average home this is 16 hours. In 32 hours, 1/4th of the toxin and 3/4ths air and so on, on out to 1 part for every million parts air. Since the fumigant is mixed with air as it is injected into a home it starts out 'watered down' - mostly the air in the house along with the toxin. Then the scientists calculate about how fast this air - toxin mixture gets mixed with more air until there isn't enough toxin to be a hazard. in the cse of Sulfuryl Fluoride, 4 1/2 half lifes or 72 hours. Of course this can change drastically depending on how well ventilated the home is.

Obviously when keeping animals these rough guidelines can produce perfect storm situations. Like a piece of material fumigated 6 months ago put in a low ventilation terrarium it can easily be a lethal hazard.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
You can move them back in. Here’s the catch however. Where you place them, I would clean it all down to the best of your abilities. Make sure the room you are putting them in has had adequate time to air out. Last and most importantly. Be cautious of cross contamination when feeding and handling. So wash hands, supplies, etc. when feeding and maintenance.

The Snark

Old Timer
The fumigant(s) are non residual gasses. They don't leave toxins on surfaces.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
You can move them back in. Here’s the catch however. Where you place them, I would clean it all down to the best of your abilities. Make sure the room you are putting them in has had adequate time to air out. Last and most importantly. Be cautious of cross contamination when feeding and handling. So wash hands, supplies, etc. when feeding and maintenance.
Thank you, and sorry for late reply i was offline for a little while,
The fumigant(s) are non residual gasses. They don't leave toxins on surfaces.
Thank you,
also, does anyone know if planet orange would change that? I heard they use botanical treatments instead.

The Snark

Old Timer
also, does anyone know if planet orange would change that? I heard they use botanical treatments instead.
Ask them. I've no first hand knowledge of them but with all the environmental organizations in that area it shouldn't be hard to get the low down, good or bad. As an aside, their extremely flashy professionally composed presentation tailored for the Marin crowd cranks my waries way up. These folks may have some info. https://www.sustainablebayarea.org/directory/ I'd also contact Berkeley U, Some hard core environmental authorities cruise through there. http://guide.berkeley.edu/undergraduate/degree-programs/environmental-earth-science/

Last edited:

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
so my parents are gonna have the house termite tented, and I am worried about my blue tongue skink and jumping spiders when i move back in, will there be left over residue that can harm them? If so I dont really have any other options so what can i do to protect them?
Pestisides can be dangerous, can you leave them with a friend for a week? I imagine if it's safe for people, it's safe for your pets

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Yeah I hope so, I actually have a a friend who owes me a favor so if it comes down, he may be willing to take them for a few weeks.
I imagine if it's safe for people, it's safe for your pets
Hopefully, but i wanna stay on the safe side, sometimes inverts are more sensitive to toxins.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Ask them. I've no first hand knowledge of them but with all the environmental organizations in that area it shouldn't be hard to get the low down, good or bad. As an aside, their extremely flashy professionally composed presentation tailored for the Marin crowd cranks my waries way up. These folks may have some info. https://www.sustainablebayarea.org/directory/ I'd also contact Berkeley U, Some hard core environmental authorities cruise through there. http://guide.berkeley.edu/undergraduate/degree-programs/environmental-earth-science/
at the very least I imagine a botanical treatment wouldn't be as potent as a chemical one, or wont last as long.

The Snark

Old Timer
at the very least I imagine a botanical treatment wouldn't be as potent as a chemical one, or wont last as long.
Actually, when properly applied taking environment and ecology into account, natural methodology can be extremely long lasting and even perpetual. Our chemical world of today is all about instant gratification, results Right Now! Subtle alterations to an ecosystem don't happen over night but can be forever - positive or negative.
And there will always be anomalies like the termite which creates their own environment and ecosystem as the nest develops.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Actually, when properly applied taking environment and ecology into account, natural methodology can be extremely long lasting and even perpetual. Our chemical world of today is all about instant gratification, results Right Now! Subtle alterations to an ecosystem don't happen over night but can be forever - positive or negative.
And there will always be anomalies like the termite which creates their own environment and ecosystem as the nest develops.
by less long term i mean it may not absorb into substances as much as a chemical, therefore may not be potent afterwards.

The Snark

Old Timer
by less long term i mean it may not absorb into substances as much as a chemical, therefore may not be potent afterwards.
A salient point, and also one of great contention. Persistent chemicals alter ecosystems. The chemical companies hedge, dodge and dance around this. The bottom line is those chemicals should have lifetime exposure tests done which due to our expedient life style, is ignored. Nobody is going to make a chemical that won't be approved for 50 years. And thanks to their powerful lobbies you will never see the following on their labels.
CAUTION, Repetitive use of this chemical will turn your property into a toxic waste dump and EPA superfund site.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You have to also consider the warning agent being used. Chloropicrin is heavier than Vikane and clears much slower than the Vikane does. Because of this I would be reluctant to bring your critters back in less than a weeks time.

