What T's are faster than P.irminia?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hererothele gabonensis
I had the villosella, she was quick, but more like an Avic with short spurts. Never really ran except once and that wasn't that fast :D

Due to the fact that we don't have a means of measuring the true speeds, this is still personal impression. Under said, I'm still voting for Tappies.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
I still think my t.gigas is faster but my dwarf is the most challenging house keeping wise, it always tries to run out and I've had to recapture it before, which loosing a little t is a nightmare.
Mines just moulted, so it's been hiding away a lot, but prior to that basically everytime i opened the tub, it would rush out. They're a bit hyper :p

---------- Post added 09-28-2014 at 03:25 PM ----------

@Crotalid they are beautiful from sling to adult too. :wink:
Haha! That's why i got one :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Mines just moulted, so it's been hiding away a lot, but prior to that basically everytime i opened the tub, it would rush out. They're a bit hyper :p

---------- Post added 09-28-2014 at 03:25 PM ----------

Haha! That's why i got one :)
Fortunately mine only went two feet away from the cage, but still was shocking as it leaped onto my arm and used it as a bridge to get to the table. I house it in a slightly larger cage and it has appeared to have chilled out a bit.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I housed it in a slightly larger cage and it has appeared to have chilled out a bit.
Good idea. Larger cages give you more time to react before they're out, and spiders are less likely to panic when the lid is opened and a giant hand comes in. Small/tight cages make things worse.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Small/tight cages make things worse.
Depends on the type of spider. I prefer smaller/tighter cages for faster arboreal species. But that's after years of experience -- i wouldn't recommend that to a beginner. Never owned Hapalopus before, so I can't say what I'd do with them, though.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Depends on the type of spider. I prefer smaller/tighter cages for faster arboreal species. But that's after years of experience -- i wouldn't recommend that to a beginner. Never owned Hapalopus before, so I can't say what I'd do with them, though.
Even with years of experience, I think tight vertical cages are asking for problems with fast arboreals. In a top-opening vertical, they can be up and out in a flash, likewise in a front-opening vertical if they start doing laps. With a tight horizontal cage, at least you have a little more room to maneuver and your hand isn't 'right there' as an offering for them to bite. If you have high-speed Asian terrestrials, Stromatopelma, etc, you don't want any kind of small, tight cage. They're out before you can react. A bigger cage gives you more of a buffer with mad dashes.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to agree with you here. It really does depend on the type of tarantula.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Probably not the fastest, but throwing this out there as a contender based on all the vids I've seen of them turning into purple and grey tornadoes when disturbed: L. violaceopes?

I've been learning all I can about the species because I want one once I've got a few years worth of experience under my belt. What I've observed from video footage is they seem to be on par with pokies in terms of speed, but all the specimens I've seen footage of appeared to be far more skittish than at least some species of poec. Are these impressions accurate?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Even with years of experience, I think tight vertical cages are asking for problems with fast arboreals. In a top-opening vertical, they can be up and out in a flash, likewise in a front-opening vertical if they start doing laps. With a tight horizontal cage, at least you have a little more room to maneuver and your hand isn't 'right there' as an offering for them to bite. If you have high-speed Asian terrestrials, Stromatopelma, etc, you don't want any kind of small, tight cage. They're out before you can react. A bigger cage gives you more of a buffer with mad dashes.
Several of my spiders I have deemed "Large Cage Candidates", things like my O sp Blue, T.gigas and of course my H.sp Columbia. Other spiders like my pamph or phormic don't really require a large cage as I usually don't have much troubles with them. I think my N.chormatus will be kept in a larger cage as well as it's growing up to be quite excitable. I just make a judgement call on who I think would be better off in larger cages, but fast aboreals I think should always have a large cage as just by observation of their teleportation powers.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Probably not the fastest, but throwing this out there as a contender based on all the vids I've seen of them turning into purple and grey tornadoes when disturbed: L. violaceopes?
Yes, they're one that can do high speed laps on the sides of their cages in a blur. While Poecs are capable of that, they tend to mellow out with age, and usually prefer to hold still and blend in with the surroundings (not always though). Violaceopes are more high strung and less predictable. When you take off the lid, you never know if it will be calm, routine maintenance or the Indy 500. Once they feel they've been spotted, or are touched, all bets are off. Keep the lid handy, along with a catch cup. If they're out, it's best to tap the cage and let them go inside their retreat. If they get wound up, close it up and come back later.

Akai

Arachnobaron
I also would like to add they are semi fossorial too if they have enough moist substrate to burrow in. They need their hiding places. lol

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
But you're limiting the room the spider has to maneuver, as well. As fast and acrobatic as they are, they still need some space to perform their aerial skills. An extra six inches is *not* going to give you any more of a chance to get your hand (more appropriately tongs or other tools) out of their range - you're giving them the space and yourself a false sense of security. Most important is your reaction, or lack thereof. I've kept Poecs, H macs, Lampros and others in both "larger" and "tighter" cages - and I prefer tighter.

awiec

Arachnoprince
But you're limiting the room the spider has to maneuver, as well. As fast and acrobatic as they are, they still need some space to perform their aerial skills. An extra six inches is *not* going to give you any more of a chance to get your hand (more appropriately tongs or other tools) out of their range - you're giving them the space and yourself a false sense of security. Most important is your reaction, or lack thereof. I've kept Poecs, H macs, Lampros and others in both "larger" and "tighter" cages - and I prefer tighter.
To each their own really. I know the set up I have for my T.gigas keeps both of us happy. It throws the bolus and feces on the other side of the cage where I can easily clean it up without spooking it. My pokies I do keep in tighter cages as they seem to feel more secure in them but every spider gets a cage I feel is appropriate for its personality.

Frogo224

Arachnopeon
S. Calceatum is easily the fastest I've had the pleasure of dealing with.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If they get wound up, close it up and come back later.
This is something that is very true for all those fast species: A T that is already fired up is best left alone for the time being. Otherwise you're asking for problems in my experience.

With one exception: Those that you want to be that way.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
To each their own really. I know the set up I have for my T.gigas keeps both of us happy. It throws the bolus and feces on the other side of the cage where I can easily clean it up without spooking it. My pokies I do keep in tighter cages as they seem to feel more secure in them but every spider gets a cage I feel is appropriate for its personality.
If you feel more comfortable with a larger cage, then use a larger one. The importance is your confidence, which will affect your reaction.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Fortunately mine only went two feet away from the cage, but still was shocking as it leaped onto my arm and used it as a bridge to get to the table. I house it in a slightly larger cage and it has appeared to have chilled out a bit.
Mine is like 1.5" and the enclosure is 6" by 3".

I've bought a balfouri sling, can't wait. Although they look bad as slings, as most slings do. What size do they start showing adult coloration?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
An extra six inches is *not* going to give you any more of a chance to get your hand (more appropriately tongs or other tools) out of their range.

Actually, six inches more of cage can mean the difference between getting the lid on, and having to try to catch a spider that's running across the floor and heading for an appliance or heavy furniture. High strung species tend to panic easier in tight cages. What works for you probably won't work for most people.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Actually, six inches more of cage can mean the difference between getting the lid on, and having to try to catch a spider that's running across the floor and heading for an appliance or heavy furniture. High strung species tend to panic easier in tight cages. What works for you probably won't work for most people.
Hence why I said I wouldn't recommend it to beginners and to do what makes one most comfortable. :)