Today in the Spider Room?

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
PXL_20240325_110238582.jpg
PXL_20240324_173717786.jpg
Phormingochilus sp Rufus, the googly eyes are a bonus feature of this species. The new girl, Kilat (lower) is out a few times a day.

PXL_20240324_184909202.jpg
Little Aphonopelma sp queretaro... Was not hungry. Seems to want to interact with its food instead of eat it, so I killed it harder and came back to this. Strung the poor cricket to the ceiling. Not hungry.
PXL_20240324_182615447.jpg
Missed a molt on this little Haploclastus devamatha it seems, much bigger, such shiny. It's fun watching it hunt and know the access points. It's exiting it's burrow here which it inadvertently cut off the access to the corner behind it when it constructed it. The T knows and is patiently waiting for the cricket to come out. Good for me, I only get a millisecond view about once every 2 months 🤣

Looking for excuses to drive 40 miles into "town" so it's not just for feeders, looking like it will be just for feeders 🤣

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
After a few repositions to make sure she was aiming at me, she's daring me to put the lid back on
View attachment 464567
Aphonopelma vorhiesi - Orion Pax
What are these like to keep? my SO is getting my birthday spood today and has been offered a female, I have a few Aphonopelma and had seen pics of the females so of course I said yes but am having problems with temperament n max size some say sweet out all the time some say pet holes and with max size some say dwarf some say 5 inches n your the first person I have seen still active that has one so i ask you what's your experience been like with yours? N are they medium size or tiny lol?

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
What are these like to keep? my SO is getting my birthday spood today and has been offered a female, I have a few Aphonopelma and had seen pics of the females so of course I said yes but am having problems with temperament n max size some say sweet out all the time some say pet holes and with max size some say dwarf some say 5 inches n your the first person I have seen still active that has one so i ask you what's your experience been like with yours? N are they medium size or tiny lol?
They should be small, I will be surprised if she exceeds 4". My mature male was all legs and about 2.5". Where they are found in the wild is where you will find other the other Aphonopelma dwarves, not like they were described as dwarves in the Hamilton paper though.

Mood? Don't tell her I said this but she's an absolute gem. Okay she barely moves but she's sweet. If she is disturbed by my presence, cleaning, popping the lid, watering, she will lift the abdomen to aim at me but has never kicked a hair. And as of late, she's ravenous and getting fatter by the second. PXL_20240324_184247082.jpg

Megatron as a mature male (RIP) He was even sweeter than her.
IMG_20240326_035757.jpg

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
They should be small, I will be surprised if she exceeds 4". My mature male was all legs and about 2.5". Where they are found in the wild is where you will find other the other Aphonopelma dwarves, not like they were described as dwarves in the Hamilton paper though.

Mood? Don't tell her I said this but she's an absolute gem. Okay she barely moves but she's sweet. If she is disturbed by my presence, cleaning, popping the lid, watering, she will lift the abdomen to aim at me but has never kicked a hair. And as of late, she's ravenous and getting fatter by the second. View attachment 469779

Megatron as a mature male (RIP) He was even sweeter than her.
View attachment 469780
How gorgeous is he ! And that booty on her 😍 will she eventually be black like him or is it because he was a mature male? I am sorry for your loss too such a handsome boy .
Looking forward to getting her much more now hopefully she will be as sweet as your 2 😊 thank you very much for answering 🙂

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
How gorgeous is he ! And that booty on her 😍 will she eventually be black like him or is it because he was a mature male? I am sorry for your loss too such a handsome boy .
Looking forward to getting her much more now hopefully she will be as sweet as your 2 😊 thank you very much for answering 🙂
That black was due to maturity, but you never know how they will look their next molt. I'll be sure to tag you when she does 🥰

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
That black was due to maturity, but you never know how they will look their next molt. I'll be sure to tag you when she does 🥰
Thank you! I look forward to seeing when you tag me 😊 mine comes tomorrow the seller says shes a sub adult, I am very excited 🥰

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Reorganized my leftmost shelf that has most of my slings
20240326_160352.jpg

Caught miss thang drinking. She had a whole grooming session afterwards.
20240326_134120.jpg

Nugget is about to explode 😯
20240325_200442.jpg

And the new P victori is settling in nicely
20240326_121002.jpg

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Happy birthday @Charliemum !!

