P. cancerides

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Proper ventilation stops mold from growing.

For slings I always wet a the top of the sub so they can drink easily. I also move the "moistened" area occasionally, which also helps deter mold and such.
Okay gotcha!
Does adding water in the bottom of the cage help with humidity in a major way?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Proper ventilation stops mold from growing.

For slings I always wet a the top of the sub so they can drink easily. I also move the "moistened" area occasionally, which also helps deter mold and such.
Yeah I do this for slings too. I was talking about my juvie set-up as they can be treated more like their adult counterparts. I provide good ventilation as that allows the sub to dry out at a pace that will deter mold growth as phormics are pretty hardy and forgiving.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Yeah I do this for slings too. I was talking about my juvie set-up as they can be treated more like their adult counterparts. I provide good ventilation as that allows the sub to dry out at a pace that will deter mold growth as phormics are pretty hardy and forgiving.
Do you put holes corresponding to where you insert the syringe to put in the water or do you put holes in above the sub level?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
So you don't put water directly onto the sub? How deep do you inject the water into the sub?
I just sprinkle some water on the substrate when it starts to dry. I've never seen the need to inject water deeper down.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I think all of my slings of this species are now at this abdomen size.

Today is 7-31-2014, I will keep you informed about how long it takes them from now to the next molt.

I'm going to probably today or tomorrow buy more baby crickets, yesterday I fed them and this morning I checked on them out of 8 crickets only 2 were untouched so I won't be adding any more crickets to these slings enclosures until after they molt and harden up.

I've noticed that with P. cancerides slings anyway not sure about other species, once their abdomen turns red (you'll see it turn red the bigger it gets until it stretches out it stays the pretty blue) that's when they slowly stop accepting food.

When they stop accepting food I just mist the lid once a day and leave em alone.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Do you put holes corresponding to where you insert the syringe to put in the water or do you put holes in above the sub level?
I just open the cage lid as it is in a critter keeper. I only inject water below the surface because I've had an explosion of wood mites before (harmless to the T) which annoy me and I live with my step father who is paranoid that the spiders will get out and bite him and pass diseases to him. So it's mainly so I don't have to hear him complain about my "filthy animals".

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
ok so yesterday 6 out of 8 of these baby molted so from this size up I'll be feeding them adult crickets.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've got 4 species of young Phormictopus and they're always hungry, and not afraid to tackle relatively large prey (unless premolt).