Today in the Spider Room?

MGHamlin

Arachnopeon
How big of a gap is there between the cage and the heated board? I would think they would have to directly touch to heat, the cage up..
My smaller reptile heat mats were 33 each. I used for the roaches.
It's a small gap; probably less than 0.25 inches. I was nervous about putting the enclosures right up against the backing until I saw how things went with a small air gap. As a next step, I'm thinking of putting the thermostat probe in the substrate of one of the enclosures and moving it directly against the backing to see how that works. I wanted to test things out one step at a time to make sure I didn't accidentally cook my Ts.

444 critters

Arachnosquire
They're certainly a bit pricey--$85 for six mats plus the thermostat controller--but my collection isn't so large (yet) that I need more than two sets (I'm hovering around 20 Ts right now).

It's too soon to say on growth rates, as I've only had them in place a few weeks. I will say that I've noticed more activity since I added the mats. And, as noted above, a handful of my Ts have taken to resting up against the glass on the warm side of their enclosure, which I interpret to mean they prefer the warmth.
I think after I build a better shelf I am going to purchase a few more mats and try it out aswell. If they are showing more activity for you and actively picking the warm side to rest on, that's pretty solid evidence that they prefer the warmer temperatures. Atleast a bit warmer then I'm currently providing.. I was considering just closing off my a/c vent to my room, but I'm a tad nervous It would get out of control fairly fast in the coming months giving I live in arizona.. atleast the mats would be able to provide a more controlled environment. Appreciate the information 💪

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Dominique (0.1 Phormictopus sp. Dominican Purple) was NOT in a good mood tonight. Clean my water dish lowly peasant?? How dare you! IMG_20240331_202859259~2.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Pulled the Phormingochilus pennellhewlettorum eggsack today. It was MUCH larger than anticipated.
20240403_134320.jpg
20240403_134608.jpg
20240403_152643.jpg

Phormingochilus sp Akcaya have hit 1i as well.
20240403_152549.jpg

And finally, all of the Ornithoctonus sp Ranong Blue received their first meals early this morning.
20240403_153210.jpg

Busy, busy, busy.....

Itchy Tasty

Arachnopeon
I today I found that my C. Lividius, Orshar, has started doing what I refer to as "playing bongos" with me. It has created what I affectionately call its viewing window at the bottom of its enclosure and if I'm around it will come to the window and watch me.

For those of you concerned about the tapping being a problem, I actually keep my slings in Kilner preserve jars. This is partially because the lids are easy to modify to make enclosures but also because the glass is incredibly thick and acts as a sound buffer. Doing that has taken a lot of potential stress away from my Ts and it's a delight to see them actively coming out and interacting with things in their enclosure while I'm doing jobs in my office. Doing this has had a curious effect where most of the Ts will actively amble up to my hand if I'm holding the jar they're in and start tapping. They'll actually copy me if I gently tap back, hence "playing bongos". I don't think the tapping is anything like a mating response because they're too young for that and it certainly isn't the "leave me alone!!!" tap either, they just seem curious about me.

Shokoon8legs

Arachnopeon
First time experiencing T death. One of my first tarantula 0.0.1 B. auratum (2") death curl this morning. I saw it moving this past week and it was on pre-molt.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Today in the room I decided to do a headcount of the local interlopers that have taken up residence alongside the T's... I counted:

4 daddy-long-legs (cellar spiders, Pholcidae sp.):
1000020666.jpg
1000020664.jpg

3 Parsons spiders (Herpyllus sp.), pics of 2:
1000020658.jpg 1000020659.jpg
1000020661.jpg

And 2 black widows (Latrodectus hesperus), one of which is living in the enclosure with my T. albo. No pics of them - I was too busy catching and relocating them. I don't need them laying eggs in there. The others got to stay, for now at least.

I guess I've created a good environment for spiders. That, or my ability to keep track of feeder insects is poor enough that they're able to find plenty of food in there. 😆

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Of course I have hatched baby crickets in my meanest tarantula's enclosure (Darwin, Aphonopelma anax...hateful little thing like the Aphonopelma paloma, only larger)

They are so freaking cute, I can't cull them just for being born, so the "M.O.B."* gets a rehouse today
PXL_20240410_172957679.jpg

*actually my grandparents' nicknames for each other, he was the "mean old bastard," sometimes the D.O.B., "dirty old bastard," long before the rapper, and she was the "mean old [other pejorative b word usually aimed at women]..." I swear it was a term of endearment 🤣

Edit: on a related note, a one millimeter happy dance is in the works, first official takedown (Aphonopelma steindachneri)
PXL_20240410_204319898~2.jpg

