Very concerned for Phiddipus Audax

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
So I got my P audax, Marceline, around 4 months ago. She (not sexed but I call all my spiders she before I can tell lol) was around i3 (I know now that that's kinda young to ship). Always had a bit of trouble hunting but has kind of taken a turn for the worst recently. She molted fine twice with around 30 days in between. About 3 weeks after the second molt she stopped eating (as to be expected). Offered a couple fruit flies every week just in case but she didn't eat for over 50 days and got really skinny and shakey. We've kinda gone into ICU mode and have gotten her to drink honey water and eat prekilled mealworms guts a couple times. Her abdomen is looking a bit better, and I saw her poop but her behavior hasn't improved. She has a lot of trouble climbing, waves her front legs around a lot (not in the normal jumper way), and spends a lot of time on or near the ground. It's been around 70 days since her last molt. Temp is usually around 22 celcius/71 farenheit with little to no dip at night. I spritz the wall of the enclosure a couple times a week so she can drink of the wall and wet the moss when it starts to look too dry. I have 10 other spiders (true spiders and tarantulas in the room and they're all doing fine). Enclosure is 4x4x4 inches. I put the q tip in there to help her climb onto the ledge cuz she likes to bask there. Any help is really appreciated. So sorry for the length of the post just hoping that the more info I give the better my chances of keeping her alive :(

Attachments

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
It could be the decor, if that moss is dyed (and it looks like it is) there could be something in it that has upset your spider after long term exposure. Personally I would pull everything out get some basic corkbark and put that in with fresh sub . It will be basic but you will be able to monitor your spider better that way. Keep doing what your doing offer food like you have every few days, clean any left overs n hope. Unfortunately it's very hard to pin point why a spider crashes, sometimes you never know all you can do is hope that your intervention will help. Maybe try a different viv those tarantula kat enclosure are pretty but don't have the best ventilation which is key for jumpers.
Don't use an icu they are a myth they won't help your spider , a cold damp box with little to no ventilation never helps.

I am sorry I couldn't be more helpful but it sounds like you are already doing everything and anything you can so all I can say is keep doing what your doing and check that moss decor take some out dribble water over it if it runs green get rid of it and change the sub just incase of contaminationfrom the dye. Gl to you both ❀

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the quick response! Checked all the decor etc before using and there seems to be no dye (seller said they don't use any but u never know these days I guess πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ). She was already on the downturn before she was moved into this enclosure (her sling enclosure was a lot smaller and just had a stick, a small piece of cork bark, and a little substrate). Ah by icu I just meant paying a crap ton of attention, honey water, bug guts, etc... pretty new here so wasn't aware that it was used as an actual term in spider worldπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ. I have an extra 3x3x3 lying around that has somewhat better ventilation. It is top opening (not ideal) but it's not like she can make it up there anyways πŸ’€. Do you think it might be a good idea to move her in there with some fresh substrate and a small piece of cork bark? Thank you again I really appreciate any ideas.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Its np.

I would, it will be much easier to monitor your spider in the smaller space and less chance off fall damage if your little one is struggling like you said.

Don't worry it takes a while to pic up the terminology with spiders , I have been keeping close to 3 years now and I still class myself as a noob, there's too much to learn for any 1 person to be an expert 😊

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Ok I'll move her to the smaller enclosure in the morning. Here's hoping for some improvement πŸ•·

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I can't promise improvement because idk why she's not well but I think of it like putting her in hospital, you get a small cubicle or room so the patient doesn't over do it and puts their energy into healing and it is easier to monitor what actually goes on. I really hope it helps and your little one picks up soon your doing everything you can more then most would for a spider the rest is upto her ❀

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Marceline's fancy enclosure rights have been revoked and she has been placed in the Sick Baby Box (TM). The best basking spot has been located and securedπŸ‘