Watched my Ephebopus murinus doing a complete remodel of his enclosure last night. Moving out of the skybox and into the tunnel. They grow up so fast. Happy to see he chose to set up his new home in the starter burrow I made him last year, after he had decided he was still arboreal when he first moved in. Took a little video of him building a wall in his new area. All of that area was clear of webbing two days prior as his home was at the top of the plant in the opposite corner.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
On today's episode of So You Want To Breed Tarantulas Ehh?
20240326_190944.jpg
A little under 200 new sling delis @ 49 holes melted per which is about halfway through what I'll likely need this year in 5.5oz delis. Then I need to start on the 200 2oz delis I'm hoping I'll need......

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 469835
A little under 200 new sling delis @ 49 holes melted per which is about halfway through what I'll likely need this year in 5.5oz delis. Then I need to start on the 200 2oz delis I'm hoping I'll need......
My first thought was 49?! Then I counted in my head the hole pattern I adopted from you and said, oh, yep, that’s 49.
(Though I add one extra for ease of water dish filling.)

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 469835
You need a helper ! My SO and I live cross country from each other and every time I go he gets me to do the baby vivs he hates knocking them up n I like making little houses lol, think maybe you need an official viv maker too .
Although I get the feeling you like to do it yourself then you know it's right 😆 ah the joys of being an aspiring mad genius 😂
🤞 they all end up with little spoods in them 😉.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Happy birthday @Charliemum !!

Watched my Ephebopus murinus doing a complete remodel of his enclosure last night. Moving out of the skybox and into the tunnel. They grow up so fast. Happy to see he chose to set up his new home in the starter burrow I made him last year, after he had decided he was still arboreal when he first moved in. Took a little video of him building a wall in his new area. All of that area was clear of webbing two days prior as his home was at the top of the plant in the opposite corner.
Thank you 😊 your girls getting old haha 😄 my lovely son keeps reminding me everyday your nearly 38 you know mum 😆 gotta love your kids 😂 n for my midlife crisis I got more t's and my hairl is now emerald green 🤣🤣🤣 yay for getting old 😆

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you 😊 your girls getting old haha 😄 my lovely son keeps reminding me everyday your nearly 38 you know mum 😆 gotta love your kids 😂 n for my midlife crisis I got more t's and my hairl is now emerald green 🤣🤣🤣 yay for getting old 😆
Once you’ve gotten to half a century, we can talk about what it’s like to be old. It looks to me like you’ve got over a decade to go yet, whippersnapper.
I did green once. I just don’t have the complexion to pull it off. Red for many years though.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Once you’ve gotten to half a century, we can talk about what it’s like to be old. It looks to me like you’ve got over a decade to go yet, whippersnapper.
I did green once. I just don’t have the complexion to pull it off. Red for many years though.
🤣🤣🤣 been a long time since I was called whippersnapper 😆

I was the opposite I did red and it didn't suit me I looked ill all the time so I grew it all out , decided I was bored with it and now it's green underneath and on half of my fringe but the top and half my fringe is still my natural brown. I like it though n think I will keep it for a bit 😊

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
You need a helper ! My SO and I live cross country from each other and every time I go he gets me to do the baby vivs he hates knocking them up n I like making little houses lol, think maybe you need an official viv maker too .
Although I get the feeling you like to do it yourself then you know it's right 😆 ah the joys of being an aspiring mad genius 😂
🤞 they all end up with little spoods in them 😉.
I actually paid a buddy to do it this year as I'm over 50k holes melted myself at this point. Still though, I like to wash them after and that takes some time.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I actually paid a buddy to do it this year as I'm over 50k holes melted myself at this point. Still though, I like to wash them after and that takes some time.
I wash mine after too 😆 n you let someone else do t stuff for you 😳 well done you 😉😊