Last edited:

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
If you have any small slings those pinheads can be hard to find locally.
I have three microscopic slings, 2 of which are heavy premolt, the third is "fatter than the sun" as viper would say, tis but a snack according to the little one 🤣 I updated with a photo of the happy dance in progress (did lose 5 crickets trying to get one in lol)

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
thrixopelma cyaneolum male molted today. Can’t tell if he is mature or not until it comes out of the burrow, fingers crossed.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Andromeda, Ephebopus cyanognathus, got rehoused into her forever home. I gave her 24 hours with the old enclosure inside the new enclosure inside yet another giant enclosure to make sure she didn't escape. Looks like she came out to establish a poop corner and then went back home.

Ended up pulling her old turret out with her in it (was the last remaining thing in the enclosure but she wouldn't budge and I was afraid I'd hurt her). Guys this is my most skittish tarantula. I see flashes of her from time to time, her whole body thrice. I think I broke her :( You can see the poop on wall by the vent holes.
View attachment PXL_20240411_162551437.TS~2.mp4

She looks okay, she just hates me
PXL_20240411_163425379.jpg

Found her old cork bark, and a meal
PXL_20240411_182917245.jpg
I put a towel over the half of the enclosure with her old cork bark and where ideally I want her to set up shop. I've heard they can sometimes not re-turret after a rehouse. So far I have had a lot of luck when covering their enclosures for a few days.

Just checked on her now that it's zero dark thirty. She's smack dab in the middle of her new little world, out in the open, with a nice casual stance. Hopefully foraging for new turret material.

Baby cricket fiasco -
I survived my A anax rehouse, and didn't even get a T shirt. The M.O.B. seems to respond better to front approaches with the paintbrush, even with the fangs occupied, will not tolerate a rear approach. She claims she has killed for far less but I think she's mostly an act. 🤣
PXL_20240411_221447420.TS_exported_26369_1712914395984.jpg

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Beautiful lady cambridgei posed perfectly right before turning around, aiming and shooting a perfect poop canon at the door 🤣 How dare I stare I guess
20240411_124503.jpg

My little Mrs. All Hail looking nice in her fresh clothes.
20240411_110130.jpg

MGHamlin

Arachnopeon
Not today, but yesterday. Had what appeared to be a successful pairing of my c. versis yesterday. I'll try pairing them again in a week to up the odds, then it's time to wait on a sac. This is my first attempt at breeding. Wish me luck!

Attachments

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Not today, but yesterday. Had what appeared to be a successful pairing of my c. versis yesterday. I'll try pairing them again in a week to up the odds, then it's time to wait on a sac. This is my first attempt at breeding. Wish me luck!
I have bred C versi several times. Make sure you keep her fed after pairings. You are right to leave it a few days between pairings but if you see sperm webs say after 3 or 4 days, don't hold him back. It is much better when he is locked and loaded. I usually aim for 3 or 4 successful insertions and then keep the female well fed and watered. If she is going to produce a sac you will see heavier than usual webbing and often they completely seal themselves. IME, they make great mums and you should be able to leave the sac with mum. I do tend to pull the sac at about day 42 (6 weeks) for final incubation but you can pull sooner or just leave with mum and wait for the little blue floofers to emerge.
Good luck 👍

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Andromeda, Ephebopus cyanognathus, got rehoused into her forever home. I gave her 24 hours with the old enclosure inside the new enclosure inside yet another giant enclosure to make sure she didn't escape. Looks like she came out to establish a poop corner and then went back home.

Ended up pulling her old turret out with her in it (was the last remaining thing in the enclosure but she wouldn't budge and I was afraid I'd hurt her). Guys this is my most skittish tarantula. I see flashes of her from time to time, her whole body thrice. I think I broke her :( You can see the poop on wall by the vent holes.
View attachment 470738

She looks okay, she just hates me
View attachment 470773

Found her old cork bark, and a meal
View attachment 470774
I put a towel over the half of the enclosure with her old cork bark and where ideally I want her to set up shop. I've heard they can sometimes not re-turret after a rehouse. So far I have had a lot of luck when covering their enclosures for a few days.

Just checked on her now that it's zero dark thirty. She's smack dab in the middle of her new little world, out in the open, with a nice casual stance. Hopefully foraging for new turret
Would have been really cool if you could have deposited her in the turret under the cork bark. Instant familiar home. :)

Here it comes.....today is a good day, it's a genic pic day 😍
Was afraid the genic cults lost you guys for a minute there!
All hail the Princess!

Last edited: