Roaches and oranges

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, not exactly what I meant. I've found alot of sources saying that it was in oranges, and alot saying it is only in animal tissue. The one's I found for the latter seemed more credible. A couple of these look good though. Thanks.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its not that I don't believe you, I have been looking and can't really find a good source that cholin is present in citris. I know its prevelent in animal tissue and probably legumes. Where did you get that info. I'd just like to have something to look back at. Thanks.
Well, what exactly did you mean?

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, what exactly did you mean?
sorry, apparently my ability to articulate ideas is getting worse. I meant what I said in the above post. I meant that i'd looked around, and its not that I couldn't find a source that said oranges contained choline, its just that they didn't look credible to me. Plus, I'd found sites that said only animal tissue contains it, so who do I believe? I could just not be lazy and search for journal articles, but I didnt want to spend the time.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You mean more like this? It isn't oranges but definitely not meat either. http://www.plantphysiol.org/cgi/reprint/109/3/1085.pdf
Maybe someone could study a roach colony strictly fed only meat and spinach or a similarly limited diet with cholesterol/choline and little else compared to another colony fed the same diet plus oranges and report on the breeding rates.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You mean more like this? It isn't oranges but definitely not meat either. http://www.plantphysiol.org/cgi/reprint/109/3/1085.pdf
Maybe someone could study a roach colony strictly fed only meat and spinach or a similarly limited diet with cholesterol/choline and little else compared to another colony fed the same diet plus oranges and report on the breeding rates.
:clap: Yes, exaclty like that. I mean, that discredits all the sites that said it was only in animal tissue, so I'd believe it's in oranges...not that I didn't before. Thanks for the article.

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting topic. Good thing I have tangerines on hand, will give some to my dubia tonight. ;P

BrianWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
orange juice has an effect on cholesterol in humans, maybe it makes it more available to the roaches?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so, i am pretty sure this is a post hoc ergo propter hoc logical error

the oranges are not magically putting fully developed oothecae into the roaches or onto the ground. the actual affect of the oranges on baby production should likely only manifest after *months* of feeding them... unless what galapoheros said is closer to the answer.

in that case the roaches are making plenty of viable ooth that are developing up to the point just before hatching and then stopping. the oranges trigger the ooth to hatch somehow.

i don't think that is very likely

if someone wants, i can design a year or two long experiment to actually test this out. so far, i have not seen ANYTHING to indicate oranges really are that great for making baby factories. i fed them to my colony from time to time and didn't notice any birth spikes immediately after feeding oranges

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so, i am pretty sure this is a post hoc ergo propter hoc logical error

the oranges are not magically putting fully developed oothecae into the roaches or onto the ground. the actual affect of the oranges on baby production should likely only manifest after *months* of feeding them... unless what galapoheros said is closer to the answer.

in that case the roaches are making plenty of viable ooth that are developing up to the point just before hatching and then stopping. the oranges trigger the ooth to hatch somehow.

i don't think that is very likely

if someone wants, i can design a year or two long experiment to actually test this out. so far, i have not seen ANYTHING to indicate oranges really are that great for making baby factories. i fed them to my colony from time to time and didn't notice any birth spikes immediately after feeding oranges
Interesting that this got started up again. It would be awesome if you could put together an experiment. I'd like to know how you plan on doing it before I believe it, but it sounds like a good idea. I agree and disagree with you. I dont think anybody is suggesting that oranges magically produce ootheca which proceed to drop out with the frequency of frass. But more than enough people at this point have expressed their positive experience with oranges at this point to make me a believer , both here and on other boards. I cant tell you how many people have said that oranges increased their production, and just as common even is the observation that they had little reproduction until oranges, and then an explosion.

We were talking about nutrition earlier. It could also be that you would experience no significant deviation because your roaches are already getting the nutrition they need. You'd have to design the experiment to the specifications of other people.

Why not very likely? many species hold off laying young until conditions are right. In fact, most do. Nutrition is a key condition is it not?

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the oranges are not magically putting fully developed oothecae into the roaches or onto the ground.

the actual affect of the oranges on baby production should likely only manifest after *months* of feeding them... unless what galapoheros said is closer to the answer.

i have not seen ANYTHING to indicate oranges really are that great for making baby factories.

i fed them to my colony from time to time and didn't notice any birth spikes immediately after feeding oranges
Cacoseraph, as much as I dont want to dissagree with you, in this case I do . . .

1- Yes! it is magic
2- I see results within a few days
3- I have
4- Were you looking?

The experiment can be done without our permission, go for it.

IME, noticable effects can only be [noticed] if the roaches are not fed oranges continuously, but rather every couple of weeks.

Skips, I agree with your reply, except the part about my(anyones really) roaches not getting a balanced, nutritious diet.
My roaches usually eat healthier than I do.

Oranges ARE magic!

MiGZ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just acquired my Dubia Starter Colony, i want to try this method, how will i feed the oranges to the dubia, the whole fruit(sliced) or peeled?

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just acquired my Dubia Starter Colony, i want to try this method, how will i feed the oranges to the dubia, the whole fruit(sliced) or peeled?
just like you'd eat it. If you feed the peel, wash it thoroughly to remove pesticides

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cacoseraph, as much as I dont want to dissagree with you, in this case I do . . .

1- Yes! it is magic
2- I see results within a few days
3- I have
4- Were you looking?

The experiment can be done without our permission, go for it.

IME, noticable effects can only be [noticed] if the roaches are not fed oranges continuously, but rather every couple of weeks.

Skips, I agree with your reply, except the part about my(anyones really) roaches not getting a balanced, nutritious diet.
My roaches usually eat healthier than I do.

Oranges ARE magic!
Yeah, well, that's why it's a hypothesis. BTW, what is that quote from Mr. Internet in reference to? I dont know whether to laugh or be pissed.

brothaT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You can click on the little arrow near the names in the quote box to go to the source of the quote.

Yeah, well, that's why it's a hypothesis. BTW, what is that quote from Mr. Internet in reference to? I dont know whether to laugh or be pissed.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can't get myself to read all that but I notice my dubias have babies if I back off the orange feeding for a month or two. Then feeding them an orange seems to trigger having more babies.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BTW, what is that quote from Mr. Internet in reference to? I dont know whether to laugh or be pissed.
I cant tell you how to take that quote, only that I think it seems hold much truth to it.

Its just there to remind ME, and as a tribute to the logical genius of MisterInternet.

But if we are bringing up this roaches and oranges thread again, lets talk roaches and Magical oranges . . .

Whenever I give my roaches oranges, within days there are tons of new tiny babies.
I dont know why anyone would even try to challenge this phenomina, its all but scientifically proven. ;)

Last edited:

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I get it...probably. I really dont get how anybody can like these animals so much and ibso facto hate them so much. But would anyone pay attention if I turn my nose up at anyone who keeps WC, no. It is a funny comment in that it's true.

Anyway, I agree. i'm not sure why this thread got started again just so someone could make the comment that it isnt true...after a 75 post thread to the affirmative, why question it?