P. cancerides

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
the 8th one finally molted but by this time the others are a few crickets away from pre molt again lol...its a shame they don't keep the blue

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I actually just received my first tarantula(s) yesterday, but sadly two were DOA and the only surviving one was a P. cancerides that is .75". I don't mean to hijack your thread in any means, but it's currently kept in a 4 x 4 x4 enclosure with 2 inches of sub. If your slings are around .75" or were around that size, how long did it take them to molt? How often do you feed them and what temp? Thansk!

bigt0006

Arachnosquire
I just got a 5-6 inch prob male the other day hes super fast and always out in the open

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk 2

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I just got a 5-6 inch prob male the other day hes super fast and always out in the open
http:/
/img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/31/egetu6yp.jpg

you sure this is a male?

you didn't say if its an immature male or not but it's definitely not an adult they have a purple carapace.

---------- Post added 07-30-2014 at 04:38 PM ----------

I actually just received my first tarantula(s) yesterday, but sadly two were DOA and the only surviving one was a P. cancerides that is .75". I don't mean to hijack your thread in any means, but it's currently kept in a 4 x 4 x4 enclosure with 2 inches of sub. If your slings are around .75" or were around that size, how long did it take them to molt? How often do you feed them and what temp? Thansk!
I'm bad with measurements however I keep mine out in a shed so they might grow a little faster than most people's Ts who keep them indoors.

Here in Georgia, it can be 80 degrees by 7am and still be hot after the the sun goes down at night.

These Ts grow faster than many other terrestrials.

I feed mine as much as they will eat up to pre molt, if I had to make a guess I'd say after they harden from a molt all the way up to the next molt they probably each eat about three - four Crickets 2 sizes up from pin head crickets.

Yours will do fine at indoor Temps they just might not grow as fast as mine, but don't get me wrong my slings do not speed through sling stage they stilltake about 2 weeks before they actually molt or something like that.

Remember with food, the hotter it is the more food your Ts will put away.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
I just offer mine food once a week as I keep mine at 75 during the day and 68 at night. Temperatures really don't matter for most Ts so whatever temp you are comfortable at, your T will be too. I kept mine in slighty larger containers as it loves to dig and is very fast in speed and growth, atm it is in a large kritter keeper 3/4 full of peat moss that I will moisten half of about every 8-10 days.
Here are some molt dates for mine as I have had him/her for about 7 months:
3/4/14
6/25/14
Now that does not look impressive but between those molts it has gone from 1 inch to 2.75 inches, mine does not molt often but when it does its quite the difference. At this stage it has become a more purple hue on the legs and abdomen and has a copper-ish carapace now. I expect another molt in by October and it should exceed the 3 inch mark and the molt should be good enough to where I can sex it. While what I have is a P.sp Purple the care and growth patterns I think are pretty similar for the whole genus.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Have you vent sexed it? It's possible, I don't know for sure though, but subadult male Phormictopus and Pamphobeteus may have more color on their carapace (yours does not). Anyone with any experience in this?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Have you vent sexed it? It's possible, I don't know for sure though, but subadult male Phormictopus and Pamphobeteus may have more color on their carapace (yours does not). Anyone with any experience in this?
One of the breeders I talked to said that most of the time the males and females look pretty similar and it isn't until the sub-adult/pre-ultimate stage that you see differences. Granted he said that he saw females be colorful until their adult molt and males drab until their adult molt so I think there may be species or individual differences.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I just offer mine food once a week as I keep mine at 75 during the day and 68 at night. Temperatures really don't matter for most Ts so whatever temp you are comfortable at, your T will be too. I kept mine in slighty larger containers as it loves to dig and is very fast in speed and growth, atm it is in a large kritter keeper 3/4 full of peat moss that I will moisten half of about every 8-10 days.
Here are some molt dates for mine as I have had him/her for about 7 months:
3/4/14
6/25/14
Now that does not look impressive but between those molts it has gone from 1 inch to 2.75 inches, mine does not molt often but when it does its quite the difference. At this stage it has become a more purple hue on the legs and abdomen and has a copper-ish carapace now. I expect another molt in by October and it should exceed the 3 inch mark and the molt should be good enough to where I can sex it. While what I have is a P.sp Purple the care and growth patterns I think are pretty similar for the whole genus.
So far I haven't witnessed any digging, but then again I did just receive it. How exactly do you moisten it? I've been just taking a spoon and just dropping water droplets around the water bowl. When yours was around .75" did you mist frequently so when it molts it'll be easier for the T?

