Scorpions Vs Tarantulas

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that the reason why people choose T's is that they are so ordinary and easy to get.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
alex said:
I think that the reason why people choose T's is that they are so ordinary and easy to get.

Well ya, that's how it is in sweden. {D

Another factor to consider.

Baby emp scorps look WAY cuter than baby "T's" :)

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep both but I seem to prefer T's <<covers his face>>.

It's not just size, color or docility. What I like most in T's is the way they move and hunt. Scorpions are also great when hunting but when compairing moving like a lightning to stinging, I prefer the speed. Plus T's seem a bit more interesting to watch. They make webs, destroy them, climb glass, throw hair at you...

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe we can bring more people to the dark side(of scorps that is) ;P

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
genious_gr said:
I keep both but I seem to prefer T's <<covers his face>>.

It's not just size, color or docility. What I like most in T's is the way they move and hunt. Scorpions are also great when hunting but when compairing moving like a lightning to stinging, I prefer the speed. Plus T's seem a bit more interesting to watch. They make webs, destroy them, climb glass, throw hair at you...
Piont taken, but scorps can be interesting when you have more than one in a container. Tarantula's you can do that. :)

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
Everyone I've talked to who hasn't had experience with scorpions has assumed that they are all very deadly. And for some reason, for every person that's seen my emperor.. They've asked if it's had its venom/stinger removed..? Odd question.
That was what my uncle asked when his son wanted a scorpion :rolleyes:

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
woijchik89 said:
Piont taken, but scorps can be interesting when you have more than one in a container. Tarantula's you can do that. :)
I do have communal scorps (M.martensii) and they are truly cool but T's can "do" that as well. Many people keep Avicularia and Poecilotheria speciments of the same species together with great success.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
genious_gr said:
I do have communal scorps (M.martensii) and they are truly cool but T's can "do" that as well. Many people keep Avicularia and Poecilotheria speciments of the same species together with great success.
We can't seem to bring this one over to the darkside.
He will have to die.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Highlander said:
So Carpe you don't keep any other inverts?
Nope, I'm going to exclusively keep scorpions from now on, they are the perfect creature for me.

Last edited:

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
Nope, I'm going to exclusively keep scorpions from now on, they are thr perfect creature for me.
I love you Carpe Scorpio.

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally, I like -- and keep -- some of both. So far, the list is: 2x p. imperator, 1x g. rosea, 1x p. regalis. They are such diverse animals that you have to appreciate them each separately. I do tend to prefer the scorpions, though, even given (or a little bit because of) their jumpiness.

The P. imperator are great because they're easy to handle scorpions. G. rosea is a very easy to handle spider, not to mention that mine loves to dig tunnels, which is great fun to watch. P. regalis is just visually stunning. I may find other qualities I like about it, but I've had it for a total of three days now. ;)

My wife has only tarantulas. Mostly new world species. I really get along well with the "curly hairs," "painted leg," e. campestratus, and appreciate the a. metalica for its shaggy fur.

In the future there are only a few animals I see myself wanting to buy. I'm working on getting some "chacos," which I appreciate for their easy temper and size, along with the cool gold color. I'd also like a more mildly venomous buthid. Something that woudn't kill me, but would sting more than it used its claws. ;)

Chris

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a tarantula for a week I caught in the mohave desert. Turned it loose. I don't like them at all. I have only had scorpions since I was very young and they are the only inverts I keep. Except crickets, of course, but we all have a love/hate relationship with them don't we?
Kelly

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
its unwinnable,
some ppl like cats, some dogs, some both {D
same with T's and Scorps, although i have a cat and a scorp :}

ive seen a wolf spider hunt, and that was quite fun, but when u see a hungry buthid bumbling along and wagging its tail, no chance

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My cat watches the crickets with some interest, but when she sees a scorpion moving about, she seems to know that it is no "ordinary bug", her head bobs all over the place.

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
scorpions n tarantulas i can take or leave em but gemme a giant centipede or big solifugid any day and im in bliss. Amblipygids are prety cool too