Tliltocal albopilosum (Ometepe Island).

The responses so far reveal an almost hysterical dismissiveness, perhaps that the species was not "discovered" by some good old Nerdy College boy From the USA??? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, seriously though, the differences within same species from different locales is not peculiar to arachnids and attempts to discredit differences when the visual evidence, even if responses to such well documented fact has an olfactorial permeation of near paranoia reaction. Even with tarantula species there are recognised regional variations, for example Poecilotheria Subfusca which has accepted Highland and Lowland variants, And Pterinochilus Murinus which also is accepted at having regional variants, so its no surprise that an isolated island should develop differences within the species generality

Last edited:

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
The responses so far reveal an almost hysterical dismissiveness, perhaps that the species was not "discovered" by some good old Nerdy College boy From the USA??? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, seriously though, the differences within same species from different locales is not peculiar to arachnids and attempts to discredit differences when the visual evidence, even if responses to such well documented fact has an olfactorial permeation of near paranoia reaction. Even with tarantula species there are recognised regional variations, for example Poecilotheria Subfusca which has accepted Highland and Lowland variants, And Pterinochilus Murinus which also is accepted at having regional variants, so its no surprise that an isolated island should develop differences within the species generality
Lol what visible evidence? I haven't seen anything that couldn't be photo manipulation for the purpose of jacking up prices on one of the cheapest T's in the hobby

Lol what visible evidence? I haven't seen anything that couldn't be photo manipulation for the purpose of jacking up prices on one of the cheapest T's in the hobby
One presumes you are likewise critical of the other species i mentioned which are accepted by the vast majority of arachnophiles??? Add to which Cyriopagopus Lividus blue or green femur, and Phormictopus purple/green/bronze etc variants! One should only require the utilisation of ones ocular faculties to realise such variations

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
One presumes you are likewise critical of the other species i mentioned which are accepted by the vast majority of arachnophiles??? Add to which Cyriopagopus Lividus blue or green femur, and Phormictopus purple/green/bronze etc variants! One should only require the utilisation of ones ocular faculties to realise such variations
Yep, I sure am! Research is still being done, and visuals aren't everything. We don't need to just assume relation based on appearance anymore, it's not the 1850s lol. I let taxonomists decide, not "arachnophiles"

Yep, I sure am! Research is still being done, and visuals aren't everything. We don't need to just assume relation based on appearance anymore, it's not the 1850s lol. I let taxonomists decide, not "arachnophiles"
Taxonomists don't always agree on everything either, and far from your devinity approportioning genifluctions, are far from infallible, denial of differences of appearance of various specimens within the same species would appear to be indictitive of ingrained denialism of tinfoil hat proportions๐Ÿ˜‚

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Mine molted the other day, will try to get more pictures up soon.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I have seen these T. albopilosum (Ometepe Island) T's for sale sometime last year.

They popped up on a few dealer's sites then were gone. I do remember them having a bluish tint to them. Rather very dark bluish like navy blue

I wasn't interested as I already have two T. albopilosus and not going for three for any reason.

Last edited:

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Taxonomists don't always agree on everything either, and far from your devinity approportioning genifluctions, are far from infallible, denial of differences of appearance of various specimens within the same species would appear to be indictitive of ingrained denialism of tinfoil hat proportions๐Ÿ˜‚
Man you crack me up ๐Ÿคฃ they certainly aren't gods, but they are the experts. I've been reading up on human physiology, you should call me next time instead of a doctor, since doctors aren't deities either, right? Training and education means nothing? I guess I'll be over here in my shiny hat! :banghead:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I have all 3 forms of curly now ometepe Nicaraguan and Honduran and honestly my ometepe Cupcake has no blue unless he has just moulted he is brown . He is about 2.5 inch now he is in premoult atm but soon as he moults I will post his pic . This is my most recent one atm took with my phone. Screenshot_20220319-093613_Gallery.jpg

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
for example Poecilotheria Subfusca which has accepted Highland and Lowland variants
There are no scientifical evidences that both "highland" and "lowland" are the same species so, we can't be sure about it either. This is why hybrids can be created, keepers assuming they are the same species, when in fact, they might not.
Also, there is a third variant, named "Pascal Leslier" or sp. "Sri Lanka", which might also not be a P. subfusca.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I have all 3 forms of curly now ometepe Nicaraguan and Honduran and honestly my ometepe Cupcake has no blue unless he has just moulted he is brown . He is about 2.5 inch now he is in premoult atm but soon as he moults I will post his pic . This is my most recent one atm took with my phone. View attachment 413437
Well that's interesting.....
Which means one of two things.
1. The photo of the Ometepe I saw on a few dealer's sites were doctored up or some other tarantula or
2. You actually received a Honduran or Nicaraguan not an Ometepe.

Then again they seem to come and go pretty quick, who knows.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
1. The photo of the Ometepe I saw on a few dealer's sites were doctored up or some other tarantula or

I have one too. Mine is close to 3 inches, no blue at all.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter

Mine was a gift from my SO and he says they came from the spider shop who got the sack from Ray Gabriel so am pretty sure my Cupcake is from ometepe island just not sure they are all blue I believe females look like any other curlys and the males once mature get the blue but it's only a theory based on what I see with other colourful t's . I will know for sure once Cupcake matures ๐Ÿ˜Š and I will keep posting update pics as he comes along.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Add to which Cyriopagopus Lividus blue or green femur
I honestly think they are a bit misleading to the market to an extent. About a year or two ago when the C. lividus WC imports came in, some people just began slapping labels on them to try and differentiate them to make it seem like they're something special. I remember people were placing labels like "sp. Midnight blue", "green", "green femur" with C. lividus. I believe they were collected in the same area/region (but don't take my word for fact), but it's strange to see all these locales all of a sudden. I do think Locales are unique and can be distinguishable between the same species to an extent. It's just that with C. lividus, no one is truly sure, because no one can pinpoint if all those WC specimens were or weren't collected in the same area/region. It's sad, because I've seen some larger juvenile specimen of these C. lividus "Green Femur" and there is no green on the femur on them if not any green at all on any of them. Which they all look like the normal C. lividus. But that's just my speculation.....

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Well I guess time will tell but I distinctly remember the photos on the dealer sites where I saw them had dark blue on them.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Well I guess time will tell but I distinctly remember the photos on the dealer sites where I saw them had dark blue on them.
Yes they did but I have noticed alot of the dealers that have them in use the same pic of the adult , and Cupcake is blue straight after a moult but he looses it as he hardens , I have specifically got the other curlys so I can see as they grow if there is any difference so far not really but 2 are only 2.5 inch and one is a 1cm sling so it may take a while yet before any differences show ๐Ÿ˜†

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Yes they did but I have noticed alot of the dealers that have them in use the same pic of the adult , and Cupcake is blue straight after a moult but he looses it as he hardens , I have specifically got the other curlys so I can see as they grow if there is any difference so far not really but 2 are only 2.5 inch and one is a 1cm sling so it may take a while yet before any differences show ๐Ÿ˜†
Ok that was very informative. I never looked that far into it as I wasn't interested in another T. albo.

That would explain the blue photos I seen, thanks for that info.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Here is my female. For the record it does seem to have some blueish tint on the femur. I donโ€™t think they will be blue like they were sold as. I canโ€™t compare to my others as they are all slings. This could be the only curly hair I have ever kept from sling to adult just to see what she looks like. For some reason I like her, she is my little gem, haha.

This is 2 weeks after molt.

Will update more next molt.

BD3CDEF3-BDF3-4E85-B7CC-74F1520F8A65.jpeg

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I went back and looked at the earlier pictures of the blue collection. Look carefully at all the small rocks, they have a blue cast as well. Methinks, HiJinx