paassatt's photo thread

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Which one, the H. maculata? I don't know when she last molted, but I'm guessing the seller I got her from didn't want to keep her too fat for the sake of avoiding any problems in shipping her. I'll be fattening her up, so no need to worry there. ;)
You absolutely correct, I found lighter body animals do a lot better in shipping then heavy body animals.

Very nice pictures of H.maculata :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You absolutely correct, I found lighter body animals do a lot better in shipping then heavy body animals.

Very nice pictures of H.maculata :)
Obviously less chance of rupture, for sure.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was doing some water dish refills and the Homoeomma sp. 'Blue' decided to come out for a little walk/photo shoot.

A shot of my female Poecioltheria subfusca

Monocentropus balfouri spiderling. Still waiting on the adult colors to start showing...

Female Lasiodora parahybana

PlaidJaguar

Arachnoknight
That Homoemma is gorgeous! It looks a lot like a Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi. Is it metallic?

Also, loving the fuzzy baby M. balfouri. :3

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That Homoemma is gorgeous! It looks a lot like a Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi. Is it metallic?
Yeah the two species certainly do look pretty similar...I bought it as a small spiderling from a very reputable source as Homoeomma sp. 'Blue', so I'm sticking with that classification unless proved otherwise. And what do you mean by metallic? I think maybe you're referring to the mirror patch on the abdomen, but I'm not sure... :?

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fed my female Ceratogyrus marshalli last night and got some cool (I think they are, anyway) pictures of her webbed retreat while she was munching. I like the circular shape of it.

And a shot of my female Brachypelma albiceps because I mean come on, she's gorgeous

Female Heteroscodra maculata

Here she is making a cricket's day a little less enjoyable

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Homoeomma sp blue Peru is definitely an under-rated species. I love my girl, even though she is camera shy. And very different from Euathlus pulcherimaklaasi, though I guess sort of similar.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually, I'm not entirely sure what you have there, but I'm starting to doubt it's Homoeomma sp. "blue", mate. Reason is simply that that particular species doesn't have reddish satae on it at all once they have their full coloration. In contrast, Thrixopelma cyaneolum does have them and looks nearly the same - it could hence be you have a hybrid (unless you know the source) maybe?

Some links regarding that (both are from a german breeder of both species btw):
Homoeomma => http://www.aracmania-forum.com/index.php?page=LexiconItem&id=150 (check the little box, then hit "Akzeptieren")
Thrixopelma => http://www.aracmania-forum.com/index.php?page=LexiconItem&id=47 (same as with the other)

I could be wrong, pictures deceiving and stuff, but worth to check on it, I guess.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually, I'm not entirely sure what you have there, but I'm starting to doubt it's Homoeomma sp. "blue", mate. Reason is simply that that particular species doesn't have reddish satae on it at all once they have their full coloration. In contrast, Thrixopelma cyaneolum does have them and looks nearly the same - it could hence be you have a hybrid (unless you know the source) maybe?

Some links regarding that (both are from a german breeder of both species btw):
Homoeomma => http://www.aracmania-forum.com/index.php?page=LexiconItem&id=150 (check the little box, then hit "Akzeptieren")
Thrixopelma => http://www.aracmania-forum.com/index.php?page=LexiconItem&id=47 (same as with the other)

I could be wrong, pictures deceiving and stuff, but worth to check on it, I guess.
Hey Jan,

I remember you sending me some links a few months ago through PM about the differences in Homoeomma and Thrixopelma as well. I'll have to go back and try to find those and hope I didn't delete them. Oh, and I started taking a German language course a couple weeks ago, so hopefully soon I'll be able to fully participate in discussions on some of the German spider forums. Any help with my studies would certainly be appreciated ;)
-Chris

Edit: One reason I kind of lean away from it being a Thrixopelma though is its lack of arboreal tendencies at all. Like not even close to being considered semi-arboreal. This is a terrestrial tarantula all the way. :?

Last edited by a moderator:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If I'm not mistaken, Chris and I got our H. sp blues from the same breeder. Or they originated from the same breeder. I think the 'red' is the last fading of juvenile/subadult colors and lighting/flash contributes to its intensity. On mine, it is more rust colored and is less with each subsequent molt. And I could be full of tarantula poop, too. :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mine never showed that much red and once they gain complete adult color, there's no whatsover red on them left. If there is, it's usually turning out to be T.cyaneolum that's why I mentioned it. Like I stated I have been worng before, it simply came to my mind and I thought I throw it out there.

Also...interesting signature, Joyce :D

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine never showed that much red and once they gain complete adult color, there's no whatsover red on them left. If there is, it's usually turning out to be T.cyaneolum that's why I mentioned it. Like I stated I have been worng before, it simply came to my mind and I thought I throw it out there.

Also...interesting signature, Joyce :D
Mine just has a flash of rust at the very cranial abdomen, right at the pedicel. I'd still consider her a subadult since at last molt in September her spermathacae were just starting to darken.

Ya like that signature, do ya? LOL

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A couple new additions arrived yesterday.

Poecilotheria vittata sling

Female Paraphysa scofra

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
That P. subfusca looks AWESOME! I can't wait for temps to warm up so I can get mine. :)

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's the Highland form, correct? The lowland are more chocolate than blackish if I remember correctly. At least my MM was before he matured.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's the Highland form, correct? The lowland are more chocolate than blackish if I remember correctly. At least my MM was before he matured.
Yeah, she's a highland form. Good to hear from you Jan, hope everything is well!

-Chris