Pet's you wish weren't sold at pet stores

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pittbulllady, heres my .02.... you wanna keep tigers and stuff, awesome til it kills you and escapes and becomes law enforcements problem, AKA my problem. like the lady with the chimps....if you wanna keep something that cannot be contained in a terrarium, and is dangerous, move to a third world garbage dump like india. i hear they have plenty of cuddly tigers there for you smart people........
That's pretty offensive bro. You shouldn't insult another country or their people. Just saying... Any who. chimps, tigers, stuff like that I agree upon. And even snakes over 6ft or so. Large monitors as well. Crocs and anything that's like it(in size and danger level). Large predatory birds. Macaws(they're very large and I think they just belong in the wild but that's just my opinion).

If a person really wants to go into an extreme like that-- they should just work in a zoo or a rehab for animals. Where they're actually helping the species survive and thrive.

Animals rely on primal instincts more so than humans do. Even though humans are animals-- they're more evolved/advanced therefore don't rely overly on instincts.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

That's what I'm talking about. So breeders in my opinion are no different. I basically lost almost 150dollars(add up with the shipping and handling) I think it was actually 170? They didn't even do anything.

+1
My current pet store is smallish but they listen to advice use full spectrum on the reptiles reasonable tank sizes etc...
good ppl and bad in both options.
The thing is the fact there's always going to be a broad variety of people. People think -ALL- breeders are the "shiz" and are perfect and such. when in reality they're just the same and sometimes even worse(though not all the times). problem is-- if a breeder rips you off they live away so you can't do crud about it. Now if a petstore screws you over--- hell you can march in there and complain so much or even take it to their boss that they end up doing stuff in the long run. As long as its not something really stupid like asking to return an animal when you basically was at fault for its death.

Warranties that breeders give are sometimes stupid. A week is not enough to show if a cold blooded animal is ill. Cold blooded animals don't show illness straight away. When they do it just means it was piling up from a long time. SO you could buy a snake now and it can come tommorrow and its fine for a week but like 2months later it dies on you and it wasn't even on your part. Because it may have not even shown it! Though that's why its said you should take the animal to the vet right after you receive it!

But most don't have the time for an immediete vet visit-- plus there's a chance that the vet maybe busy. It's not really easy like most people online make it seem. It's really a long list of work.

Anywho. if I buy online I'll be extremely picky about whom I buy it from. I'd check reviews online from several online sources that are devoted. As well as look online to see if they have a criminal record or something. Thing is you shouldn't have to do that extra work when you're working with a breeder! hell you're paying 3x as much as you are paying from a breeder than a store! It's their job to do what they have to do! You're paying them extra--- so why should you pay for "less"? Pictures don't mean squat to me. Most breeders can just look up a picture online. If I buy from a breeder ill ask the breeder to give me an exact picture of the animal and put in a paper signature in the pic next to it. Like get a piece of paper that says "I'm a breeder----" with their name on it. To know its legit. Even videos will be accepted as long as its new and of the said animal. Because it's easy to get scammed online.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The problem with questioning people is that their are different ways to succeed with animals. Just because you don't provide the exact same conditions/cage sizes/etc. as someone else doesn't mean your animals are doomed to die-or suffer.

Laws based off of this concept often prevent knowledgeable keepers from humanely/economically caring for their animals. Such as the laws in UK banning use of fishtanks smaller than 10gallons. Utterly ridiculous. Their are plenty of fish that can spend their entire lives and thrive in tanks smaller than that(I've kept colonies of Everglades pygmy sunfish in 2-3 gallon critter keepers). Frequently such legislation will insist that animals must always be provided water/food etc. which again is ridiculous as their are many reasons in captivity why animals may not be given water dishes or food as frequently as people suppose they should be fed/watered.

Education is the answer-not blanket bans or animal care legislation.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The problem with questioning people is that their are different ways to succeed with animals. Just because you don't provide the exact same conditions/cage sizes/etc. as someone else doesn't mean your animals are doomed to die-or suffer.

Laws based off of this concept often prevent knowledgeable keepers from humanely/economically caring for their animals. Such as the laws in UK banning use of fishtanks smaller than 10gallons. Utterly ridiculous. Their are plenty of fish that can spend their entire lives and thrive in tanks smaller than that(I've kept colonies of Everglades pygmy sunfish in 2-3 gallon critter keepers). Frequently such legislation will insist that animals must always be provided water/food etc. which again is ridiculous as their are many reasons in captivity why animals may not be given water dishes or food as frequently as people suppose they should be fed/watered.

Education is the answer-not blanket bans or animal care legislation.
Hmm..... You may actually have a solid good point there... I wonder.... I'll look into this. I'm wondering if like say I get two animals of the same species, same genus, same "everything". But like... Okay say you get a goldfish and it's suppose to be like 1goldfish per 20gallons and after the first 20gallons it's just 10gallons per the goldfish(so 30gallons for 2). Wonder if like one can be kept in a 10 and another in a 30with some "friends". I'd be able to see if they both would be healthy and happy. I think it just depends on the animal itself though. Like not the species. Just individual. You know what I mean?

