Most advanced T you can think of...

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In the 15 months I've been here, I've probably seen 5 new guys self-destruct over this topic; they have way too much testosterone to take the hobby gradually in stages. They burst on the scene with lots of commotion and questions, argue with the advice they get (which they asked for), lose their temper, and get some advanced-level T's anyways, just to show us. A couple have them popped up later trying to sell the spiders that they've become afraid of (slings that had grown). It's pretty predictable. Seems like there's always another knucklehead around the corner. Just because you're not seeing the threads doesn't mean they don't happen.
I'll be on the lookout for those threads then. In the meantime, I think I'm going to set aside some popcorn and a lawnchair for when another one does pop up ;)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

cold blood

Staff member
I'll be on the lookout for those threads then. In the meantime, I think I'm going to set aside some popcorn and a lawnchair for when another one does pop up ;)

During the most recent "episode" there were several "popcorn" comments actually....lol. Idiocy can be entertaining to some, irritating to others...and generally deleted by the mods.

awiec

Arachnoprince

Just hang out long enough, I think in my first few months there was a guy with a pokie in his mouth and another who got mad when we pointed out that he had an lp not a t.stirmi.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just hang out long enough, I think in my first few months there was a guy with a pokie in his mouth and another who got mad when we pointed out that he had an lp not a t.stirmi.
:laugh: I remember both of those threads.

awiec

Arachnoprince
He put WHAT in his mouth?! Did he eat it then?
No it was a dumb stunt shot and he commented how it was struggling, he's lucky it didn't bite him, a 5 inch p.met can pack punch or that it wwasnt a species with hairs, he could have had serious complications.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
No it was a dumb stunt shot and he commented how it was struggling, he's lucky it didn't bite him, a 5 inch p.met can pack punch or that it wwasnt a species with hairs, he could have had serious complications.
Gah immagine the dumby trying to do it with their prised brachy GAAH! *shutters* that would be a disaster xs

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Haven't heard they're the hottest, nor that all the other candidates have been tested and compared to one another in a controlled setting. Maculata certainly isn't the fastest or more confrontational species. Not one for beginners, but they aren't quite the holy terror you make them out to be. They were the first baboon spider I bred (back in the mid 1990's), and I never had an issue with them running or attempting to bite. They're fairly shy. A lot of people own them (slings are cheap) I don't remember seeing any horror stories about them here.
huh. I've always heard that H. Maculata are the worst venom wise and are very flighty. maybe I'm mixing them up with another species. oh well.

---------- Post added 08-26-2014 at 06:06 PM ----------

During the most recent "episode" there were several "popcorn" comments actually....lol. Idiocy can be entertaining to some, irritating to others...and generally deleted by the mods.
was that the one with the P. Irminia?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
huh. I've always heard that H. Maculata are the worst venom wise and are very flighty. maybe I'm mixing them up with another species. oh well.

---------- Post added 08-26-2014 at 06:06 PM ----------

was that the one with the P. Irminia?
Probably said by one who has had a scare of one. The fact is that we dont know wich one are most venomous, but we do know wich genera who has a bad rep regarding their venom potency.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Poecilotheria ornata. I am still a firm believer that Tarantulas are not of medical importance. I believe that all the extreme bite reports are grossly exaggerated or allergic reactions, so I do not categorize toxicity with the level of diffculty. I am basing my opinion only on how hard the animals are for me to keep. The reason I am choosing ornata is in the twenty years I have been keeping T's, I have not been able to keep a sling or adult ornata for longer that six months. I have tried different setups and humidity options, but nothing works for me. I know lots of people keep them, but I have not been successful with these. It drives me nuts.
As far as I know, tarantulas lack a component to their venom and without it you cannot get an allergic reaction from their venom.

awiec

Arachnoprince
As far as I know, tarantulas lack a component to their venom and without it you cannot get an allergic reaction from their venom.
Correct they lack the macro molecules to kill you BUT some people will be more sensitive than others. Hairs don't bother me but my bf would swell up like a balloon and I think that he would have a worse reaction to a bite than I would as I don't even react to bee stings. Granted reactions to those types of things usually gets worse as you are exposed to it more so that might change for me as I get older.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If I recall correctly, several years ago it pretty well accepted as fact that one could not be allergic to spider venom. I may be misremembering but it seems there were plenty of threads dealing with that very topic and that was the universal consensus. It's a bit strange after a few years absence some things seem to have been forgotten

awiec

Arachnoprince
If I recall correctly, several years ago it pretty well accepted as fact that one could not be allergic to spider venom. I may be misremembering but it seems there were plenty of threads dealing with that very topic and that was the universal consensus. It's a bit strange after a few years absence some things seem to have been forgotten
I was referring to the fact that some people are more sensitive to venom than others. No one is going to die from a bite but some people will recover faster than others, as everyone is different.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's true enough. I noticed people on other threads talking about venom allergies though. I guess maybe if I go back and reread them I may have misunderstood them.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I noticed people on other threads talking about venom allergies though.
It has to do with tarantula venoms having peptides rather than proteins. I don't know that it's been confirmed that ALL tarantula venoms are like that though.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It has to do with tarantula venoms having peptides rather than proteins. I don't know that it's been confirmed that ALL tarantula venoms are like that though.
In addition, people with a severe and fatal allergy to bee-stings have been bitten by T's - one is even documented on YT. Got bitten by a G. pulchripes, no reaction besides the usual pain. While certain species can put you in miserable condition for a time X, afaik there's no scientifically described prove for a possibility of an allergic reaction. Which is exactly the reason why I really have to refrain starting a debate about that whenever I hear breeders and keepers over here stubbornly say it's a fact :mad:

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't kept many Ts but based off of what I've seen on youtube videos I would definetly say OBTs and Pokies due to their aggression and speed. And also I would say the Goliath Birdeaters cause of their special care requirements.

I would also say that the tappies are fragile because of all these posts saying that their tappies died.