Poecilotheria identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by KelliH
Many of the T dealers here in the U.S. get their spiders from Europe and are only going by what they are "told" the spiders are. And I am pretty sure that is what happened in this case.

So, anyone know a good source for subfusca and/or formosa?
Im pretty sure the dealer ran out of subfusca lings and send you something else instead.

/Lelle

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Poecilotheria ID key

Originally posted by Steve Nunn

Oh, I can wait. Your pokie drawings are the best I've seen, I'm looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Steve
Agreed! Something I wish to turn my hand to soon myself. I used to do a lot of technical and artistic drawing a few years ago and it's a hobby I would love to revisit.

And how the hell do you type "ø" ?

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
can anyone tell me what sorens website is,i dont think ive seen it and can anyone tell me a good yahoo list to join!!!

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Poke drawings

Well - those poke drawings on the arachnids_world were merely afternoon pastime.

And those were actually intended for use of the members of that board - more or less free usable graphics - though I would like to know where and to what purpose they were used - that's all - one guy in Holland used the regalis for a great tatoo on his right shoulder ;-)

BUT - the taxonomic work I am very tender about and cannot be used or distributed without my approval and knowledge.

I don't think I am overly harsh with that attitude.

Søren

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Poke ID and Sorens website

My website is a yahoo group but for now with very restricted access. theraphosid_description_papers I will not grant you access unless you can reference to some of the members allready there - if they will invite you that is - so sorry :-(

A very very good yahoo_group that stretches from the very very experienced spider folks like Stanley Schultz and Rick West and more to the greenest newbies that have just bought their first rosie or Avic. A group for all spider enthusiasts were flaming is rarely seen and with some patience you can get very qualified answers to your questions. The #1 web ressource in my opinion - with all due respect to Scott and this forum ;-)

Søren

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im pretty sure the dealer ran out of subfusca lings and send you something else instead.
I doubt that highly, mainly because he is having to make up for the mistake now. What purpose did it serve him? He had others on his list I would have gladly chosen as well.

Thanks for your input.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I doubt that highly, mainly because he is having to make up for the mistake now. What purpose did it serve him? He had others on his list I would have gladly chosen as well.

Thanks for your input.
Dealers are for the most into the hobby for the money. So he made a buck.
Even the best of dealer can go soure and rip people off. As simple as that.
Another explaiation can be that he messed up the labels of the sling vials.

/Lelle

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ive just joined aracnids_pix2,so hopefully we,ll meet there sometime soren,im very interested in what you have to say on various topics.So we,ll meet soon;)

the L parahybana i got from you are coming along nicely I maybe able to breed to male early next year!

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dealers are for the most into the hobby for the money.
This you are absolutely correct on, sad but true. Similar to the herp hobby, one must learn (sometimes the hard way) to distinguish the bad dealers from the good. Lucky for me I am a quick study;)

It seems that it is even easier in the tarantula hobby for the bad dealers to trick us because of the way many spiderlings of a certain genera so closely resemble each other. Case in point: the Brachypelma "klassi" spiderlings I purchased some months back have molted a few times now and they look suspiciously like Brachypelma emilia. Next time I will be more careful who I buy from.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This you are absolutely correct on, sad but true. Similar to the herp hobby, one must learn (sometimes the hard way) to distinguish the bad dealers from the good. Lucky for me I am a quick study;)

It seems that it is even easier in the tarantula hobby for the bad dealers to trick us because of the way many spiderlings of a certain genera so closely resemble each other. Case in point: the Brachypelma "klassi" spiderlings I purchased some months back have molted a few times now and they look suspiciously like Brachypelma emilia. Next time I will be more careful who I buy from.
Best is to buy from private breeders or swap with them. Then you know what you get, and that the spiders are healthy aswell.

Heres a pic of a juvenile subfusca:

/Lelle

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Re: Poecilotheria ID key

I am this close >< to expell you from my site and I see no reason why not. Only thing is that to get rid of leeches like you I am tempted to close access for all members on my site which are not my personal friends - which would be thanks to your respectless abuse of my material.
I have sent my apologies to Soren Rafn personally regarding this situation. I should have taken the time to think my actions through a bit more before trying to help my fellow arachnopets members by providing his key. I did so with no ill intent. I did so only to help the unfortunate number of us who have received misidentifed Poecilotheria in recent times. I guess no good deed goes unpunished after all.

Since I can understand Soren's anger with this issue I will ignore his reference to me as a leech and his ranting antagonistic tone and just attribute it to the heat of the moment. As an author and photographer myself, I am very sensitive to copyright issues and anyone who knows me realizes that I would not knowingly commit "respectless abuse". I just made a mistake here.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Re: Poecilotheria ID key

Originally posted by phormingochilus
Mr. Jacobi

I get a very bad taste when I see how you take credit for my work.

Søren Rafn
Although I take full responsibility for my actions and given the circumstances can understand the tone of Soren's writings here, the above statement is ridiculous. In no way did I take credit for Mr. Rafn's work. My post clearly stated that the key was from his Theraphosid_Description_Papers yahoo group and I in no manner implied any credit to myself.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Re: Poecilotheria ID key

Originally posted by phormingochilus
Yes it is under sad circumstances I had hoped that free access to core material could be administered without such abuse. I am inclined to think - it's not possible - and very much inclined to make the site strictly private and only accessed by my personal friends tho' I think it would be a sad continuation of my services.
And it seems you're already on that bent as I have been booted from the group for no reason whatsoever.

