A. avic project

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dang bro, that sucks that some of them died off. The good looking ones are not dark enough yet, so no molting just yet. Take a look at the versi in my pairing thread, they will get jet black. These ones got blacker than any other slings i can remember. Shouldnt be much longer though.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, im thinking they will be nice and dark, or maybe even molting by NEXT weekend. I am definitely going to start checking in on them more than 1x weekly though. I expected some losses, but did not forsee that^ above. I believe i have the problem all situated though, and am hoping to experience few to no more casualties

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Glad you think you have it figured out man. Yeah 1 time a week isnt good. Never know what will happen day to day. I check mine every day. If the moisture looks a little low, i add to it.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
as an update i havent checked in on these guys since Monday.
Today i went and checked in on them and discovered 9 more have died, and one is really stiff with its legs outstretched, but still responsive.

all 71 remaining slings basically look like this currently
avic1idark.jpg

I was really expecting to find some 2i (its been really warm here the past few days) but i guess i have to be patient!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sorry to hear this bro. I wish we could figure out what the heck is up with Avics doing this. The versicolor sac I have now, I am going to let her hatch it to see how it goes. 4 of my versi made it to 2nd instar and are eating right now.

rasulsimakshah

Arachnosquire
damn man, hate to hear of more dying. but it happens a lot...i've had multiple 2i/3i avics die without warning on me. :-/ hopefully the majority of the 71 will make it to 2i soon.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
these guys are getting darker by the day man. Only a few are lighter than the one pictured.
I posted this pic as a size reference as well... some are about half that size, while others are slightly larger. I cant believe there could be such a difference in size at 1i

all the remaining slings appear very lively and active/strong so hopefully we win the race against time. Id like to believe that once they hit 2i they will be a lot stronger/a lot less fragile

---------- Post added 03-30-2013 at 07:25 PM ----------

maybe after this fresh round of misting, and the 70+ degree weather were already getting here in WA, these guys will be reaching 2i this week?
Im no expert, but i cant imagine them getting any blacker

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
just got word that these guys are molting. Some are already 2i. I will be going to check on them tomorrow and observe the progress and see how many have done the deed! :D

rasulsimakshah

Arachnosquire
aww yeahhh sweet man! hopefully we haven't lost too many since last check up. can't wait to hear about it!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i hope not bro. Since my last update i have stopped by once briefly. I did not go through ALL of them, but didnt notice any dead (off of what i peeked in on)

When i went through them all one by one (on the 30th) the ones alive still seemed very strong. I will definitely be gettin at ya tomorrow!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, so as an update the whole "molt thing" was a false alarm. My cousin was thinking they molted because they were on their backs and wiggling.. not to mention a different color.

What i found was a good amount of slings lookin like this
blackavic.jpg

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hopefully they make it through man. Some of those versi I hatched also darkened up, but never did anything else. Best of luck!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
TA DA!

These guys decided to start molting for me as a birthday present haha. I am rushing over tomorrow after work for a count on whose all at what stage! avic2i.jpg

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been watching this thread and I still missed this post last night.

Happy birthday! (well a day late...)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, think ive gotten most of the kinks worked out! All its taking is experience/trial and error! Im still not sure if some of the losses ive been experiencing with this sack is due to anything ive done/am doing, or if it was just meant to be.
Hopefully from here on out things continue to go smoothly with this sack. I have a couple other projects starting this weekend, PLUS a few others in the very near future.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Out For A Stroll

aviconfinger.jpg
aviconarm.jpg
So far 9 of these lil guys have molted.

A good amount are still either oily black (as previously shown) or a bit lighter (almost blue looking)
and suprisingly a lot are still very white/creamy like they need a lot more time.
strange that individualism is already noticably apparent.
Also, some of the 2i slings are like 3/8" while others are like 3/4