Genus Phlogius [revalidation of the genus in prep.]

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Chris,
The size variation of mature male Phlogius spp. is astounding to be honest, most have a size variation of female:male @ 1:1 to 1:0.5, but some species, such as the Goliath Phlogius have a variaion of 1:1 to1:0.2, or as small as 1/5th the size of the male, maybe even smaller.

The reason all of the exported Phlogius males are small is simply because you are seeing only the first males to mature, next year there will be more and more the year after that (gradually larger in size)...

I think it may be a survival method to avoid harsh seasons. The species with the greatest variation (Goliath) lives in a very harsh environment, some seasons VERY dry, others, very wet. To have some males mature prior to a possible harsh season ensures breeding within the population in even the very worst of seasons. The have some larger males ensures the maximum use of possible good seasons, and so on.... when you think about it, it's the perfect way to avoid unstable environments (not my idea, it's from a hypothesis of Dr B.Y.Main on certain mygale males within Australia).

I did write an article ondwarf males in Selenotypus spp. back in 2005, but I cannot remember where I sent that article to......

P.S., if anyone has that article, please PM me hey ;)

Thanks,
Steve

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi Steve,
Interesting stuff for sure man!Another thing I've noticed here and also believe you have mentioned before is the longevity of some of these males is quite impressive!I still have a P.crassipes mature male here that matured well over a year ago and he still eats and makes sperm webs!
-Chris

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Good luck Chris, and thanks for the info as always Steve:worship:. It is intersting, I have alot of male "Eunice" all from the same import , 2 matured a year or so ago, maybe longer, the others havent.

Good luck again Chris, and I've got some "Sarina" Im gonna pair up in the next week or too.:cool:

later, Tom

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks Tom!
Good luck with those "Sarina" to man!I'd love to get some of those over here!
-Chris

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CB Phlogius sp. Goliath

Hi,
Just to give some concept of the size variation of the males, they vary from this size, up to the big males.......(sorry for the crappy shots, taken behind glass, but you'll get the picture ;))..it's extreme to say the least...

Cheers,
Steve

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, thanks for the pictures. Do they indeed range through the sizes or are there two sizes for males: small and large? What I mean, will they mature, for instance, at 3", 4", 5" etc on up? Also, as the generations progress, will sacs produce mixed-sized males or will they all be of similar size?

Makes me wonder if my 3" male is about to mature....

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow you weren't kidding bout small males!
Better sex out my group quick hehe!
-Chris

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I mean, will they mature, for instance, at 3", 4", 5" etc on up? Also, as the generations progress, will sacs produce mixed-sized males or will they all be of similar size?
Yes, they mature at staggered sizes and the sizes are not limited to particular egg sacs, the entire size range can be found in one sac.

Steve

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Holy smokes....that is amazing. I did not realize the dwarfism was so bad.

nice photo's Steve. thanks for sharing.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whoohoo nice Syndicate, they're coming along nicely! If you put 'em up for sale, I'm gonna be needing another chance at a female :)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Great pics Chris, I wish my eyeballs could pic up that kind of detail in real life{D. I just had 2 more crassipes males mature as well.

later, Tom

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Great pics Chris, I wish my eyeballs could pic up that kind of detail in real life{D. I just had 2 more crassipes males mature as well.

later, Tom
Thanks man!Looks like a I got a decent count on them this time round.Nothing close to last years egg sack tho!
-Chris