The Snark

Old Timer
Chloropicrin
Crap that should never have been compounded.
Shades of the past. Cleaning out the old pathology lab and there on a shelf, an ancient bottle with a corroded lid containing 1 kg of bone dry picric acid.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Accurately, you can't. Guesswork. The toxic threshold varies from animal to animal and even then they stop the tests at LD50.
@HooahArmy Any thoughts?
Now 15% off with coupon, it's HooahArmy!

Ladies and gentlement, good evening! I recall answering a nearly identical question about fumigation a couple months back, so feel free to search for those post for more information. Fumigation chemicals are often of two varieties these days, the good ol' 'chem' kind and the 'green' natural ingredient derived type. Regardless of which type is used, the goal of fumigation is this: kill little insects. Since jumping spiders definitely fall in the category of litte insects, the risk to them is higher than is for the skink with the OP.
So what do we do?
1. All extermination companies are required by law to provide you a disclosure about what they use and tell you the risks involved. Contact the company and find out exactly what chemicals they're using and research them, or come back and hunt me down.
2. A reputable company will also answer all your life's questions. You can feel free to say:
- I have pets that include reptiles and small spiders. How soon might it be safe for me to move them back in my home?
- Will any residues place my pets at risk? How much cleaning do you recommend around my pets' area?
- How long do you beleive there may still be residual fumigation chemicals within my home?
3. Hopefully, the companyshould give you answers to those questions, but if not, it's best to play it safe and give your home plenty of time to vent. If you can find outthe compound being used, look it up and determine how long it might stay in certain locations. If it says 1 month, for example, give your critter room 1 month and 2 weeks to vent off. Open plenty of windows. Try to aim for a week or so past the time it takes for certain compounds to clear out.
4. Deep clean! Most fumigation works by releasing a cloud that permeates into the home and all its niches, killing termites. By the time it's safe for humans to move in, large areas will likely be clear with clean air, yet residual chemical may staill hang out deep in woodwork. When you feel ready, move your buddies back to a location that has as much ventilation as possible and do a smell check. If it smells funky, something is still hanging about! Use an invert-friendly cleanser to wipe all furniture and pet items that were within the home during fumigation before setting your critters down or using an item with them.
5. Keep a sharp eye on your pets! The jumpers will likely show symptoms of poisoning sooner than the skink due to their small size. Check on your homies as often as you can. Are them stumbling around or look lethargic? If so, get them to clean air at once!
As for the skink, this big, blooded animal is much harder to poison than an insect who has a small body and breathes through pores or book lungs. A higher concentration will be needed to injure the skink, yet that doesn't mean that they're immune. Is the skink behaving strangely or sniffling? Is it avoiding certain areas or hiding to get away from smells? Are they lethargic or agitated? If they were allowed from their enclosure, could they have licked or come in contact with anything? If the skink is looking off, bring them into clean air as well, or if needed, to the vet if they don't recover after a few days.
6. Monitor yourself! Most people leave their clothes within the home during fumigation. Wash all your clothes thoroughly if you can to keep chemical residues from your garments from transferring to your pals when you care for them. If you've been touching many surfaces after fumigation, wash your hands plenty!

Extra stuff:
HALF-LIFE is the 'endurance' of a chemical in a given environment. It is independent of amount present, lethal doses, or even toxic doses. Just because a certain item has reached a half life doesn't mean that the current amount is any safer. When working with pesticides, it's best not to consider half-life or even lethal doses which may be hard to measure in the home, but to ask the eterminator regarding safe times to return and pet safety tips.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
A reputable company................
I gave up looking for donkey feathers

When working with pesticides, it's best not to consider half-life or even lethal doses which may be hard to measure in the home, but to ask the eterminator regarding safe times to return and pet safety tips.
I honestly am a little perplexed that you seem to trust exterminators in general. I'll bet you less than 1 in 50 has taken even a basic chemistry class.

Recalling applying for a job at an exterminator. I asked what they supplied for respirators. They told me respirators were forbidden on the job as they concentrate toxins. That came from Orkin's head office in the LA area.

Last edited:

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
I gave up looking for donkey feathers

I honestly am a little perplexed that you seem to trust exterminators in general. I'll bet you less than 1 in 50 has taken a chemistry class.
I don't trust anyone in particular. I just trust American laws on disclosures. Most companies will disclose to their clients what they are using on their homes since they fear lawsuits more than the bugs themselves.
I'm personally not a fan of humans... :p

The Snark

Old Timer
Most companies will disclose to their clients what they are using on their homes since they fear lawsuits more than the bugs themselves.
Recalling applying for a job at an exterminator. I asked what they supplied for respirators. They told me respirators were forbidden on the job as they concentrate toxins. That came from Orkin's head office in the LA area. (In 1991)