Warning: Death from cuteness is possible

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
"....and making headlines today, a user of Arachnoboards by the name of edgeofthefreak suddenly perished at the sight of several adorable images. Sadly, this news source cannot show these dangerous images to the general public for fear that--"

"...family was unable to be reached for comment, though one source overheard they were replacing their beloved with something called a Sugar Glider. When approached for further--"

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ew! Why are you posting those hideous, ugly, nasty vermin! Those things look disgusting. I think those are the ugliest animals I have ever seen, shame on you for posting such vile, gross creatures.

And that is what someone who was stupid would say. Those are adorable.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I really always have wanted a sugar glider, but right now is not the best time to consider buying one haha. I'm glad that these little marsupials actually live a long time because I know many small mammals and marsupials generally don't have long lifespans.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
They're not really that hard to keep and maintain. Except the heating part (since i have no need for those) People just tend to exaggerate a lot when an animal costs waaay too much. Since a pair here costs a third of what it would a single animal in the US/EU region I still have 4 (was originally 5, sold 3 then one of my females gave birth to twins hence 4 lol).. Imagine sleeping time.... Sudden death haha

Ripa

Arachnobaron
They're not really that hard to keep and maintain. Except the heating part (since i have no need for those) People just tend to exaggerate a lot when an animal costs waaay too much. Since a pair here costs a third of what it would a single animal in the US/EU region I still have 4 (was originally 5, sold 3 then one of my females gave birth to twins hence 4 lol).. Imagine sleeping time.... Sudden death haha
Oh no, it's not that. I live in a college dorm and I'm not even allowed to keep pets here (and they do unannounced dorm checks too- they even confiscated a Siamese fighting fish from someone- how is a betta fish going to do any bad!?!?!). It's bad enough I have a small collection of arthropods in my dorm lol. I have pets back home that I visit and clean, and keep up to maintenance once a month- otherwise my parents and little brother help with their care when I'm not around. I still want one (or two, since they're very social) in the future after I finish college or find an apartment that actually is lenient with pets.
I never understood why dorms are so strict about pets- I've contracted far more diseases from the people living here this past year than I've gotten sick from any of my pets in the past (actually none!). Heck, right now I've been suffering with viral bronchitis for the past 2 weeks from people who don't know how to cover their mouths when they cough! >:/

Rhiannonn

Arachnopeon
Southern flying squirrels are a great substitute too! 20 year lifespan, bond to their owners, can be kept alone, and no glider musk lol. I have a rescue, but they are available in the pet trade or for adoption from the national flying squirrel association (yes, that actually exists!). My bonded female even goes to work with me in my shirt and no one ever knows lol Well, except the Postmaster, since he keeps pecan bits in his desk just for her...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sugar gliders always seem cute at shows, can't remember what it was I heard from an owner that made me think I shouldn't get one.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Sugar gliders always seem cute at shows, can't remember what it was I heard from an owner that made me think I shouldn't get one.
I watched that youtube video on why not to get sugar gliders. Kept me from getting for about 2 years. After that I got 5 and I'm loving them ever sinice hahaha

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not saying they aren't fun. Did some reading, said they are very social, and if they don't get enough attention they get can get mean. Best to have at least 2 at a time. Didn't realize there were so many coat colors, they are like cats!

Aviara

Arachnoknight
How adorable! I rescued a pair of sugar gliders, very hesitantly because I'd always been warned about how difficult their care is. Honestly, they are so worth it! The only "difficult" parts are mixing their diet (I feed a diet that requires a lot of blending and freezing of various fresh foods) and providing novel enrichment to keep their little lives interesting. We lost one female due to improper nutrition in the past, but Luna is still with us and she's wonderful. The work is so worth it when you consider how adorable and sweet they really are. A lot of people see my glider and instantly remark about how they're evil, biting little monsters, but if raised properly that's not the case. They're certainly not for everyone, but if you are dedicated and have enough money to afford their diet, I'd highly recommend sugar gliders!

Tivia

Arachnopeon
Oh. My. Gosh!! Adorable!! I have wanted sugar gliders since I first saw them in '95!!! One day I'll get a pair. :love: Southern flying squirrels are pretty darn cute, too!!

Rhiannonn

Arachnopeon
I'll have to see if I can get a photo of my flying squirrel Pixie where she isn't down my shirt... but I wouldn't trade her for anything. I'm home tree lol she sleeps in my shirt most of the day when I'm not working and then when she wakes ups she runs up and down mine and my husband's body like a mad woman. She throws nuts at the cat. He's terrified of her and hides when she's out since when he was a kitten she would regularly pounce on him. And one of her favorite stunts is to sit at the top of the curtain rod and glide to your head with absolutely no warning. She's a feisty little beast but for sure the best pet I've ever had.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
They're certainly not for anyone who is iffy about bugs or has too low of energy to keep up with them haha!

I have four among my other animals and i must say, i find keeping axolotls harder here than keeping gliders haha

Ripa

Arachnobaron
They're certainly not for anyone who is iffy about bugs or has too low of energy to keep up with them haha!

I have four among my other animals and i must say, i find keeping axolotls harder here than keeping gliders haha
Are gliders more rewarding than hedgehogs? Because I've owned one for close to 5 years before she passed from a uterine cyst that caused anemia. Hedgehogs are not very sociable and their poop is terrible-smelling. I could deal with the poop if they weren't so skittish. I've also owned ferrets before which, while definitely animals you have to monitor when playing since they get into a lot of stuff, are a rewarding experience (although they're probably the pickiest mammals I've ever dealt with). Unfortunately mine both died separately of lymphoma. I would do it again if I had the space and time (they need a min of 4 hours playtime a day- I gave mine 6).

With that said, which would you relate the personality of sugar gliders to? Rats, ferrets, or hedgehogs? All of which I was successful with, the former two I enjoyed a lot more than the latter.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Thank you for the review on hedgehogs. I don't want to own ANYTHING with skittish poop. :p
Lol!

On a serious note, though, I will say that even if they get accustomed to you after constant handling (and getting pricked dozens of times from them curling up in your hand and hissing/ puffing), within a week's time or less and little-to-no socialization, they will revert back to their skittish nature. Not very bright mammals and fairly primitive brains. It's funny how goldfish can have better relationships with their owners than hedgehogs can.