A. avic project

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
last i checked (like 2 days ago) she was! I even caught her sort of pushing her sack around a bit.
She was still clutched onto the thing so that gives me hope.

I honestly am not trying to even think about it bro.. Thats when the "what ifs" follow and i get fixated lol.
I will be pulling it on the 28th and hoping for the best. I may even try to take a vid seeing how this girl isnt as scary as the last one

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@kyahalhai
just as an update the girl is still clutching tightly.
I added more water yesterday (via eyedropper and vent holes) and all looked well/like it has been so far.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I realized - today's the 28th.....

.... and no update....

Did you pull the sack?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
3rd time is the charm

K so i got home from a crazy long day and rushed to get to home then to my old house to pull the sack.

Im very pleased with what im seeing:biggrin: Looks like i got it right with this eggsack. Makes up for the two that went badly.

Aavicsack.jpg
Aavicopen1.jpg
Aavic1i.jpg
Aavic1iincubator.jpg
Aavicincubator.jpg

Prior to pulling the sack, i instantly noticed her enclosure had gone through some changes. The web tube had turned into a fully enclosed web ball and it appears she had rolled the sack a lot tighter?
It looked a lot smaller and neatly wrapped rather than like a cotton ball.

This by far was the easiest sack to pull, as well as to open.
Not a single egg.. not a single dud.. all looked perfect. I am very pleased with the mom, and im very glad i waited a full 30 (possibly 31) days

There are still a couple ewls ( i think) but they all are mostly 1i. A couple are molting to 1i as I type.

rasulsimakshah

Arachnosquire
slings look great! hopefully things continue to go this great for them and your future breeding projects! thanks for letting me tag along on this one. :biggrin:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im not sure of exact numbers yet. Honestly im too tired to count. Definitely not a LOT, but im happy with the outcome for now.

they are all still in the single incubator at my old house.
Aavicincubator2.jpg

I have them all in a tall deli suspended hammock style. The filter is secured by a rubberband, and is topped with a lid that has 2 (roughly 1/16th or 1/8th ) holes punched in it.
There is about 2-3" of water in the deli with a single hole (of the same size) punched right above the water line.

They are being heated by a heat lamp about 6" away from the incubator. I placed the incubator in the exact spot the moms enclosure was to replicate her home. If you look carefully you will see the moms enclosure right behind the incubator

I am a bit concerned about incubating as i know people tend to place them directly on wet coco fiber at 1i.
I will likely be doing so tomorrow or saturday when the remaining few ewls molt to 1i also.

Do any experienced breeders see a threat/problem with this current temporary setup?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no problem bro.
Hope all these guys hit 2i.

Thank YOU for helping make it possible. I will keep you updated with any thing thats going on, and hopefully i can get your share to you soon enough

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they still got a ways to go before i get my hopes up on dispersing them haha

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very awesome bro! You diserve this one to work out for you, and i hope every single one of them make it to a buyers/traders hands.

Honestly, the heat lamp would scare me. It might not at all create a problem. But ive never used one like that. I have however used them for lizards, chickens, etc., and know that they can bake, boil, dry out stuff fast. So keep a major eye on it. And yeah, the moist coco fiber would be the best bet when they are ewls and up. That way they can hydrate, and molt successfully (Thanks Brett!).

Damzlfly

Arachnopeon
Sorry - I dont mean to hijack, but I have a dumb question here. What is an EWL? And how do you tell the instars?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
EWL= egg/s with legs. Instars are easy to tell, if you are the one that hatched them. After ewl, will be 1st instar and so on. At 1st instar they will look more tarantula like, but still not quite. When they hit 2nd instar, they look alot more like a tarantula, and are ready to spererate/eat/be sold.
Sorry - I dont mean to hijack, but I have a dumb question here. What is an EWL? And how do you tell the instars?

Damzlfly

Arachnopeon
Thank you!

Greyzone, can't wait to see more pics of your babies! Avics are my favourite :)

brotony101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats! I might be interested in a couple if you still have them when the weather warms up.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very awesome bro! You diserve this one to work out for you, and i hope every single one of them make it to a buyers/traders hands.

Honestly, the heat lamp would scare me. It might not at all create a problem. But ive never used one like that. I have however used them for lizards, chickens, etc., and know that they can bake, boil, dry out stuff fast. So keep a major eye on it. And yeah, the moist coco fiber would be the best bet when they are ewls and up. That way they can hydrate, and molt successfully (Thanks Brett!).
yeah i will be keeping an eye for the heat. It honestly doesnt get too hot unless its directly over or on an enclosure. At 6" or so away it is the same heat that has got them to where theyre at (size/age wise) currently.

They are still doing fine today and i will likely be placing them on moist substrate tomorrow or sunday.
I would like them to have moving room as well.
I was super delicate in getting them from the sack to the filter last night. I basically just let them spill out on top of eachother gently. I dont want them to be piled up on eachother out of fear of some being smothered? I dont know if that could even happen (seeing how they all smother in a sack) but the fear is still there.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
OK man that sounds good. Just remember to be careful with it.

Glad they are doing good. Honestly, i switch over to moist coco fiber once they molt to 1st instar. I usually keep them on coffee filters until then. When i transfer from sac to incubator, i lay the sac on a coffee filter, and then lay that on a dinner plate. Then i use a plastic measuring spoon thats called a Smidgen (1/32 tsp). I just gently scoop them one by one, sometimes two. I keep track of them with tally marks. I really doubt they could be smothered. I mean heck in the sac who knows how cramped they really are. I worry more about the ewls sticking together, or one of thier biters pointing at another one lol. But they do fine, just leave em be, and make sure the moisture stays up. Good luck bro!
yeah i will be keeping an eye for the heat. It honestly doesnt get too hot unless its directly over or on an enclosure. At 6" or so away it is the same heat that has got them to where theyre at (size/age wise) currently.

They are still doing fine today and i will likely be placing them on moist substrate tomorrow or sunday.
I would like them to have moving room as well.
I was super delicate in getting them from the sack to the filter last night. I basically just let them spill out on top of eachother gently. I dont want them to be piled up on eachother out of fear of some being smothered? I dont know if that could even happen (seeing how they all smother in a sack) but the fear is still there.