Scorpions Vs Tarantulas

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Stagger-Lee said:
scorpions n tarantulas i can take or leave em but gemme a giant centipede or big solifugid any day and im in bliss. Amblipygids are prety cool too
There is a place in California I found, called Vasquez rocks that is lousy with Solifugids, I caught one, man those things are fast!.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep both tarantulas and scorpions and from my experience t's can be pretty mean when they want. My Acanthocurria geniculata is a lunatic. When I was feeding her the other day she ran up the glass of the enclosure (I have a terrarium that opens in the top) and jumped :eek: onto my stomach. Scared the sh*t out of me.
But still, I love scorp's more because of the way their bodies are composed, the bodylanguage, the killing factor and just because they're so darn beautiful.

Scorpie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
haha
i wonder about the resopose if you put this in the T section. personaly i have never been in there. t's creep me out anyway :)

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
Although T fangs are more physically damaging then a scorp tail? Or so I've been told ;)
The fangs on my largest Theraphosa blondie are over a centimeter long (half an inch) so I would think they hurt if you get a bite :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
fight to the death

:eek: Ok, what if in a senerio that an emp scorp or a heterometus sp scorp met a terresterial tarantula of similar size. There was going to be a fight to the death. Who would win? :confused: :confused:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
some idiot tryed it on another forum, apparently the heterometrus won nearly every time, people like this should be <enter death here>

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow, everyone seems to like Scorpions more than T's? Oh, wait we're in a Scorpion forum. No wonder! :D

I personally have owned both, and Scorpions just seemed like they had no personality. And I love the huge appetites that T's have where Scorps pale in comparison. T's seem to have never ending appetites (all except some of the desert species). T's are also more adept to feeding on larger prey. You can easily feed an adult mouse to a T while there's only 1 or 2 species of scorps that would even try to take one down. Not to mention the horrendous stories I've heard of people trying to feed mice to their Emperors only to see the mouse being slowly eaten alive kicking and screaming while they are killed within 10 seconds or so from a T bite. T's are much more humane when feeding live vertebrates. :D

And as far as keeping them together, you must not venture out into the tarantulas forum much woijchik89. The are several species of tarantula that have been kept together in a communal set-up. And the strange thing is they seem to prefer to hang out together and stay in the same hides together, even feed together.

T's are just so diverse; you have ones that burrow and prefer to bite to defend themselves. The large South American species that grow to immense proportions and have urticating hairs that they can throw at you. Arboreal species that use speed and agility to catch their prey, and have been shown to catch flying insects out of the air and can glide to the ground with legs covered in thick setae, with their prey in fang. And there's T's that build huge webs which they use for prey detection like the Usambara and Green Bottle Blue. And one species that will even submerge itself (and supposedly) dive into lakes to catch fish.
While with scorps you basically have two types; ones that have big pincers and prefer to pinch, and ones that have a thick tail and prefer to tail. ;P

Just my biased opinion of course. :)
Jim B.

Last edited:

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Palespider said:
Wow, everyone seems to like Scorpions more than T's? Oh, wait we're in a Scorpion forum. No wonder! :D

I personally have owned both, and Scorpions just seemed like they had no personality. And I love the huge appetites that T's have where Scorps pale in comparison. T's seem to have never ending appetites (all except some of the desert species). T's are also more adept to feeding on larger prey. You can easily feed an adult mouse to a T while there's only 1 or 2 species of scorps that would even try to take one down. Not to mention the horrendous stories I've heard of people trying to feed mice to their Emperors only to see the mouse being slowly eaten alive kicking and screaming while they are killed within 10 seconds or so from a T bite. T's are much more humane when feeding live vertebrates. :D

And as far as keeping them together, you must not venture out into the tarantulas forum much woijchik89. The are several species of tarantula that have been kept together in a communal set-up. And the strange thing is they seem to prefer to hang out together and stay in the same hides together, even feed together.

T's are just so diverse; you have ones that burrow and prefer to bite to defend themselves. The large South American species that grow to immense proportions and have urticating hairs that they can throw at you. Arboreal species that use speed and agility to catch their prey, and have been shown to catch flying insects out of the air and can glide to the ground with legs covered in thick setae, with their prey in fang. And there's T's that build huge webs which they use for prey detection like the Usambara and Green Bottle Blue. And one species that will even submerge itself (and supposedly) dive into lakes to catch fish.
While with scorps you basically have two types; ones that have big pincers and prefer to pinch, and ones that have a thick tail and prefer to tail. ;P

Just my biased opinion of course. :)
Jim B.
I will now qoute myself;
PIter said:
We can't seem to bring this one over to the darkside.
He will have to die.
I seem fixatet on killing. Please help me! :D

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have one emperor scorpion right now and 0 T's. I really like scorpions because they look like small armored tanks, which makes them look bada$$. As for T's, they don't seem all that cool to me I don't know why. I love emperors right now and I'll be getting one from the hadrurus sp. most probably.

...but i've got to admit, those greenbottle blues are REALLY pretty :rolleyes:

Scorpie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=13196&highlight=super+scorp

In that case, an A bicolor wrecked two tarantulas. Although, that's a sad thread to read. :/
everytime i read that post i loose it, its the funnyest thing ive ever read in my life. that kid is soooo dumb and taraculas thats a classic. im going to have to put that in my sig. but yes it is a sad thread and makes you wonder about the smartness of kids these days

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Scorpie said:
everytime i read that post i loose it, its the funnyest thing ive ever read in my life. that kid is soooo dumb and taraculas thats a classic. im going to have to put that in my sig. but yes it is a sad thread and makes you wonder about the smartness of kids these days
Obviously that poor kids elevator doesn't go to the top floor. ;)

Odorachnid13

Arachnopeon
alex said:
Tarantulas are easier to find (in pet shops), in my area.
I agree, unless you can find a smaller pet shop with someone who is into scorps, the "general population" options seem a lot more varied for T's.Most places, it seems, it's hard to find species other than emperors.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Obviously that poor kids elevator doesn't go to the top floor. ;)
Instead the "elevators" go double to his hands, that is the most misstakes I've ever seen in one post.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Besides even though we like scorpions best, who on earth would risk a A bicolor and or two tarantulas??? :?

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Looking at one of my larger Ts standing up against the glass of her tank, it struck me how Ts look like angels. That wide expanse of wing-ish legs spread out...

OTOH, scorpions have a phallic shape to them, with those rising tails and all.

Oh no! I may be collecting the wrong arachnids! :eek:

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You are probably collecting the the wrong arachnids. Have you ever seen a emp up againts the glass? It's strait out breathtaking!

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
Spidergodess, are we the only Alaskans on the boards?
Far as I know. Can we take this to mean Tarantula vs Scorpion collectors in Alaska are a 50-50 balance?

Where are you, BTW?