How many of you handle your T?

Neoza

Arachnobaron
1) Comparing domesticated cats and dogs to wild felines and canines 'in nature' makes no sense. Domesticated cat's and dog's behavior has changed over thousands of years of living with humans: they do like to be petted. Dogs in particular have developed the ability to 'read' and understand us; an ability no wolf has. Dogs risk their lives for humans, and sometimes die trying to save them. Tarantulas are somehow like dogs? You analogy is completely faulty.

2) With the looming possibility of bans on tarantulas in a couple European countries, you're under the impression that a highly publicized bite or two won't have an impact? That's exactly the kind of thing that spurs politicians to action. Another argument devoid of logic.
i agree with the cats and dogs theory but for me its alwayd atravtive to handle my T's. I just love them so much and i want to touch them and adore them. But i know they rather want to be left alone so i dont handle them much. Oh and maybe tarantulas will be like cats and dogs within 1000 years ;).

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree with the cats and dogs theory but for me its alwayd atravtive to handle my T's. I just love them so much and i want to touch them and adore them. But i know they rather want to be left alone so i dont handle them much. Oh and maybe tarantulas will be like cats and dogs within 1000 years ;).
Just remember, you may want to touch them, but they have no desire to be touched by you. Also I hate to sound crude, but try telling a pissed off OBT that you find it attractive and just want to touch it before doing so and see if that persuades it in any way....

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
i agree with the cats and dogs theory but for me its alwayd atravtive to handle my T's. I just love them so much and i want to touch them and adore them.
That attitude usually doesn't work with wild animals (doesn't even work with a lot of domestic animals), and has resulted in many attacks and fatalities on humans, by animals that wanted to be left alone. Respect them and their territory; they're not thrilled with petting and hugs by well-intentioned, but delusioned people.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Daaaamn you people just dont read good ;). I said:'i want to touch them but i know they dont like it so i dont handle them much.' I know that they dont want it. Tarantulas are not like cats and dogs. People who want them to handle them constintly and to show of with are not good T holders. Thats why when i will sell in the future some T's i always will check if the people have knowledge, and when they dont they want to learn it from me or even better the tarantula keepers guide.

Last edited:

jellybean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Daaaamn you people just dont read good. I said:'i want to touch them but i know they dont like it so i dont handle them much.' I know that they dont want it.
I know exactly how you feel. People are so hell bent on wanting to be top dog of this topic that they only see the words in a thread that they can argue with. I said my one T acts crazy and I dont handle her, but I had reply back saying no she isnt crazy and that shes upset with me stressing her and handling her blah blah blah. I give up on here. I know people have different opinions and reasons for whatever they do but some people on here are just plain rude and act like bullies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neoza

Arachnobaron
I know exactly how you feel. People are so hell bent on wanting to be top dog of this topic that they only see the words in a thread that they can argue with. I said my one T acts crazy and I dont handle her, but I had reply back saying no she isnt crazy and that shes upset with me stressing her and handling her blah blah blah. I give up on here. I know people have different opinions and reasons for whatever they do but some people on here are just plain rude and act like bullies

I agree! Im like 2 days on this blog and that was the first thing i've noticed! We are here to help eachother and not to win a game being the best or something. You can correct someone or learn things to someone but you can do it nicely! :)

jellybean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree! Im like 2 days on this blog and that was the first thing i've noticed! We are here to help eachother and not to win a game being the best or something. You can correct someone or learn things to someone but you can do it nicely! :)
My thoughts exactly. I will prob have people kicking off at me for saying they act like bullies and that they take offence to that, but boo hoo coz at the end of the day "idiots" and "deluded" people like myself and others who have handled Ts when NEEDED to or if theyve walked onto us on their own accord, have taken offence to being told we are the reason this hobby may be banned. Aggressive attitudes on here will put people off asking for help as they will be too scared to incase they get belittled and shouted at and made to feel stupid for asking a question when they get told "you should have done your research before you even thought about owning a spider"

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Indeed. I mean its not bevause im 2 days on this blog that im a 'newbie'. I dont think there are many owners who doesnt read information about tarantulas en stuff. You should be more worried about the pet shops were they sold tarantulas..

jellybean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice talking to you Neoza, but im leaving this site now. Not because of the comment made to myself but because of drama in general, I know there would be no point in ever asking a question or sharing something on here without it turning into an epic argument or people trying to put you on guilt trips if you dont do exactly what they want you to do by the "do as I say, not do as I do" hypocrites on here. Enjoy your day and have fun with your Ts. Best wishes

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Nice talking to you Neoza, but im leaving this site now. Not because of the comment made to myself but because of drama in general, I know there would be no point in ever asking a question or sharing something on here without it turning into an epic argument or people trying to put you on guilt trips if you dont do exactly what they want you to do by the "do as I say, not do as I do" hypocrites on here. Enjoy your day and have fun with your Ts.
yeah indeed.. And thank you! It was also nice talking to you ( im happy im not the only one with this toughts) and have a nice day to!
:)

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Sorry to see you leave the forum, jellybean, although I can sympathize, when I first started, there were a couple of elitists who seemed to take great pleasure in belittling newbies about mistakes they made. I just turned 'em off.

I post about things I have experience with, and read as much as I can about things I don't, and just try to be helpful where I can. Most will appreciate the help, some will not; doesn't stop me from trying. :)

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Sorry to see you leave the forum, jellybean, although I can sympathize, when I first started, there were a couple of elitists who seemed to take great pleasure in belittling newbies about mistakes they made. I just turned 'em off.

I post about things I have experience with, and read as much as I can about things I don't, and just try to be helpful where I can. Most will appreciate the help, some will not; doesn't stop me from trying. :)
people like you are the best :) good statement!!!!!!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I may not sugarcoat everything, not my style, but I've helped a lot of people here, including many beginners. I have 39 'friends' and over 200 pages of 'likes/thanks', so I'm doing something that people appreciate.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Being new to this, I had truly no idea what this subject would bring. I did stop reading and replying simply due to the incorrect readings by others and the same regurgitated information. I think its safe to say any T owner with half a brain knows the risks to both human and spider. I have personally owned a black widow. I have gotten a ton of crap for it. Fact is I take my chances but I will never put my want or needs before his safety. I don't think anyone should be judged for handling their T. Sure its not smart, sure its stressful for the T but honestly where would science be if we didn't touch anything dangerous. With that said I have pretty much no desire to hold mine as I have become a mother to mine. I'm terrified of something happening to him.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
When I had mt first T as a "kid" it was always about handling, until the little rascal crawled up my arm into my hair and no one would get him down for me. Now, I don't handle and take every precaution possible not to get bitten. I'm older now, plus am taking some different medications, and am home alone often in a rural area. Who knows what effect any bite will have on me? I'm sure there are those who would advise me to choose my spiders more wisely. But if Poec54 can manage to keep from getting bit for all these years, so can I because I'm probably older...and getting wiser.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Daaaamn you people just dont read good ;). I said:'i want to touch them but i know they dont like it so i dont handle them much.' I know that they dont want it. Tarantulas are not like cats and dogs. People who want them to handle them constintly and to show of with are not good T holders. Thats why when i will sell in the future some T's i always will check if the people have knowledge, and when they dont they want to learn it from me or even better the tarantula keepers guide.
This happens 110% of the times people asks handling questions. Most dont read everything in your post, they just see the words "i want" and "handling", they comment out of that "sentence" and forget the rest of what you write...It happens everytime, so you better get used to it!

Last edited: