The Hunt for good top soil ?

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
I use timberline from Home Depot. But I also mix it with peat, coco fiber and vermiculite with a little sand thrown in.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I use timberline from Home Depot. But I also mix it with peat, coco fiber and vermiculite with a little sand thrown in.
That’s what brand this stuff is but it looks more like small wood chips then soil. I already removed a ton of unusable stuff … IMG_7961.jpeg IMG_7960.jpeg

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
That’s what brand this stuff is but it looks more like small wood chips then soil. I already removed a ton of unusable stuff
Well I know natural top soil is harvested from forestry sites. I have not had any issues with using that brand.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well I know natural top soil is harvested from forestry sites. I have not had any issues with using that brand.
So these tiny wood chips are fine to mix with coconut fiber? K wish I had a use for the harsher stuff .

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
So these tiny wood chips are fine to mix with coconut fiber?
I would think so. I've been using it for over a year and haven't had any issues. Those same chunks and bits can be found in reptisoil and even biodude's mix. Just texture to the sub lol. I could be wrong, but as I said i have had zero issues.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
There is no such thing as a perfect soil for tarantulas. As long as you take out large rocks, large clay balls, and large sharp sticks you will be good. Don’t over think it.

tylrp

Arachnopeon
Why does everyone freak out about soil being abrasive? I mean I get sharp sticks, glass and maybe rocks. But most of my spoods have webbed sharp or irregular things. And it's not like nature's safe. I'm sure I'll get roasted for saying so but...... Am I seriously wrong?