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Episode three of So You Want To Breed Tarantulas Ehh?
20240328_220859.jpg
Ended up separating out 117 Ornithoctonus sp Ranong Blue slings in about 2 hours. Next step is to get them feeding prior to shipping so they can handle the rigors of the process. I prefer to get two meals into them to get them well started, but one will do in a pinch. They'll typically eat 7-10 days after molting to 2i. I have a lateralis colony that is setup to perpetually produce pinheads, so I always have them available for new slings. If you didn't think this far ahead, you'll have to figure out a way to source atleast 10 dozen appropriate sized feeder items like pinhead crickets. You COULD go with prekilled or chopped up mealworms, but the problem with that is you absolutely must remove anything uneaten the next day or they'll start to mold and it can be difficult to see if the sling has actually eaten. Also, in an enclosure for moisture dependent species like Ornithoctonus spp, that mold can take over and prove deadly in a week's time.

A little over half of this clutch has already been sold and will ship out after they start eating, but wait, that means more prep work to get ahead of the curve. You'll need shipping vials. Good thing I prepped 200 of them a few weeks back (took a few hours).
20240204_160420.jpg
20240204_200155.jpg
20240206_214349.jpg

Actually getting the slings out of the enclosures and into the vials once the time comes is a bit of a chore as well, especially when you have to do large amounts. Expect another few hours invested there in the future.

Oh, did I mention this is still all for one eggsack? We haven't even discussed the larger Phormingochilus sp Akcaya eggsack maybe 50 days from 2i still in the incubator.....
20240328_220944.jpg

Or the Phormingochilus pennellhewlettorum eggsack that is hopefully getting pulled next Friday that looks equally as large.......

Now that they're all separated, I have another hour of general husbandry work to do in the collection before I can call it a night.

You really have to have a passion for this.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Episode three of So You Want To Breed Tarantulas Ehh?
View attachment 469957
Ended up separating out 117 Ornithoctonus sp Ranong Blue slings in about 2 hours. Next step is to get them feeding prior to shipping so they can handle the rigors of the process. I prefer to get two meals into them to get them well started, but one will do in a pinch. They'll typically eat 7-10 days after molting to 2i. I have a lateralis colony that is setup to perpetually produce pinheads, so I always have them available for new slings. If you didn't think this far ahead, you'll have to figure out a way to source atleast 10 dozen appropriate sized feeder items like pinhead crickets. You COULD go with prekilled or chopped up mealworms, but the problem with that is you absolutely must remove anything uneaten the next day or they'll start to mold and it can be difficult to see if the sling has actually eaten. Also, in an enclosure for moisture dependent species like Ornithoctonus spp, that mold can take over and prove deadly in a week's time.

A little over half of this clutch has already been sold and will ship out after they start eating, but wait, that means more prep work to get ahead of the curve. You'll need shipping vials. Good thing I prepped 200 of them a few weeks back (took a few hours).
View attachment 469960
View attachment 469961
View attachment 469962

Actually getting the slings out of the enclosures and into the vials once the time comes is a bit of a chore as well, especially when you have to do large amounts. Expect another few hours invested there in the future.

Oh, did I mention this is still all for one eggsack? We haven't even discussed the larger Phormingochilus sp Akcaya eggsack maybe 50 days from 2i still in the incubator.....
View attachment 469959

Or the Phormingochilus pennellhewlettorum eggsack that is hopefully getting pulled next Friday that looks equally as large.......

Now that they're all separated, I have another hour of general husbandry work to do in the collection before I can call it a night.

You really have to have a passion for this.
The hero we need 😍