Tarantula that won't eat, what have you done to get it to eat again.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
[/COLOR] I have previously checked her and could not find nothing wrong on the outside of her body.

I think you may have misunderstood me or I misunderstand you. Her last molt would not have the pumping stomach/ esophagus in it if it were stuck in her, and you would not see it on the outside of the spider because it is hidden inside it's body. Just looking on the outside of the body of the live spider would not show this is happening.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I read an article probably six months ago regarding tarantulas dietary needs. It didn't say anything specifically about what those needs are. Basically it said that tarantulas observed outside of captivity would allow certain prey items to pass by them until the type that they were interested in came along. The theory behind the article was that a tarantula can be missing something in their diet and will seek the prey that contains what it need. Is it possible that she is missing something essential in her diet that the other tarantulas could provide that standard feeders would not?
You know I have thought about that for years, and I do think that there is something missing in their diet that may cause them not to eat. But I can't be certain wether there is any truth to this.

---------- Post added 06-03-2015 at 10:34 PM ----------

I think you may have misunderstood me or I misunderstand you. Her last molt would not have the pumping stomach/ esophagus in it if it were stuck in her, and you would not see it on the outside of the spider because it is hidden inside it's body. Just looking on the outside of the body of the live spider would not show this is happening.
I guess I did misunderstood. I don't know if it was a molt issue, though it is possible.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
as far as the missing nutrients in their diets, my 1/2" P. scrofa (I believe the name has been changed recently) would not eat mealworms, or dubia roaches after her molt. so last night she was on her cork bark throne and I touched her front leg with a cricket leg. she attacked that so fiercely I screamed like a girl and jerked my hand back, she did not let go of the cricket leg and held onto the cork bark to the point that I lifted her AND the cork bark two inches off the substrate. two hours later she was still going to town on that cricket leg... was she not hungry till then, was she refusing anything but cricket? I have no idea.

cold blood

Staff member
Man I thought good things when you got it to eat the t....then worried as you described its worsening condition....really too bad you lost her...it certainly wasn't for a lack of effort on your part.

Mavis

Arachnopeon
I have a Lasiodora Difficilis which has not eaten either. It´s been 2 months and no eating at all. Just before she stopped eating at all she became kind of picky to attack her food items, and now I am relying on her abdomen size to tell whether or not she is still healthy, but it is still very worrisome since she has never done that before. Her abdomen is slightly bigger than her carapace so I believe a molt might be underway soon.