Attachments

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Ok just wanted to give an update on how Marcie is doing. Every day we've been offering prekilled food: chopped up mealworm, pinhead crickets, and flightless fruit flies, switching it out ever day. Every couple days we've offered honey water on a q-tip. I've kept it relatively humid in her enclosure. The erratic behavior had decreased significantly (although she does occasionally still have little freak outs) and her abdomen is looking a bit bigger. No hammock as of yet but there is smth that looks like the beginning of one and she has safety lines all over the place. Right now the goal is to get her to molt. If she doesn't make it at least her last little while on earth was spent getting pampered πŸ’œ
My phone sucks so this is the best pic I could get
20240302_124728.jpg

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Ok just wanted to give an update on how Marcie is doing. Every day we've been offering prekilled food: chopped up mealworm, pinhead crickets, and flightless fruit flies, switching it out ever day. Every couple days we've offered honey water on a q-tip. I've kept it relatively humid in her enclosure. The erratic behavior had decreased significantly (although she does occasionally still have little freak outs) and her abdomen is looking a bit bigger. No hammock as of yet but there is smth that looks like the beginning of one and she has safety lines all over the place. Right now the goal is to get her to molt. If she doesn't make it at least her last little while on earth was spent getting pampered πŸ’œ
My phone sucks so this is the best pic I could get
View attachment 468032
Yep thats the start of a web πŸ•Έ I have absolutely everything crossed for yous but its a good sign little ones doing better and having less fits . Come on tiny babba you can do it!!!

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Ok hopefully this should be the final update. After about a month of intensive care, Marci broke her 100 day strike and molted yesterday!!! She emerged from her hammock this morning and kicked the molt out early afternoon. Looks to have been successful (all her limbs are present) and she's done a little wandering and lots of webbing today.
Her behaviour is pretty much back to normal: no flailing, no random jumping, no freaking out in general, and she's been eating well (all prekilled but it's a step in the right direction).
We'll be keeping her in the small enclosure for another while just to be able to keep better track of her just in case.
I've already posted this photo from a week ago on the jumper pic thread but thought I might as well put it here too just for easy comparison:
20240318_185108.jpg
It's kind of crazy looking at how much progress she's made in just a month.

Sorry I know this has been really long but I felt like there should be a little bit of closure lol. Thanks again to Charliemum not only for the recommendations, but also the encouragement πŸ’–

Theraphosphor

Arachnosquire
That's great news! I'd like to hear others' opinions as well, but to me the enclosure she's in right now seems like a good size for her.

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
That's great news! I'd like to hear others' opinions as well, but to me the enclosure she's in right now seems like a good size for her.
It's ok for now but I kinda like giving my jumpers more space to explore.
The main issue with the 3x3x3 I've got her rn is that it's top opening. That was fine when she couldn't climb at all but she's regained some wall scaling abilities and I know she's going to web it closed the second she can πŸ˜‚.
Now that she's around i6 hopefully soon she'll be able to move to something a touch bigger (probably in the 4x4x4 zone) with some more decoration and most importantly a front opening door lololol

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Obvious molting, extended time frame. Also obvious, initial enclosure has numerous synthetic materials. Almost certain chlorinated compounds present. Nearly all eventually break down into various toxins.

"Deer hoomans. We apologize for not fitting our natural functions into your expected time frames. Espeshully apples to our scorpion cuzins that can go without breathings for a munth ata time."

Last edited:

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Obvious molting, extended time frame. Also obvious, initial enclosure has numerous synthetic materials. Almost certain chlorinated compounds present. Nearly all eventually break down into various toxins.

