Most advanced T you can think of...

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
My vote goes for Theraphosa sp. for their advanced care requirements but also due to their hairs. I do think OWs are definitely not for everyone, and certainly not for a noob but care-wise they're not too bad and a bit of care, intelligence and forethought make them significantly less dangerous IMO.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't kept many Ts but based off of what I've seen on youtube videos I would definetly say OBTs and Pokies due to their aggression and speed. And also I would say the Goliath Birdeaters cause of their special care requirements.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I do think OWs are definitely not for everyone, and certainly not for a noob but care-wise they're not too bad and a bit of care, intelligence and forethought make them significantly less dangerous IMO.
And every few months we have a know-it-all new guy that insists on diving in head-first and getting OW's, in spite of all the advice to the contrary, and then loses his temper and calls us names (which is certainly convincing proof that he has the required maturity level). I say 'guy' because it seems that women seem to have more sense than to do this. It's always a guy, that feels he has to prove something about his manliness.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
And every few months we have a know-it-all new guy that insists on diving in head-first and getting OW's, in spite of all the advice to the contrary, and then loses his temper and calls us names (which is certainly convincing proof that he has the required maturity level). I say 'guy' because it seems that women seem to have more sense than to do this. It's always a guy, that feels he has to prove something about his manliness.
Can you give us an example, cause I've been on here for several months and have never seen anything like that.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

cold blood

Staff member
Really driller?? You must not notice or something. There was in fact, just a thread like poec described very recently...The "I don't care what others say, I'll do it my way no matter what" crowd does indeed exist and present its self fairly regularly.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Can you give us an example, cause I've been on here for several months and have never seen anything like that.
We had an explosive, foul-mouthed episode with a new guy over this about a month ago or so (I think the thread was deleted by a moderator). I think he's banned for life. Pretty colorful, I didn't think anyone could miss his tantrum. In the 15 months I've been here, I've probably seen 5 new guys self-destruct over this topic; they have way too much testosterone to take the hobby gradually in stages. They burst on the scene with lots of commotion and questions, argue with the advice they get (which they asked for), lose their temper, and get some advanced-level T's anyways, just to show us. A couple have them popped up later trying to sell the spiders that they've become afraid of (slings that had grown). It's pretty predictable. Seems like there's always another knucklehead around the corner. Just because you're not seeing the threads doesn't mean they don't happen.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I know some people won't keep taps because they are so fast. I believe Poec54 said that chasing a spastic spider all over his t room would get old very fast.
Tappies are slow motion after working with Heteropoda and Ctenids. :)

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
heteroscodra maculata. although they are drop dead gorgeous, the fact that they are the most venomous tarantula and their speed makes me believe that only the most experienced keepers should have one.
From where do you have this information? I have never heard they are the most venomous T! I have kept many of these and they are not that defensive either. They are fast though, but compared to tapinachenious they are slow as a turtle.

---------- Post added 08-26-2014 at 12:08 AM ----------

That is true, i keep some true spiders, but we do talk tarantulas here....

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Really driller?? You must not notice or something. There was in fact, just a thread like poec described very recently...The "I don't care what others say, I'll do it my way no matter what" crowd does indeed exist and present its self fairly regularly.
You mean that guy who ordered the OBT and the thread got deleted?

awiec

Arachnoprince
It's one thing to work with a fast arboreal; that's easier to justify when it's either big or has nice colors and/or markings. It's a different situation with a genus that's mostly small, dark spiders zipping around the cage (and the room).
No worries, you've stated before why you don't keep them. I was just offering another genus to the list and provided an example of why they are not as attractive to keep. Most of them are dark I can argree on that, T.gigas would be easy to spot but it's going to be very fast and possibly knock some cages over.

+1. That's a quick way to kill Avic slings, putting them in vials. Mine are in 16 oz deli cups (even at 1/2") and that's an infinitely better cage than a vial.
This is exactly what the breeder of my versi told me. He said people kill them cause they shove them in little vials when they will be just fine in large deli cups. I put mine in an 32oz container and it has done quite well, half the cup is webbed and it has a log that it hangs out on; they really aren't that hard to care for.

