Genus Phlogius [revalidation of the genus in prep.]

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How's your sac Chris?
Haha that sounds bad Pato!
The egg sack is still with the female currently and so far so good!
I should prob pull it from her..I remember spending about 3 hours catching all the slings last time!What an effin prodject that was!!:D
-Chris

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. crassipes, My newest T. Its undercarriage tells me male, but it's looking pretty due for a molt, so I'm not going to be hasty. Just under 5" maybe.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
P. crassipes, My newest T. Its undercarriage tells me male, but it's looking pretty due for a molt, so I'm not going to be hasty. Just under 5" maybe.

Nice one man!
At that size I'd say you def have a female there ;]
-Chris

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You think so? Well, it'll be official in a little while since she's webbing around the piece of cork bark I put in the tank. :D

Rob

Last edited:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi guys,
Nope Chris, that's a penultimate male mate. Look at the basal swelling on the tarsi of the palps ;) As with all Phlogius, the males can vary greatly in size within species, the variation can be anywhere from 3" L/S, to maybe 7" L/S for some spp. It's possibly a survivial strategy to spread breeding out over a full season, maybe two (to bypass "harsh" seasons by breeding either early or late). This would ensure some successful breeding in future years from most egg sacs. Just a hypothesis.

Steve

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks :) I took a look at him, and I can see it too. Like I said, he's looking about ready to molt to me, so I guess if anyone here in the US is looking to breed this species..

Cheers
Rob K

Last edited:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a pic of my juvie Aussie goliath. Very cool spider but sadly male :(

Its about 3.25" or so, all legs. At some point, I'm going to have to figure out what to do with him....

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi guys,
Nope Chris, that's a penultimate male mate
Oops my bad!All the males I have had here matured quite small..prob bout 3" tops!
Good luck finding a girl for him Rob!I'd do a loan with ya but my female is holding an egg sack right now.Should hatch any day!
-Chris