Tarantula that won't eat, what have you done to get it to eat again.

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
I owned this spider for 14 months before giving her back to Jose. In that time I tried all sorts of methods to get her to eat. I tried adjusting humidity, temperature, and not disturbing her for months at a time, as well as other small things. I tried a few different feeders and every single one turned out the same. Many times, she should jump towards the feeder like she knew she was hungry, but as soon as she realized what it was, she would instantly back off. It was the same for everything I gave her.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
I hold my head in despair of the tarantula loss.....My Rose hair Rosie O'donnell escaped from my house, was found, turned in to the local pet store, and Jose bought her and fed it to that baumgarteni beast. She was such a sweet docile lady and probably tried to give her a hug or kiss before the beast ripped her head off....Shame on you Jose....Shame...be a man and tell them all it was a rose hair and my sweet Rosie O'donnell R.I.P. I may never get another as Chile imports are closed and there was no monetary value worth her love anyway :( PINCHE BANDITO!!!!

Last edited:

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do I see Another feeder market opening up , poor rosie's never going get a break I kid buddy I'm glad your old girl is going to live longer

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I can only imagine how frustrating a baumgarteni that won't eat can be! I can't imagine either why she would refuse a cricket -- little hoppy meals! You may have really raised the bar now -- now your baumgarteni will be jonesing for more Ts. I would love to see a future post stating she took down a cricket. Sheeesh -- expensive T to feed otherwise.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hold my head in despair of the tarantula loss.....My Rose hair Rosie O'donnell escaped from my house, was found, turned in to the local pet store, and Jose bought her and fed it to that baumgarteni beast. She was such a sweet docile lady and probably tried to give her a hug or kiss before the beast ripped her head off....Shame on you Jose....Shame...be a man and tell them all it was a rose hair and my sweet Rosie O'donnell R.I.P. I may never get another as Chile imports are closed and there was no monetary value worth her love anyway :( PINCHE BANDITO!!!!
You had to do it, yes it was two rose hairs. This is one of the reasons on why I did not want to say what species it was, cause of Chile closing its doors. It is frustrating that my spider had to have another spider for food. But like some of you have said and as I know as well it is part of their diet.

Brachypelma baumgarteni eating a Grammostola porteri

Jose

cold blood

Staff member
this box that pops up randomly is DUMB!!!!!!!!

Poor rosies. I'd think cb LP juvies and ever so abundant vagans and albos could easily satisfy her while being potentially less impactful now that we aren't getting any more "new blood" in from Chile. Time for a new "feeder" breeding program for you Jose.

Not that I'm faulting you, that Brachy needed to eat and its a very valuable t in the hobby as they are just not abundant, yet are highly coveted. Best of luck with her in the future, may she give you many a sac!!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Poor rosies. I'd think cb LP juvies and ever so abundant vagans and albos could easily satisfy her while being potentially less impactful now that we aren't getting any more "new blood" in from Chile. Time for a new "feeder" breeding program for you Jose.

Not that I'm faulting you, that Brachy needed to eat and its a very valuable t in the hobby as they are just not abundant, yet are highly coveted. Best of luck with her in the future, may she give you many a sac!!
Yeah if I had a choice to pick a certain species of spider to be use as a food source for my baumgarteni, I would have not chosen the Grammostola porteri. Unfortunately I did not have that choice for the first and second spider that was eaten by my female baumgarteni.

Jose

wormwood____

Arachnopeon
knew a guy who had a "porteri" or "rosea" or whatever go 3 years without eating. I had an Aphonopelma seemani female go 14 months without eating

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
knew a guy who had a "porteri" or "rosea" or whatever go 3 years without eating. I had an Aphonopelma seemani female go 14 months without eating
Does it count when I state "Phaedra" hasn't eaten in 4+ months and not shown herself either? I know she's fine though, since I can see her move around in her corkbark when I checked from the outside today :p

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
Remember, as Jose said in an earlier post, this baumgarteni isn't just fasting. It molted, and never touched food again after the molt. That's a problem. Especially since most tarantulas will usually come out of their molt quite skinny. Since I personally had the spider in my possession for a long amount of time, I can side with Jose in that something with her diet is strange. Who knows why she wouldn't eat any of the other feeders. At least she is eating something though.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She might be passing soon

I hate to say this but my baumgarteni is not looking good. Even after two tarantula meals that she had her abdomen got smaller and refusing food again. In some places of her abdomen is looking dented, meaning to me is a for sure sign of her death is coming soon. How soon? I don't know. I just don't understand on why after her molt she refused to eat, she was doing so well before. I'm not going to post photos yet until I know she is gone for good. I'm going to leave her alone until what ever happens.
No more Grammostola porteri as a food source for her.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My condolences. If she passes and you're interested in a learning a method of preserving and mounting her in a frame let me know. Tough stuff losing a t. I hope she gets better

cold blood

Staff member
Jose, you should find some old MM's that have long since done their jobs and are just awaiting death....I know you probably know a bunch of breeders...just a thought, it would be a shame if you lost such an uncommon beaut.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'd check the last molt she had and see if maybe the lining of the stomach wasn't shed. Sounds like she has been trying to eat but food can't get in to her, so the lining might be stuck and blocking the way. If so, there's nothing you can do.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jose do reckon she could have had some sort molt issue ,and maybe she was just doing a defensive eating , and the intake of food could have caused the problem she had to get worse.we prob want ever know hope she gets better buddy

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Has she got plenty of access to water at all times? I know a shriveled abdomen can also be relating to dehydration. Probably not the case but with a thought maybe.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My condolences. If she passes and you're interested in a learning a method of preserving and mounting her in a frame let me know. Tough stuff losing a t. I hope she gets better
I have not decided what to do with her remains once she decides to quit living.

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 09:01 AM ----------

Jose, you should find some old MM's that have long since done their jobs and are just awaiting death....I know you probably know a bunch of breeders...just a thought, it would be a shame if you lost such an uncommon beaut.
I thought about it and looking for mature males. Thanks for the thought.

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 09:03 AM ----------

I'd check the last molt she had and see if maybe the lining of the stomach wasn't shed. Sounds like she has been trying to eat but food can't get in to her, so the lining might be stuck and blocking the way. If so, there's nothing you can do.
I have previously checked her and could not find nothing wrong on the outside of her body.

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 09:05 AM ----------

Jose do reckon she could have had some sort molt issue ,and maybe she was just doing a defensive eating , and the intake of food could have caused the problem she had to get worse.we prob want ever know hope she gets better buddy
I was thinking the same. I do hope she pulls through.

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 09:06 AM ----------

Has she got plenty of access to water at all times? I know a shriveled abdomen can also be relating to dehydration. Probably not the case but with a thought maybe.
She has always had plenty of water. I really don't know what her problem would be.

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 09:07 AM ----------

Sad yes I feeling it.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I read an article probably six months ago regarding tarantulas dietary needs. It didn't say anything specifically about what those needs are. Basically it said that tarantulas observed outside of captivity would allow certain prey items to pass by them until the type that they were interested in came along. The theory behind the article was that a tarantula can be missing something in their diet and will seek the prey that contains what it need. Is it possible that she is missing something essential in her diet that the other tarantulas could provide that standard feeders would not?