Lmao. I can understand that. I've never kept taps myself but only because the opportunity never presented itself I suppose. I've never kept a theraposa either but only because they've always been out of reach for me. I love pokies and psalmos so I'm no stranger to speed. I prefer the OW speed and attitude, not to mention the sleek look. I may look into the taps and see what strikes my fancy.
T.gigas while the fastest and biggest of the genus (5.5-6 inches) would probably be the one to start off with, they are very colorful so it will be easier to retrieve a bright orange spider and they are priced reasonably.

I've raised true spiders that can run circles around taps as well, which is why I'm comfortable working with them, but in regards to Tarantulas Taps are the speed kings.

Last edited:

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
The only one I have that makes me a little nervous is my Selenocosmia sp. Ebony. Not scared,but highly respectful.I believe they were among the most venomous of T's,as well. Not a beginner species,that's for sure.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think the thread should be labled: "Most work a keeper has to do to keep spp. XYZ".

There are people on here who started with one of those named a number of times and while I wouldn't ever suggest these to people getting into the hobby, it all comes down to common sense and doing the work to research and learn about the species before acquiring them.

Bottom line: It's us, the keepers, who need to advance. Just don't expect it to happen out of the blue, it requires work and research = Time. And patience + common sense are two requirements people need when they get into the hobby. Either have them, or quickly adapt to learn so.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Most of them are dark I can argree on that, T.gigas would be easy to spot but it's going to be very fast
Gigas is the one species in the genus that interests me at this point. But you never know. A year ago I wasn't keen on owning any Avics or Nhandus; now I have 10 species of Avics and 3 species of Nhandu.

hmbrower

Arachnosquire
Stromatopelma calceatum. /thread. Been doing this for some time, and S. calceatum is in a league of its own.

Speed=10
Venom=10
Defensiveness=10

awiec

Arachnoprince
Gigas is the one species in the genus that interests me at this point. But you never know. A year ago I wasn't keen on owning any Avics or Nhandus; now I have 10 species of Avics and 3 species of Nhandu.
I really do enjoy my T.gigas, it has never given me any issues, granted it's still a juvie but my pokies are more excitable than the tap is. But it certainly is not a spider for everyone so I nominated them for this thread :p

Medusa

Arachnoknight
What is one person's advanced is another person's easy T. I keep T.gigas and for some people, especially older people...
Aw, now, c'mon...at the stroke of midnight I turn 61... and I have a nice T. gigas, as well as some other fast OW species. Not taking offense...just giving you a hard time.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Aw, now, c'mon...at the stroke of midnight I turn 61... and I have a nice T. gigas, as well as some other fast OW species. Not taking offense...just giving you a hard time.
I figured someone would get me on that one, was more inferring that they are fast so if you have poor reflexes you're going to have a hard time. Plus you don't count, you're a super sixty one year old. And Happy Birthday.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I started off with a versi with no complications. I really think people don't like researching or put too much stock into care sheets. I mist it a few times a month and provide water caps, nothing hard there, but as I said originally some people have harder times with some species than others. My h sp Columbia is a little orange terror that makes my p.muticus look like a kitten, it's currently the most challenging t I have because it's so confrontational.
I don't have good luck with versi slings for whatever reason. I keep mine in deli cups with plenty of holes punched for cross-ventilation (if you knew me in person you'd know how particular I am about this). I've only kept a few, and the two that died were much smaller than the two that are still living however. In all honesty, It is a bit puzzling why those two died. I kept them the same way as I'm keeping the two I still have.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I don't have good luck with versi slings for whatever reason. I keep mine in deli cups with plenty of holes punched for cross-ventilation (if you knew me in person you'd know how particular I am about this). I've only kept a few, and the two that died were much smaller than the two that are still living however. In all honesty, It is a bit puzzling why those two died. I kept them the same way as I'm keeping the two I still have.
There are exceptions too, they may have wanted their habitat different or were just weak specimens. I had an a.anax sling die on me and I still can't figure out why

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
well, it's not ALWAYS a guy (not naming names).