Roaches and oranges

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The middle link came up as blank and the rest seems to indicate that the information given isn't verified. I'd like to know where the quote actually came from.
me too. those were recent articles though. I would assume that the general consensus is what's published in these papers

DansDragons

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my roaches seem to hate oranges. i have hissers, dubia and lats..oranges always seem to go untouched. my millies do love it though...:)

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting. I don't see where any studies were done, just the statement. I wonder if anyone has tried feeding their colony only what the article says they need and reporting on the results. I will continue to feed mine a varied diet.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Years back when I kept pet exotic roaches, I know we would report greater breedings from oily dog foods or just olive oil on their food. I hadn't heard of the oranges before, but if I got into them again I should try it.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have seen that about olive oil, sounds messy tho . . .

Update on baby production:

There has now gotta be at least 1000 babies, if theres 10!
I need the smaller ones, as Ive fed off alot of the appropriate-sized feeders I need.
Only my frogs and T blondi can tackle the adults.
I have been giving them these tangerines for weeks now, and they are back to full-scale production.
I see so many gravid females, its scary.
I think my colony will need to be split up in another 2-3 months, cause theres no way Im gonna go thru all the babies I have and will get . . .

DansDragons

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i gave my dubia a tangerine last night, after they would not touch an orange..they devoured it overnight..and tonight, 6 females gave birth LOL..coincidence?

I have been giving them these tangerines for weeks now, and they are back to full-scale production.
I see so many gravid females, its scary.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oranges are a source of choline so the article could have some validity but bananas and potatoes and other things commonly fed to roaches are too and do not seem to increase the breeding the way oranges do.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oranges are a source of choline so the article could have some validity but bananas and potatoes and other things commonly fed to roaches are too and do not seem to increase the breeding the way oranges do.
Its not that I don't believe you, I have been looking and can't really find a good source that cholin is present in citris. I know its prevelent in animal tissue and probably legumes. Where did you get that info. I'd just like to have something to look back at. Thanks.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i gave my dubia a tangerine last night, after they would not touch an orange..they devoured it overnight..and tonight, 6 females gave birth LOL..coincidence?
same happened with me after almost 4 months of no breeding. I wish someone knew enough about the nutritional value of oranges and enough about roach nutrition to make a call.

brothaT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
same happened with me after almost 4 months of no breeding. I wish someone knew enough about the nutritional value of oranges and enough about roach nutrition to make a call.
I would love if someone could come on and explain this. I've noticed that females have no problem becoming gravid without citrus fruit, they just seem to stay gravid forever until they eat it after which they all pop very quickly.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Youve all heard "an apple a day keeps the dr away . . ."
Well, I think "an orange a day lets the roaches play"!!!

{D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe it's not nutritional, maybe in their native habitat, fallen oranges and maybe other fruit trigger breeding because the ripening of the fruit is an instinctive trigger for them that has to do with a seasonal change that is beneficial to breeding and babies:)confused:) .

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is a plausible theory, but they breed too frequently to be seasonal, I think :?
Not sure . . . . interesting tho.

Now that I got a ton of babies to grow into feeder nymphs again, Imma finish up these last few oranges and start giving them apples.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I think that's a good theory. I do think they breed throughout the year, but having said that, you can get anything to breed constantly if you give it the right cues. vary the temp, change the humidity, vary the photoperiod, etc.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a dubia colony that I only feed oranges and carrots to. (aside from their dry diet and water crystals) and they are reproducing like mad! I tried bananas and apples and a few other things at first, but the orange seem to kick the reproduction into high gear. Not sure what it is, and I'm not going to question it either. I just know its working and now I can give friends free starter colonys and still have way more than enough roaches to feed our T's.
Hey Uehling, havent talk to you n a bit. I agree though, my dubia act like oranges make them very .... excited. There could be a good reason for this thats unknown???