Thanks!

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
So far I haven't witnessed any digging, but then again I did just receive it. How exactly do you moisten it? I've been just taking a spoon and just dropping water droplets around the water bowl. When yours was around .75" did you mist frequently so when it molts it'll be easier for the T?

Thanks!
you can buy spray bottles from the dollar store and use sink water.

I think only 2 out of my 8 slings actually dig.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
you can buy spray bottles from the dollar store and use sink water.

I think only 2 out of my 8 slings actually dig.
Gotcha! Did you mist your slings regularly when they were 3/4 of an inch?

EmberPhase

Arachnopeon
I have seen that same ad about these T's, I'm trying to decide if I want a P.cancerides. I have a P sp. purple. What's the thought? Should I obtain some of these slings? Anyone else in GA have slings (of any kind) for sale?

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Gotcha! Did you mist your slings regularly when they were 3/4 of an inch?
since I keep mine in a shed and I just mist the lid and the outside heat makes condensation which prevents my need to mist the substrate at all

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Get a syringe, moisten the sub with that instead of a mister....easier, more precise and more effective.
Where would you find a syringe with a needle? Other than online, I'd rather get it in store.

awiec

Arachnoprince

Thanks!
I provided a water cap and moisten the sub with a syringe, keeps everything very simple. I don't really even mist my smallest slings as its easier just to drop a few drips of water onto the sub.

Where would you find a syringe with a needle? Other than online, I'd rather get it in store.
Medical supply stores or I personally use a meat syringe which most grocers carry these days. I prefer my syringe as its precise and I don't have to worry about mites as much as I can wet the underside of the sub.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I provided a water cap and moisten the sub with a syringe, keeps everything very simple. I don't really even mist my smallest slings as its easier just to drop a few drips of water onto the sub.

Medical supply stores or I personally use a meat syringe which most grocers carry these days. I prefer my syringe as its precise and I don't have to worry about mites as much as I can wet the underside of the sub.
Okay thanks! So you don't put water directly onto the sub? How deep do you inject the water into the sub?

bigt0006

Arachnosquire
its a little over 5 inches so dont think its mature yet its a brand new T to me havent even had it for a week. Bought it from jamies tarantulas as a suspect male

awiec

Arachnoprince
Okay thanks! So you don't put water directly onto the sub? How deep do you inject the water into the sub?
Usually at the bottom but sometime the water gets to the surface, my Ts seem to be fine with it so I keep doing it, I still provide water as that lets them drink and the moist sub keep the humidity up. I have about 4-5 inches of sub in my pamph and phormic cage so I usually wet about 1-2 inches of the bottom sub, sometimes more if I am going away for a bit. I make sure that there is a dry side though in case they want some variation.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Usually at the bottom but sometime the water gets to the surface, my Ts seem to be fine with it so I keep doing it, I still provide water as that lets them drink and the moist sub keep the humidity up. I have about 4-5 inches of sub in my pamph and phormic cage so I usually wet about 1-2 inches of the bottom sub, sometimes more if I am going away for a bit. I make sure that there is a dry side though in case they want some variation.
Oh okay gotcha. Does adding water at the bottom help stop mold from growing? Thanks and sorry for the dumb question!

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Oh okay gotcha. Does adding water at the bottom help stop mold from growing? Thanks and sorry for the dumb question!
Proper ventilation stops mold from growing.

For slings I always wet a the top of the sub so they can drink easily. I also move the "moistened" area occasionally, which also helps deter mold and such.