Why new people are advised against fast, feistry, OW Ts

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Even when I try to put the lid back on, they stand their ground. Absolutely adorable... Don't know what Im going to do with them when they grow up LOL They are definitely not going easy on me.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Of all my Ts, my Cyriopagopus sp. "Hati Hati" have the fiercest response, and attitude... 0.5" slings, mouthful of food, yet still threatposing me on the lip of their vials. The best thing is they dont retreat at all... Love them :)
My best eater is a Brazilian Black. That thing has the meanest attitude too. Only T I own that never runs. If I try and move him with tongs by tapping his butt he puts his front legs up and tries to flip around and strike. When he is eating he is eating. I can put 20 crickets in the cage and he will do his best to put every last one in his mouth no matter how many are still there. Once his mouth gets too full he throws down some web and drops the ball of dead crickets then kinda pats it with palps into a ball and picks it back up and continues eating and trying to catch more crickets. So much fun to watch. He is also the only T I have who bites into the cage top. One of those common petco green lids with clear window door, you know the ones. He climbs up side on cork bark then sticks his fans threw the holes and pulls back on it. I'm in my T room sometimes and I hear the cracking from him pulling his fangs on it. Such a crazy spider. He is also the only spider who has lost a fang that I've owned (gee i wonder why rite lol?) I actually kept all molts through the progression of the damage and healing. It went from being fine, to being split in half, then it was completely gone, then came back as a stub (not sharp) and finally in last molt it returned to full glory.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sure if I had an OW instead of a NW 1 inch T, it wouldn't had died from a measly cricket outside.
I just read another post from another thread, I now see what you meant. Ai jai jai never feed wild caught prey to your Ts! You don't know where it came from or where it has been, it could've been exposed to pesticides or some other form of chemical that might be why your T is in the state it currently is. And what affects a NW can affect an OW too.

And next time if you have something that concerns you about your Ts, please post a new thread. Don't post questions in 2 or 3 other different threads that is totally irrelevant to your situation.
From that other thread, I think the consensus was dehydration due to poor husbandry. Empty water dish, bark chips...
Shame, blaming the death on a cricket when it was entirely preventable with a bit of reading and learning.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
From that other thread, I think the consensus was dehydration due to poor husbandry. Empty water dish, bark chips...
Shame, blaming the death on a cricket when it was entirely preventable with a bit of reading and learning.
Yes, that thread was posted after the initial posts by him on other threads where he stated he fed it a wild caught cricket, why my initial conclusion was that the feeder was exposed to some sort of chemical or pesticide that led to the Ts death. Only after these posts did he post a thread explaining the situation with pictures.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, that thread was posted after the initial posts by him on other threads where he stated he fed it a wild caught cricket, why my initial conclusion was that the feeder was exposed to some sort of chemical or pesticide that led to the Ts death. Only after these posts did he post a thread explaining the situation with pictures.
I think I missed that first thread entirely, but those pictures posted in the newer one are pretty conclusive.

SnowMonkey

Arachnopeon
A lot of keepers who didn't adhere to the ladder system oftem seem to make this argument and assume that because they've made it this far without incident, experience must therefore be secondary to knowledge.

No, you've just got lucky my friend! Studying up can inform you on making the proper decisions but theory vs. praxis are two entirely different realms. To transfer a T you may read up that the bag method is a good one to use. Great! You know of a tried-and-tested method to mitigate risk when transferring hot Ts and the theoretical steps involved - but how do you know where to position yourself so you feel most comfortable working? How would you know how to handle yourself if the T bolts out of the enclosure when you deliberate just one second too long? Reading up won't inform you of every variable that can come into play out in reality. You'll need the experience to gauge your performance with the tips and tricks themselves and determine what your weaknesses and strengths may be and how to adjust accordingly. Anal retentive adherence to safe practices is an excellent place to start but just as anything else, you can't just read the manual and expect to perform everything perfectly. This reasoning is why so many are adamant proponents of the ladder system.
Spiders are spiders. True spiders are fast and shy too, and you can stick them in cups. Honestly, I find my H. mac slings more challenging to rehouse than the OBT. I just don't see why it would have benefited me to wait to go to "advanced" Ts. I think a lot of y'all are being overly dramatic about it. You just have to be super careful with them, and be the kind of person that doesn't freak when a wasp lands on them.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Spiders are spiders. True spiders are fast and shy too, and you can stick them in cups. Honestly, I find my H. mac slings more challenging to rehouse than the OBT. I just don't see why it would have benefited me to wait to go to "advanced" Ts. I think a lot of y'all are being overly dramatic about it. You just have to be super careful with them, and be the kind of person that doesn't freak when a wasp lands on them.
I don't think the people who have been tagged by a Pokie, H. mac, OBT, etc would say they were being overly dramatic when they write their bite reports. Yes, being careful is pretty much a given but without the actual real world experience you're still going to be relying on a decent amount of luck when it comes to quickly moving up to OW tarantulas.