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I tottally agree I dont trust pet stores and I beleive you should buy from private breeders, and if you gat it you should accept the responcibility of owning it

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was quite stunned when I found out that pet stores in the US were selling sugar gliders. This just doesn't seem right to me. Here in Australia, I haven't even heard of any cases of them being available in pet stores. Regardless, I think that a sugar glider's place is out in nature, gliding from tree to tree.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pittbulllady, heres my .02.... you wanna keep tigers and stuff, awesome til it kills you and escapes and becomes law enforcements problem, AKA my problem. like the lady with the chimps....if you wanna keep something that cannot be contained in a terrarium, and is dangerous, move to a third world garbage dump like india. i hear they have plenty of cuddly tigers there for you smart people........
Thank You. No one EVER seems to think of their neighbors in a situation like this. I have seen several people here and on other sites who keep venomous snakes in an APARTMENT building. I'm sure these people are more than capable of caring for the snake, but what happens if it escapes? Do you have anti venom, are your neighbors aware, do they know what the snake looks like, are their children educated on how to react to a looose cobra, etc, etc. It also goes beyond whether you have the capacity to care for the animal, do you also have the capacity (and the will) to deal with it if it escapes. In other words; Are there barrier fences, safe areas, lock out areas, alarms, tranquilizers, high caliber weapons, or plans in case of escape. And while law enforcement is adequatly prepared to handle people, they are usually poorly trained and equipped to handle a loose wild animal. People need to realize it's not a right to own pets, but a privilege.

And before anyone pulls the "brainwashed by the media" card, I've spent the better part of my adult life working in a professional setting with animals. Any of my opinions have been shaped by experiences me and my colleagues have shared and not by what the AP tells me.

Last edited:

jnjoe89

Arachnopeon
pac man frogs-people think they uber tight till all they see is a beautiful rock sitting in the corner doing nothing.
goldfish-I just don't like goldfish
turtles- not enough people know how to care for aquatic turtles properly.
most inverts-people don't care for them properly
hedgehogs- people buy them as a spur of the moment choice, and hedgehogs in pet stores are usually milled.
exotic birds-not properly cared for.
cats and dogs-don't buy from pet stores or from breeders, people need to adopt pets that already don't have homes.-make breeding cat's and dogs illegal.

I'm OK with the above animals being sold at specialized stores with knowledgeable employees and such. Except for gold fish. and cat's and dogs.
people would adopt more pets if there wasnt a stupid adoption fee

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
people would adopt more pets if there wasnt a stupid adoption fee
The stupid adoption fee usually covers medical and husbandry costs to the person taking care of the animal to be adopted.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Okay I've gotta have some input here.

Hermit crabs shouldn't be sold in stores. I'm tired of seeing the painted shells and terrible conditions.

Pet store pets should be captive bred and taken care of in the store. You should have to do research on the animal you want well in advance. You wanna see a really neat fish that is sold as fresh water look at the Dragon Goby.

As for this whole tiger chimp discussion. I've been volunteering at a large cat sanctuary for three years now. I've seen a 600Lb tiger jump out of an oak tree and didn't hear him until all fours where on the ground. They are not something to be taken lightly. I’ve had tigers pretend to be sleeping while I cleaned their enclosure (from the outside) only to have them pounce at me. But I’ve also heard them chuff at me, I’ve heard cougars purr (they are the largest cat that can purr). They can be sweet animals but you have to treat them as just that. I've seen what bad owners can do to pet store variety animals....imagine a big cat...it's bad enough that domestic cats are declawed. One particularly bad case that I've been involved in was a pair of Bengal tigers, one white one orange (they were breeding for white). The orange tiger is missing her canine teeth and according to the University of Florida has scar tissue in her throat. I suspect this was from a chain around her throat....now she has to have chicken ground up into giant meatballs so she doesn't choke.

People lose site that animals are animals. I've seen domestic cats cause severe damage to hands and wrists and legs and they are being bred with servals......Has anyone else heard the sound as a serval bites through a chicken leg as if were butter?
Now I'm not saying that people don't have a right to keep these animals but just remember if an animal (no matter what animal) gets out and hurts someone else they are going to suffer much more than you will.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with this website but here it is http://www.rexano.org//index.htm It’s a site about animal welfare. But it’s filled with propaganda same as PETA.

Bottom line is that animals not to mention exotics shouldn’t be sold willy nilly to whoever has the cash.

As exotic pet owners we have to protect our right to own exotics as well as educate new owners and potential owners.

:D You don’t even wanna hear my animal testing rant…Oh and DO NOT SUPPORT PHOTO CUBS!

