Mature Male Appreciation Thread

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
Was just told about the existence of this thread and that my guy belongs here. Thanks, @The Spider House!

20231228_222818.jpg

The first of my trio of Psalmopoeus victori boys to moult out. He's been an absolute delight to raise and is still a very calm, gentle guy, even as a mature male. My female wasn't in the mood during their first introduction but that's okay! He's fresh as can be and we have lots of time (🤞) to try again.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Was just told about the existence of this thread and that my guy belongs here. Thanks, @The Spider House!

View attachment 463827

The first of my trio of Psalmopoeus victori boys to moult out. He's been an absolute delight to raise and is still a very calm, gentle guy, even as a mature male. My female wasn't in the mood during their first introduction but that's okay! He's fresh as can be and we have lots of time (🤞) to try again.
He for sure belongs here! One of my favorite species ever!

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Wow, the first gravid male! ;-)
You could have a point there. I showed him/her to the fellow that I originally got it from (as a sling). He thinks I might be mistaken. He thinks that, by virtue of her size, it's probably a female.

Last edited:

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Here’s my boy Harrison Bottom, although his friends call him Harry. He’s a G. porteri/rosea. He hooked out in the summer of 2022 and is still doing well. IMG_0519.jpeg

DustyD

Arachnoknight
He's awesome...
I think so too! When I first got him he was about 2-3 inches and soon started showing his colors. I was a little disappointed at first as he didn’t have the red rosea colors I was expecting. But I really loved the copper/ pink and gray.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I don't think I have ever seen a tarantula so relaxed. It's not the best picture but I didn't want to disturb him loading.

Zephyr, Psalmopoeus victori
PXL_20240113_173046255.jpg

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
P. irminia "Spunk" was kind enough to demonstrate for me exactly why the mature males of the species have slightly different coloration.
1000011967.jpg
1000011966.jpg

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
20240122_194726.jpg

I knew my Augacephalus ezendami was a male so I expected him to moult out sooner or later, I just didn't expect him to choose the "extremely urgently soon" route. Only 4.5 cm (~1.75") DLS, despite all that legginess. Such a teeny tiny little guy. Haven't been able to find a female for him yet, but he's eating and drinking and having a good time so far.

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
@MariaLewisia - I'll see your 1.75" DLS MM ^^ and raise you a 1.125" DLS mature male, lol.

This is Vennie, Cyriocosmus venezuelensis, and he hooked out today. Absolutely gorgeous, but mind-blowingly tiny!
1000017127.jpg
1000017142.jpg
1000017148.jpg
1000017163.jpg

Even smaller than my H. gabonensis MM was, although with a thicker booty.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
@MariaLewisia - I'll see your 1.75" DLS MM ^^ and raise you a 1.125" DLS mature male, lol.

This is Vennie, Cyriocosmus venezuelensis, and he hooked out today. Absolutely gorgeous, but mind-blowingly tiny!
View attachment 465832
View attachment 465829
View attachment 465830
View attachment 465831

Even smaller than my H. gabonensis MM was, although with a thicker booty.
Well you certainly pulled my heartstrings with that distinguished little gentleman. My goodness! I love him! 😍

I love all the Cyriocosmus MMs honestly. So small. I've raised four C. elegans males and they all hooked out between 1"-1.5" DLS, while my C. perezmilesi is a whopping 2.75" DLS! My H. gabonensis were both quite decent 2" DLS mature males. Cyriocosmus definitely takes the cake on mini-males.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Very similar to the leetzi. Is it just the caput that’s darker?
I've got leetzi, too, and they are kind of similar - especially the white legs. Leetzi have the black triangle and some other black markings on the carapace, where venezuelensis has a solid orange carapace. The mirror patch (heart-butt) is not quite as heart-shaped on leetzi, as well. They're all awesome, though, and you can't go wrong with any of them. I've got 6 different species from the genus and will continue to add more as I am able!