Nhandu chromatus, anyone?

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
nope. wolfpak (who also posts here) did.

i got it from him when the spider was about 3 inches or so in legspan (last December). its molted twice since then. :)

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
N. chromatus is not a difficult spider to care for. I see no problems with having one as long as you keep it hands off, they are a bit on the nervous side.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
mine is pretty nervous as well...it's around the 4.5-4.75" mark, i received it at about 3.5". As most others have said, mine is usually extremely skittish/nervous...sometimes if i so much as look towards it it will run back to it's hide, sometimes around the tank once or twice before realizing it HAS a place to hide. Other times...it refuses to move, even when tapped on the leg or abdomen. I have had a few threat displays out of it and enough defensiveness to make me keep my hand well out of the tank.

Frankly...even though it IS a pretty T it hides a lot but it, as mentioned earlier, will sometimes wander around a lot and stay out in view (just don't look at it). I have been seriously considering selling/trading it for an A. geniculata...but I wanna see what it does after it's next molt. Definitely not on my list to get any more of...although the ghostly gray carapace is interesting :)

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
JetOoi said:
at this tiny size what you feed it with?
i feed my smallest slings 1 week old crickets. even the smallest one i have (ironically, the 1/4" n chromatus) will take them live..i dont even have to take a leg off.

Amanda said:
My 1/4" N. chromatus is arriving Thursday, and I'm SO excited! It's one of 4 Ts coming, but I think I'm excited about this one the most.
On a side note... how do you pronounce Nhandu?
we'll i've never heard anyone say it, and i dont know if i've ever spoken the word out loud..but in my head i pronounce it kinda like nahn-do :confused:
also..what are the other ts you are getting?

JetOoi

Arachnopeon
xgrafcorex said:
i feed my smallest slings 1 week old crickets. even the smallest one i have (ironically, the 1/4" n chromatus) will take them live..i dont even have to take a leg off.
I can't get pinhead crickets here. I feed my 0.6" rosea sling with mosquito I catched for 1 week. It seems happy with that however I already get some fat mealworm few days ago. Plan to cut into small pcs and feed the tiny rosea tomorrow.Wonder will T get necessary nutrient from mosquito.... {D

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
JetOoi said:
I can't get pinhead crickets here. I feed my 0.6" rosea sling with mosquito I catched for 1 week. It seems happy with that however I already get some fat mealworm few days ago. Plan to cut into small pcs and feed the tiny rosea tomorrow.Wonder will T get necessary nutrient from mosquito.... {D
i'm sure it gets at least some nutrients from them. but you have to be careful as it wouldn't be unlikely for a mosquito to have something(disease/parasite) that could be harmful to your t. also if you are putting cut up worm segments in a vial, keep and eye on them, they will mold up fairly quick...more so with extra moisture in the vial. i had it happen with my first chromatus and i had to rehouse it. luckily it was ok and has molted twice since then. after that i started using the pinhead crickets.

you could eventually start your own cricket colony if you can get crickets somewhere. also flightless fruit flies are very small.

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a 2” N. Chromatus. It’s a nervous freak! Runs and hides at every moment. Won’t take any prekill prey until I leave the room. It’s an odd bugger but cool. An early color shower too!

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea, I snap the heads. I don't have to worry about them laying eggs, running away from the T and if the don't eat (which is very rare) its easy removal.

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are beautiful T's but are they all as evil as my mom's Ursula? Sheesh, nicknamed her "the facehugger" because she looks like she is about to leap out of her enclosure at you as soon as you open it. :rolleyes:

Laura