My "Criketarium" - Cheap rubber made.

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well i've had baby crix before and here's how ya do it. Well I put some females with the males in a different cage. Put 2 females to every male, so you will get more eggs. Just put eco earth, or another kind of coco fibre, as the substrate for them. I just had at the time 2 females and 1 male and I got about 300. You might get alot more because I sort of gave up and didn't keep the the eco earth always moist. Just put some carrots or a cut up potato on the substrate for food. I just put a bottle cap full of mixed cereal, dog and cat food, that is all crushed up. I just had 3 adults crickets though, so if you have alot more you would need a bigger container for the food. Just keep the crickets in there for a week or so then take them out. If the temp. is higher they will hatch sooner.
The temperature for mine was about 75-80 degrees so It took 3 weeks or a little more to hatch. Once they hatch just do the same as the adults. Put the
food
on
something though, or it will make mold on the coco fibre. Put some potatoes and carrots like I said before in there for moisture. And you must keep the substrate moist or you will get no crickets. I just have had my baby crickets for just 2 weeks now, and their growinf pretty good. Well I'll get pictures later today or tommorow to show you how they are.

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's the same tank just without the egg crate. It just has about three adult crix in there right now, but it usually has 2 dozen for my FBT's.

Here's the same tank just with the egg crate on them.

I'll show the baby crix tank once I get them downloaded into the pc.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I decided not to make a new thread for this as to not make anyone angry. Well my cricket eggs started hatching the other day and i just noticed today because they are so small. They are looking good, thanks for the hints on getting started!

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's awesome, if they just hatched keep your substrate still mositen for about a week or a little less becasue more will hatch just not really wet because it will kill the crix. In about a week or less you will start to actually see how many you got, because they grow alot I think in just one week. And make sure you always have a water source in whatever you have your crix in or alot will die. Well good luck. Ask if ya have more questions.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is by far the coolest hobby, i feel kinda bad that i spend more time working on my crickets than i do on my T's. I can't even count how many baby crickets there are, i count the ones i can see from above and then when i look from the bottom there are tons more under the food. They seem to be keeping pretty well and i don't notice a smell, probably because i clean the cage every day or so. By clean i mean change out the water dish and make sure to take out the few dead crickets. But i haven't had any dead ones in a while so im happy about that. I will hopefully be able to post some pictures on here later. Just wanted to let everyone know how it was going with my cricks.

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So man the smell comes mainly from the poo, i clean my cages every week or so. When i used to have baby crickets they didn;t get to smell alot, but now that they have grown ,,, good heaven it really gets to smell. that because they only eat and poo the whole day. ;)

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In that large cricket keeper up there, I have about 5 dozen in there and usually 3 dozen and I haven't changed it for about a month and a half and it was perfect now it's starting to smell. Plus there's baby crix that have hatched in there so there's litterally hundreds now. I have an extra 10 gallon tank that I just got and I was wondering if I should use that for some crix. So what do you all think, should I put the larger crix in the 10 gallon, and put the baby crix in the large crix keeper or the other way around.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
roaches

Life could be so much easier. Roaches are easier to breed, much cleaner, and healthier. Plus they don't have the stench. ROACHES RULE!!!
www.blaberus.com
James

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not

Ask anyone who has kept both and roaches will win hands down. Way easier, cleaner, and better for your pets. It's all about breaking the mental barrier in your mind about keeping them and then you will join an ever growing crowd of people using the next generation of feeders.
James

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
james said:
Ask anyone who has kept both and roaches will win hands down. Way easier, cleaner, and better for your pets. It's all about breaking the mental barrier in your mind about keeping them and then you will join an ever growing crowd of people using the next generation of feeders.
James

I agree with what he says except for the stench (a roach farm smell far more horrible tha a crix farm) and the are not more hyginic than crix. ;) A friend of mine has a roach far its hell on earth.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cpt.nemO said:
(...) (a roach farm smell far more horrible tha a crix farm) and the are not more hyginic than crix. ;) A friend of mine has a roach far its hell on earth.
I can't agree. I had 6 crix species and 4 roach species. Crix smell was much worse, especially in Gryllus bimaculatus colony.
If you keep them in correct conditions, roaches can be very clean.

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dark Raptor said:
I can't agree. I had 6 crix species and 4 roach species. Crix smell was much worse, especially in Gryllus bimaculatus colony.
If you keep them in correct conditions, roaches can be very clean.

I see do you think you could give as a pictorial on roaches ??

Thanks man.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cpt.nemO said:
I see do you think you could give as a pictorial on roaches ??

Thanks man.
This is the way I keep all my roaches, exept I use better ventilation now.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=39260

I give them fresh food and prevent it from moulding. I have now bad smell from their colonies.

Here are my roaches (I had also Periplaneta americana for a short time):
http://darkraptor.fateback.com/karaczany.html

And all crix species:
http://darkraptor.fateback.com/prostoskrzydle.html

...and my small mistake :8o - I had 5 crix species :)

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
roaches

Your friend must be doing something wrong. Right now I have 3 rack systems with 36 total bins in a 7' by 9' room. I would estimate I have 20-30 thousands roaches in the room and no smell at all. One container of crickets smells worse than all the roaches. If you never clean the bins or have a group dying for some reason they will smell, but on an everyday basis they have no small at all. There are people out there that never clean there bins or rely on other bugs to eat away the dead, but I am not one of those people. I keep my set-ups simple and easy so cleaning can be done on a regular basis.
James
www.blaberus.com

I now have 3 racks like this that are all full. The bins slide in and the top is a laminated peg board for ventilation.

Attachments

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Something i wanted so bad to give as feeders, are anoles, but we donlt get em here. Only a few night geckos. And i feel very sorry for them so i don;t give them as pray.