A. avic project

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
K so starting this one a bit late, but i figured it would be handy to keep my dates accordingly, and to visually update the loaner of the MM.

I bought my 5" female A.avic from a member here back in August right after her molt. A couple weeks went by, and i met up locally with a member to start a breeding project.
The member had a MM that was the same size as my girl, and we tried pairing once with no luck.
I had to leave town for a month, and the member watched my girl until the end of September, and supposedly attempted to pair a few other times.
Fast forward to Mid-December (12/19/12) i recieved a 3 1/2" maximum MM from kyahalhai21311 and immediately went to the pairing attempt.

This male was in the enclosure for nearly 1 minute and began vibrating. My girl was very quick to turn on the male and began drumming back very animatedly. Something she did NOT do at all with the previous MM i tried using.

This new male got very long insertions with both palps and i pulled him. I tried again about a week later with nothing, so i gave it another week then tried again. The 3rd hook up was successful as well, even though the female was not so enthused.
The male was safely shipped back to Russell and will be likely seeing his female sooner or later

Anyways, i always knew that these guys were fairly quick to drop, but dang... its been 39 days so far, and her enclosure looks like this avicden1.jpg avicden2.jpg A.avicprepping.jpg

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
she has been like this for about a week or so now, and up until now she has been eating very greedily. I havent been giving her special care at all, but tonight i flooded half her cage and upped the heat a bit.

I never really knew this, but A. avicularia candles like a Poeci, and this girl is VERY bright. She is also very huge for her frame. I wish i could post more pics, but its so hard to see her.

I will update this thread with any new progress, and with any interaction. I will do an official breeding report in the appropriate section when the time comes

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Behold...

avicwithsack.jpg

Looks like one flooding did the trick. This sack was not there yesterday, so she either dropped sometime last night, or through out today. Either way, i am waiting 30 days FROM TODAY.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
this thing is about the size of a golf ball at least btw...

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats. In our experiences we have only had 2 Avicularia drop within 60 days,all the rest took their sweet time.Now FORGET about it for 30-40 days and then think about pulling.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brett, i am definitely forgetting about this one haha. No worrying at all. Ive realised i have no control over these types of situations, and the more i interfere/rush, the more disappointed i get in the long run.

One question though, seeing how i dont provide my girl a waterdish, should i continue misting every 3-5 days, or what? There is no chance of me being able to place one in with her now without disturbance, as the whole jar is webbed over and cramped

---------- Post added 01-29-2013 at 12:52 PM ----------

there is tons of 1/8" or so vent holes in the enclosure, so maybe i can jimmyrig a syphon of sorts to place in through a hole and get her sub wet as needed

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would add some water to the substrate since it appears to be really dry. You'll need to keep the humidity up inside of the enclosure or else you'll be disappointed once you go to pull the eggsac and find a bunch of dried up eggs.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, the sub appears dry in the pic, but i just flooded the back half (the side without all the webbing) like 2 days ago, and its pretty moist. I didnt flood it all the way, in fear of the "potential sack" (at that point) getting wet or moldy.

I suppose i could always add more now, as there are holes about 1" above substrate level. shouldnt be to hard, or too much of a disturbance.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would add some water to the substrate since it appears to be really dry. You'll need to keep the humidity up inside of the enclosure or else you'll be disappointed once you go to pull the eggsac and find a bunch of dried up eggs.
+1,as Jason said make sure there is at least moisture in the substrate. We have had many Tap sacks produced without a waterbowl in the enclosure,we just made sure to give the substrate a good soaking and most of the time that is all that is needed.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sounds good then... its settled

I will go get some fishtank tubing and see what i cant rig up to a turkey baster. Ill MacGuyver the hell out of some house hold products.

---------- Post added 01-29-2013 at 01:55 PM ----------

No Macguyver action needed. Im a parent, so i naturally have one of these in the bathroom.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...93BCC0A99C1379C6B48F94E2DD3B6&selectedIndex=2

problem solved.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awsome stuff bro. Congrats! Really hope this one works out for you. You might wanna lock the enclosure in a safe, and tell your girl to not give you the key for 30 days :).

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no way man.. gotta learn some patience on my own i guess. YOU know why i was really stressin about that ornata sack (which im tossing btw) and now that case is resolved.
There is no pressure/rush/stressors involved in this one. I will just basically do what Brett advised and forget all about it. I got the loaner of the MM his male back safely, and it would be nice to shoot him his generous share of slings, but if this sack ends badly, there is no loss ya know?
I will just keep chugging along gaining experience with each failed attempt until i get it right

---------- Post added 01-29-2013 at 02:20 PM ----------

this is awesome!! :) hope things continue to go well
very awesome indeed. I did a double take when i saw this thing out of the corner of my eye haha. I was checking to see if my C. ritae molted, and saw something really white in the Avic enclosure.. really took me by surprise, as this wasnt here last night and wasnt expecting it for a bit longer.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah you gotta learn to just be patient with em. Its hard to make yourself think, the less you pay attention to them, the better chance they have. Really sorry about the ornata sac. Must have not been meant to be. I had a few sacs recently that were nothing but eggs and didnt go any further. One i was really looking forward to, and it was my second time trying with that female.

rasulsimakshah

Arachnosquire
hahah no loss whatsoever. i just appreciate the chance to give a loaner male and have a chance at some slings. ^_^

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks again btw.
Im glad i got the chance to repair my girl. I never saw actual insertions with Chrisduhfurs male, and not too sure if there were any while she was in his care. The two were not interested in eachother.

When i first saw your male i was really in disbelief haha. That was probably the smallest MM ive ever seen (ive owned a tiny T. cupreus mm before too) and i was a bit shocked to see the two hit it off and drum back and forth.

You going to be using him with females of yours, or you got other plans for him?

rasulsimakshah

Arachnosquire
of course!

yeah, i bought them as a breeding pair last spring and was so surprised when he matured at his size. was so glad to hear he made good insertions with your female!
saw my female drumming a bit the other night, so i might try to breed her with him once i see a sperm web. if the two don't work out, i'll probably sell him or loan him again...don't want the last bit of his life to go to waste!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hes still real good looking for a MM, so i wouldnt count him out just yet. I dont know the shelf life of a MM avic, but im assuming by him looking good and him still eating (at least in my care) he is good to go for a bit longer.

Toss him in your girls tank and see what happens. He definitely wastes no time when it comes to gettin some. If/when you pair yours keep me posted on how it goes.
I will be looking for breeding reports. Id be interested to see how long it takes for YOUR girl to drop as well. Ive looked in the breeding reports, and seen everywhere from 2 days to 2 months or so

---------- Post added 01-29-2013 at 02:45 PM ----------

Also, i cant recall witnessing your MM making sperm webs either. I DID see what i believe to be remnants of web though. Looked like thin bright white strands, and he appeared to be eating them kind of?

If he goes in, and is running away from your girl he is not loaded. If he goes in and is hesitant, give him time .. he will start vibrating around eventually

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok I admit I'm giggling at this thread. (hope that doesn't offend you. ) :)

Btw 30 days is Feb 28th.... GL with this one. Your experiences will help someone (maybe even me) in the future.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
glad i can make you laugh:biggrin:

Thanks for the luck. Im a quick learner so i wont be making the same mistakes with this attempt. Besides, everybody knows the 3rd times is a charm. This sack HAS to work out.