A. avic project

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good luck with this one. Hopefully it works out. :)
There is so much luck involved with eggcases though. Took me 3 years to get my first successful sac and then you see people that have been in the hobby for a matter of months and get a perfect sac within that time(Kinda annoys me... :) ).

PEIMike

Arachnopeon
could also use a hypadermic needle to water also, wouldnt have to even touch the enclosure.

ill be checking this thread routinely, hoping you get babies out of this.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good luck with this one. Hopefully it works out. :)
There is so much luck involved with eggcases though. Took me 3 years to get my first successful sac and then you see people that have been in the hobby for a matter of months and get a perfect sac within that time(Kinda annoys me... :) ).
Thanks Cera.. and i am with you about the whole aanoying thing. I remember you telling me it took 3 years in another thread and understand completely now.
What irks me is when people can buy a first t, and it drops for them a week or two after they bring it home. Im glad for them, but jealous at the same time.

Ive always learned the hard way though, so having to correct my mistakes is nothing new. I see a couple things ive continued to do wrong, and will adjust till i get it right.
Hopefully my luck starts turnin around. I got a few gravid girls now, and plan on a few new pairings soon enough

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would add some water to the substrate since it appears to be really dry. You'll need to keep the humidity up inside of the enclosure or else you'll be disappointed once you go to pull the eggsac and find a bunch of dried up eggs.
+1,as Jason said make sure there is at least moisture in the substrate. We have had many Tap sacks produced without a waterbowl in the enclosure,we just made sure to give the substrate a good soaking and most of the time that is all that is needed.
Well, i took the advice you guys gave.
The booger sucker tool thingy wouldnt work due to being too large so i went to Petco and bought a small animal eye dropper. I heavily saturated the soil with the exception of where the sack is.
I will continue to do so about once a week.
She is still gaurding it very closely, but have not caught her rolling it up and down the tube. Then again, she is still at my old house and i only go there about every other day. I will likely be carefully driving her to my new house tomorrow (along with a few other ts still there) so i can keep a closer eye

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, i took the advice you guys gave.
The booger sucker tool thingy wouldnt work due to being too large so i went to Petco and bought a small animal eye dropper. I heavily saturated the soil with the exception of where the sack is.
I will continue to do so about once a week.
She is still gaurding it very closely, but have not caught her rolling it up and down the tube. Then again, she is still at my old house and i only go there about every other day. I will likely be carefully driving her to my new house tomorrow (along with a few other ts still there) so i can keep a closer eye
I haven't bred any species so far, but I'd be careful about moistening the substrate really. It can also attract mites which wouldn't be too good. Wouldn't a bigger waterdish solve the same purpose?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kind of too late to provide her with a dish :) and really dont see much need for one either honestly. Been keeping her for 6+ months like this, and have been keeping others for like 2 yrs this way and have never had any mite or other problems as of yet.
Soon as this sack eventually gets pulled, i will just go back to misting and the eye dropper will just become another tool in "the ol' T kit" (which is an abandoned 10 gal tank full of crap.. everything from back up tongs/fake plants/cheese cloth/batteries for lights/etc

rasulsimakshah

Arachnosquire
Soon as this sack eventually gets pulled, i will just go back to misting and the eye dropper will just become another tool in "the ol' T kit" (which is an abandoned 10 gal tank full of crap.. everything from back up tongs/fake plants/cheese cloth/batteries for lights/etc
hahah i hear you on that!

good luck moving her tomorrow!! :) hope she does well and the sack is ok after.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, its seriously like a 3 minute car drive so its not that bad. All smooth back roads. I dont think it will be too much of a problem.
I have like 18/20 or so ts still there that have to all get boxed up tight and make the drive.

rasulsimakshah

Arachnosquire
hahaha yeah, i've been there. moved my whole collection with me to college at the end of the summer...boxing up like 40 slings and 5 adults and making the 2 1/2 hour drive was nerve wracking haha

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have tongs/foreceps/tweezers of different sizes.
I misplace them a lot bouncing from one area of ts to another.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ive been meaning to get a nice snake hook. Makes interacting with large and nasty tarantulas very easy.
A few months ago i was interacting with Chrisduhfurs giant female violaceopes (doing a breeding attempt) with his hook and have been envious ever since.
I gotta finally get around to buying one.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Im building one. Just a cut off chunk of broom handle, and a 3' piece of 1/8" metal dowel.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I haven't bred any species so far, but I'd be careful about moistening the substrate really. It can also attract mites which wouldn't be too good. Wouldn't a bigger waterdish solve the same purpose?
Tarantulas don't need water dishes. They are a waste of time.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just got tired of constantly having to intrude on my ts to clean feces out of them haha. My MM B. albo all but sealed the deal for me. After raising that bastard, i vowed not to use waterdishes anymore.

I think a total of 2 in my collection have them.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just got tired of constantly having to intrude on my ts to clean feces out of them haha. My MM B. albo all but sealed the deal for me. After raising that bastard, i vowed not to use waterdishes anymore.

I think a total of 2 in my collection have them.
I had one water dish for my P. ornata female for the first year I had her but she kept putting substrate in it so I stopped filling it up and have since removed it from her enclosure. I have over 250 tarantulas now and not a single water dish and they all seem to be doing just fine. Plus, it's way easier to just pour water into the substrate. I don't think T's have water dishes in the wild either. :)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just got tired of all the poo in the dish. I would watch my B. albo (mainly) and a few other ts walk to their dishes after a cleaning and dip their spinnerettes in there and drop the deuce.

I basically thought to myself that its common knowledge that its ill advised to constantly stress ts (which cage maintenance does, to a degree) and the fact that poo in a water dish is basically the equivilant to a bacteria infested sponge.

I could be way off, but thats my logic.

I will note that i do enjoy dishes in certain ts enclosures (Lp and A. genic for example) because i like the way they attack the water while filling. I admit that im selfish, and i offer them dishes strictly for personal entertainment