"Deer hoomans. We apologize for not fitting our natural functions into your expected time frames. Espeshully apples to our scorpion cuzins that can go without breathings for a munth ata time."
Wow Snark. What an unhelpful, unnecessary, and irrelevant thing to say. Consider reading what you're responding to before you start yapping. Your age should not give you the excuse to be to condescending and cruel ❀

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Ok hopefully this should be the final update. After about a month of intensive care, Marci broke her 100 day strike and molted yesterday!!! She emerged from her hammock this morning and kicked the molt out early afternoon. Looks to have been successful (all her limbs are present) and she's done a little wandering and lots of webbing today.
Her behaviour is pretty much back to normal: no flailing, no random jumping, no freaking out in general, and she's been eating well (all prekilled but it's a step in the right direction).
We'll be keeping her in the small enclosure for another while just to be able to keep better track of her just in case.
I've already posted this photo from a week ago on the jumper pic thread but thought I might as well put it here too just for easy comparison:
View attachment 469796
It's kind of crazy looking at how much progress she's made in just a month.

Sorry I know this has been really long but I felt like there should be a little bit of closure lol. Thanks again to Charliemum not only for the recommendations, but also the encouragement πŸ’–
Just seen this I am so so glad she moulted and is doing better soon you will be able to move her to a bigger viv get a couple of meals in and your little one should be good to go 😊 I use Amac boxes for mine they aren't cheap because I am in the uk but I have found them the best fit for my Button (my 3 year old phidippus regius) she's getting old now moves alot less but in her prime she was all over that enclosure and because the lid was a little deeper it never disturbed her web when I opend it. I think the ones I have are 4x4x8 inches . Just remember if you use moss make sure it's just normal moss no funky colours and anything you get for the viv double check it's non toxic these little ones are much more sensitive then us when it comes to toxins. Made my day this has 😊 congratulations to you both for not giving up ❀

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Wow Snark. What an unhelpful, unnecessary, and irrelevant thing to say. Consider reading what you're responding to before you start yapping. Your age should not give you the excuse to be to condescending and cruel ❀
You have to read between the lines with Snark he is blunt and alot of ppl take him the wrong way but he is a huge spider lover and an excellent source of info he has helped me several times and is usually the person I go to for true spider stuff please don't take what he said the wrong way that's him giving info then making a joke 😊 we have a few on ab like this and once you realise they love spiders but not people you understand their bluntness better . They may not care about people feelings but believe they care about your spider .

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Just remember if you use moss make sure it's just normal moss no funky colours and anything you get for the viv double check it's non toxic these little ones are much more sensitive then us when it comes to toxins. Made my day this has 😊 congratulations to you both for not giving up ❀
Don't worry lol checked literally everything I've used for husbandry, enclosures, etc. The universe would really have to be against me if something goes wrong on that front 😁. The other 9 spiders in the room are all doing great so I'm pretty sure it was an isolated incident πŸ‘.

You have to read between the lines with Snark he is blunt and alot of ppl take him the wrong way but he is a huge spider lover and an excellent source of info he has helped me several times and is usually the person I go to for true spider stuff please don't take what he said the wrong way that's him giving info then making a joke 😊 we have a few on ab like this and once you realise they love spiders but not people you understand their bluntness better . They may not care about people feelings but believe they care about your spider .
There's definitely a place for tough love and brutal honesty especially when it comes to animal wellbeing. What I can't really get around is ignoring information provided in exchange for an intentionally poorly spelled sarcastic quip πŸ˜†

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

is it the moss I don’t know much about those fancy decorations, ? They seem popular for jumpers

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Don't worry lol checked literally everything I've used for husbandry, enclosures, etc. The universe would really have to be against me if something goes wrong on that front 😁. The other 9 spiders in the room are all doing great so I'm pretty sure it was an isolated incident πŸ‘.

There's definitely a place for tough love and brutal honesty especially when it comes to animal wellbeing. What I can't really get around is ignoring information provided in exchange for an intentionally poorly spelled sarcastic quip πŸ˜†
πŸ˜† that's his sense of humour Snark is actually a stickler for spelling that's how you know when he jokes and things that link in his head don't always in ours but please know he would not have ment it in malice 😊 it's just Snark and his ways 😊

That's great I look forward to seeing her in her new digs πŸ₯° really glad shes better and moulted and thank you for letting us know how she is , ppl never used to but I have noticed alot more are atm and I am loving it makes me happy to know the spider/t is OK 😊