Redfield

Arachnopeon
Bearded dragons

It wouldn't be so bad if they just sold adults but the babies eat so much and in a lot of cases the buyers don't do it right or calcium dust.

And a lot of them look sickly in my petstores from not enough calcium. :(

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay I've gotta have some input here.

Hermit crabs shouldn't be sold in stores. I'm tired of seeing the painted shells and terrible conditions.

Pet store pets should be captive bred and taken care of in the store. You should have to do research on the animal you want well in advance. You wanna see a really neat fish that is sold as fresh water look at the Dragon Goby.

As for this whole tiger chimp discussion. I've been volunteering at a large cat sanctuary for three years now. I've seen a 600Lb tiger jump out of an oak tree and didn't hear him until all fours where on the ground. They are not something to be taken lightly. I’ve had tigers pretend to be sleeping while I cleaned their enclosure (from the outside) only to have them pounce at me. But I’ve also heard them chuff at me, I’ve heard cougars purr (they are the largest cat that can purr). They can be sweet animals but you have to treat them as just that. I've seen what bad owners can do to pet store variety animals....imagine a big cat...it's bad enough that domestic cats are declawed. One particularly bad case that I've been involved in was a pair of Bengal tigers, one white one orange (they were breeding for white). The orange tiger is missing her canine teeth and according to the University of Florida has scar tissue in her throat. I suspect this was from a chain around her throat....now she has to have chicken ground up into giant meatballs so she doesn't choke.

People lose site that animals are animals. I've seen domestic cats cause severe damage to hands and wrists and legs and they are being bred with servals......Has anyone else heard the sound as a serval bites through a chicken leg as if were butter?
Now I'm not saying that people don't have a right to keep these animals but just remember if an animal (no matter what animal) gets out and hurts someone else they are going to suffer much more than you will.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with this website but here it is http://www.rexano.org//index.htm It’s a site about animal welfare. But it’s filled with propaganda same as PETA.

Bottom line is that animals not to mention exotics shouldn’t be sold willy nilly to whoever has the cash.

As exotic pet owners we have to protect our right to own exotics as well as educate new owners and potential owners.

:D You don’t even wanna hear my animal testing rant…Oh and DO NOT SUPPORT PHOTO CUBS!
Big Cat Rescue? I volunteered there when it was still Wildlife on Easy St.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Not if you paid me...but that is a different rant also. There are two cougars from Easy street there who just turned 20 :D and have been away from Easy street since they were 7 days old.

EricRoscoe2

Arachnopeon
Baby Gators. I know of a few stores which sell them for $99.99 each to anyone without screening. I hate to say it, but most casual pet store buyers do not have the proper facilities or levels of knowledge to properly house and maintain a 10-16 foot plus semi aquatic animal that can live for 50-70 years, eats (and defecates) alot, and in most cases does not accept handling or becomes tame. I think they are one of the worst reptiles to be selling to beginners.

Last edited:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not if you paid me...but that is a different rant also. There are two cougars from Easy street there who just turned 20 :D and have been away from Easy street since they were 7 days old.
Your rant and my rant would most likely be similar. :D

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Yeah the person who runs the sanctuary I volunteer at worked at Easy street and is made sound worse than satan on Carole Baskin's 911 animal abuse site :liar:

but anyway back to thread I agree 100% with EricRoscoe standard issue people have no right to purchase gators.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah the person who runs the sanctuary I volunteer at worked at Easy street and is made sound worse than satan on Carole Baskin's 911 animal abuse site :liar:

but anyway back to thread I agree 100% with EricRoscoe standard issue people have no right to purchase gators.
When I was there, all the animals were cared for. It was the inner political bull poop. People from there stopped talking to me after I got a job at a zoo. I miss a bunch of the cats which have probably all passed by now (old age).

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I know Carole isn't a big zoo fan so I can see where that would come from. but there will be politics anywhere.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't mind the above animals being sold in small pet stores where the store owners care enough to inform the public before purchase, but most pet store chains don't know what the heck they are doing or don't care enough. Back to the pizza parlor kids!

Lots of these I dislike seeing in pet store chains (mostly because of adult size):

- Water dragons, monitors and iguanas
- red-sliders
- angelfish (hard even when you know what you're doing)
- pufferfish (teeth constantly grow and you need to manage it with diet or trimming)
- dogs and cats
- exotic birds
- hermit crabs
- snakes over 15ft
- caimen, gators and crocs (doesn't happen here but I imagine elsewhere)
- hedgehogs
- lemurs and sloths (Global Exotics had them and failed miserably with them)

With a big tank, I would recommend oscars with no other species. They are extremely hardy.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok-it seems like before long every single animals is going to be listed by someone...

I think goldfish should not be sold becuz people put them in fishbowls. I think I think cats should not be carried at any petstore becuz people let them roam free etc. etc.

I do agree with prohibiting animals that pose a real threat to public safety.