Taj Mahal of tarantula enclosures

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Visualize that enclosure with a seriously heavy webber. An OBT? Or that apparently neurotic T from India that seems to suffer from agoraphobia and every inch of their stomping grounds must be a maze of webs. Fimbriatus?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
fill the main chamber up with more sub, roughly to the level of the right 2nd floor. Add a chunk of bark. That will create room to burrow and eliminate the fall hazard. I am unsure of the function of the loft on the left, right now it just poses a fall hazard. Does it use the cylinder?

dmattenski

Arachnopeon
So my 5yo Brachypelma boehmei (Mexican fire leg) got to a point where she would sit in the same place for days on end; I worried that she was going downhill even though they can live to 20+. So I spent an absurd number of hours, and an even more ridiculous about of money to build a new home, twice. The first time it fell apart, but I am now an expert on acrylic bonding, drilling, and bracketing. Octavia now spends her days cruising back and forth and up and down, making use of her new burrow and her two crystal water bowls. For the love of a spider, I give you my Arachnid Taj Mahal. View attachment 414492
2 years ago I posted this and was pretty stunned with all the negative comments, well meaning as they were. But I am pleased to report that she is happy and healthy in her enclosure, and peruses it throughout her days. She digs, and makes small webs around her den, and is such a pleasure to watch IMG_2685.JPG . So glad I gave her room to roam!

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I'll be following this.

Just imagine the middle enclosure with no top section, more substrate, and a water dish... would be perfect.

I get it, it's creative and looks cool. Not my cup of tea for keeping a terrestrial tarantula.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I'll be following this.

Just imagine the middle enclosure with no top section, more substrate, and a water dish... would be perfect.

I get it, it's creative and looks cool. Not my cup of tea for keeping a terrestrial tarantula.
a big rectangular box would mean it would have 6" of substrate to dig a burrow instead of a can. Plus all plex, gonna be interesting when it starts to warp

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I’d still be concerned for that fall risk. Just because it hasn’t happened yet, doesn’t mean it can’t. Posting an enclosure on a forum of a bunch of tarantula keepers will give you comments based on concern for the T. Negative comments means there were elements there that could harm the T. I’d add more substrate to mitigate the fall risk.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I’d still be concerned for that fall risk. Just because it hasn’t happened yet, doesn’t mean it can’t. Posting an enclosure on a forum of a bunch of tarantula keepers will give you comments based on concern for the T. Negative comments means there were elements there that could harm the T. I’d add more substrate to mitigate the fall risk.
I gave My t same species its leg span to climb and it didn’t end well. Although I checked the cage and found nothing sharp so it’s possible it was old age .