What gives?

Sure, it's a "private" group but where do you get off kicking members out when they've done *nothing*? Gods forbid someone, an entomology department worker and soon to be grad student in entomology, was trying to learn more about taxonomy issues and joined your group.

I joined a little over 2 weeks ago and apparently over this you kick me out last night.

I'm not smiling.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Code,
I think Søren removed anyone who he didn't instantly "recognise" - drop him a line to clear things up :)

Leon

Aboreal Rayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sharing is caring?

And it seems you're already on that bent as I have been booted from the group for no reason whatsoever.

What gives?- Code Monkey

This is a sad day when such valuable information is bogaurded and kept to one's self. The Ideaology of: When one individual makes a mistake we all lose. This of course is very uncalled for. I my-self make use of the chart in question frequently, and of course don't regret the oppertunity of being granted to it. Even if it was by the wrong person. The simple truth of the matter is knoledge is power. Because of this chart I was able to positvly I.D. many of my, and others, Pokies. Best of all it helped expose a person locally trying to sell Pokies as Miranda's. Not only is the reaction of kicking all member of this "group"(wich I wouldn't mind being in) childish but it ended the group it' self. Therefore eliminating the possibility of this grup producing any further valuable information. This is the true loss of this situation...

Oh well
~AR~

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not being familiar with this person or his site, and having only had time to read up to the point where he blew up about that chart being posted here, I tried dropping him a PM to ask permission to link to that and/or other depictions for the informational site I am trying to assemble in my efforts to further the hobby at large. At that time I kind of understood his position regarding posting something that someone didn't have permission to post, however I thought he did over-react somewhat considering that the source WAS named and credit was not being taken by the one posting the chart, at least that I saw anyhow...

Having read the rest of this thread, and seeing the extent to which he has gone to prevent anyone "unauthorized" from seeing his work, I can only ask 'What did he do the work FOR, and then put it on the web FOR, if not with the intent to make it availible to those who might benifit from it?!?'

It's very unfortunate, that the only logical answer that comes to me is "For prestiege!" and "To impress poeple!", niether of which can happen if he lets the chart out of his reach in any way. These are simply the only things he stands to lose, that I can see, by allowing others access to these depictions.

I have obviously gotten no response to my request, and will certainly not be expecting to hear back from him after having seen the rest of this thread, and having learned what kind of person he seems to be. I hope that he is renown as a king amongst those closest of friends whom he finds worthy enough to "bless" with his work. It's a real loss to the general population in the hobby when someone that tallented gets that selfish and petty.

Quote:

My website is a yahoo group but for now with very restricted access. theraphosid_description_papers I will not grant you access unless you can reference to some of the members allready there - if they will invite you that is - so sorry :-(

A very very good yahoo_group that stretches from the very very experienced spider folks like Stanley Schultz and Rick West and more to the greenest newbies that have just bought their first rosie or Avic. A group for all spider enthusiasts were flaming is rarely seen and with some patience you can get very qualified answers to your questions. The #1 web ressource in my opinion - with all due respect to Scott and this forum ;-)

This sounds like a very good place for people to gain knowlege and valuable information... Especially considering the name dropping, and his "unbiassed" opinion of the site... Perhaps if it were not "an exclusive club" it would actually benifit the hobby by spreading the information rather than by secluding it. As long as it IS an exclusive club, and entry can only be gained by "who you know", it will remain useless to those who wish to make EVERYONE aware that T's are not the giant hairy spiders that they have always been depicted as by popular media.

It's a REAL shame....:mad:

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Telson

Quote:

This sounds like a very good place for people to gain knowlege and valuable information... Especially considering the name dropping, and his "unbiassed" opinion of the site... Perhaps if it were not "an exclusive club" it would actually benifit the hobby by spreading the information rather than by secluding it. As long as it IS an exclusive club, and entry can only be gained by "who you know", it will remain useless to those who wish to make EVERYONE aware that T's are not the giant hairy spiders that they have always been depicted as by popular media.

It's a REAL shame....:mad:
I think Soren was actually referring to the arachnid_world group there, of course I might be wrong....

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Hmmmm this is sad that so much information and knowledge is locked up in a gilded cage. It is a shame. I am glad most folks here are will to openly share their information and experiences with nebies like me. Any other line of thinking is the road to extinction for the hobby. I understand the copywrite issues etc. I was not able to see the chart and I wish I could it sounds great, sadly unless it is published in a book somwhere/sometime that may never happen.

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
At least if he were to write a book and include these depictions in it, THEN they would do the hobby some good, AND he would certainly get to fulfill his apparent goal at the same time... Posting it in such an exclusive setting as I've seen him describe in his own words here though simply reminds me of the Southaprk episode where Cartman buys a fun park and commercial air time for the sole purpose of telling everyone all the great and wonderful features inside, naming the BEST feature of the park as the simple fact that "YOU CAN'T GET IN!"

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

you don't know the whole background, you don't know Søren, but you are trying to put him down – man that sucks! =:-(

And for those with such comments like that Søren don't want's to share his knowledge: join the different mailing lists (for example arachnid_world) go to the archives, search for "Søren", see what he has posted in the past and to whom and then rethink your comments – IMHO they are really really silly and stupid!

just my two cents!
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.