Acanthoscurria fracta question

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm...I think I gotta talk to someone tomorrow and see what he says about that..:D
I'm so hoping that one day I get a shot of mating my two females. These species came in every year unnoticed with sellers or some buyers not lnowing what species they are.

And I'm surprised that a wild caught female of this species that someone have purchased has not produced a sac. Man, if I can just get a hold of another male would be great.
Do you know of anyone in Germany that have this species?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm so hoping that one day I get a shot of mating my two females. These species came in every year unnoticed with sellers or some buyers not lnowing what species they are.

And I'm surprised that a wild caught female of this species that someone have purchased has not produced a sac. Man, if I can just get a hold of another male would be great.
Do you know of anyone in Germany that have this species?
Jose,

I will ask around a little in my circle over here. I'll let you know if I hear anything about them with proof.

Best
Jan

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What did you do with yours? Did you have a female of male?

Both of me females behavior acts the same way that yours did. I've seen venom drip from my younger female fangs at times, not always but sometimes.

---------- Post added 08-15-2015 at 04:33 AM ----------

I also like that display. Like always she was giving me attitude. Often when I take photos of them even though they give me threat posture I'm able to use my tweezers/ tongs to gently move her legs to spread for my photo shoot. They are not like other spiders that never sits still.
She died of apparent old age, I bought her when she was about 6". I have seen the dripping venom from these as well. She would advance toward the threat when her enclosure was opened, very pugnacious species! She was one of my favorite spiders back then.

I had to sell off all of my urticators, the hairs started to bother me to much.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just can't get enough, gotta post more photos of this girl. Just remember she is wild caught.

Acanthoscurria sp. "Para Mongo Zebra"

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Found my younger female on her back. Hope she has another good molt as I wait patiently. It's like waiting in the surgery room at the hospital and hoping everything turns out for the best.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another successful molt glad to see her get through this difficult time for her.

Acanthoscurria sp. "Para Mongo Zebra" - Wild Caught Female

This photo of the spermathecae turned out a lot better than my adult female on a previous post I posted. Better view in my opinion.

Acanthoscurria sp. "Para Mongo Zebra" Spermathecae

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats! Also, I haven't heard back from those people I wrote to. Sorry, Jose.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats! Also, I haven't heard back from those people I wrote to. Sorry, Jose.
Hi Jan, well thanks for trying. Today on Facebook I found out by Frank Somma he says that in 1996 he imported that he believes of the amount of 200 captive bred spiderlings fracta. I know that Tom (Philth) purchased a couple of those slings from Frank so as far as the story goes of the spiderlings that were available in the US is confirm, the amount of the spiderlings of this species however it appears questionable.

But if there were 200 spiderlings that were available in the US my question is I have not seen any remarks or records of people having captive born specimens for sale or posting photos of there fracta. Were did all the females go? Obviously the males are long gone.

The only time I have ever seen the fracta for sale is when someone has one as wild caught specimen. A captive born species that was brought in on a import that vanished so quickly is odd.................I asked Frank how certain is he if the parents of the spiderlings were wild caught captive bred or if it was by a wild caught female that produced captive born babies. I have not heard back from Frank about it yet.

Jan, since you're in Germany see if you can find out any info on this captive born babies that were available in the 90's. Thanks!

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
A bit more on the one's Frank imported back then. When he says 200 he maybe speaking in general terms. He brought in a ton of spiders back then, and doubt he remembers exact numbers of everything off the top of his head. Although it would be hard to believe that there's no other evidence of these coming into the U.S. you need to remember a few things. This was before we all had cameras on our cell phones, digital cameras were something new and weren't that good yet, and the whole sharing instant internet pictures, wasn't really a thing yet (at least not like it is today). I often wondered what happened to some species that I know there were hundreds brought in. I still have many rare species from back then that have seemed to vanish from the hobby. Its hard to believe that if 200 came in more people wouldn't have them, but it happens. On top of that this hobby has always had a quick turnover of people. Most of the people that were in the hobby that long ago are long gone and never heard from again. Where are all the Acanthoscurria sternalis that he imported ? Where did all the Metriopelma familiare, Hemiercus sp, Cyrtopholis flavostriata, Chilobrachys sp. "Meghalaya small" , Selenotholus sp, Acanthoscurria "atrox", go? And thats just to name a few.

Where did the hundreds of WC Crassicrus lamanai and Euathlus vulpinus that were coming in back then go ? Where did all the "Malaysian purple femurs" go that were being bred right here in the states? Oh wait bad example, we just call them Coremiocnemis hoggi now and people pay top dollar import prices to have a "new" species lol. I think you get my point ;)

Later, Tom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A bit more on the one's Frank imported back then. When he says 200 he maybe speaking in general terms. He brought in a ton of spiders back then, and doubt he remembers exact numbers of everything off the top of his head. Although it would be hard to believe that there's no other evidence of these coming into the U.S. you need to remember a few things. This was before we all had cameras on our cell phones, digital cameras were something new and weren't that good yet, and the whole sharing instant internet pictures, wasn't really a thing yet (at least not like it is today). I often wondered what happened to some species that I know there were hundreds brought in. I still have many rare species from back then that have seemed to vanish from the hobby. Its hard to believe that if 200 came in more people wouldn't have them, but it happens. On top of that this hobby has always had a quick turnover of people. Most of the people that were in the hobby that long ago are long gone and never heard from again. Where are all the Acanthoscurria sternalis that he imported ? Where did all the Metriopelma familiare, Hemiercus sp, Cyrtopholis flavostriata, Chilobrachys sp. "Meghalaya small" , Selenotholus sp, Acanthoscurria "atrox", go? And thats just to name a few.

Where did the hundreds of WC Crassicrus lamanai and Euathlus vulpinus that were coming in back then go ? Where did all the "Malaysian purple femurs" go that were being bred right here in the states? Oh wait bad example, we just call them Coremiocnemis hoggi now and people pay top dollar import prices to have a "new" species lol. I think you get my point ;)

Later, Tom
Hey Tom, I was also thinking about the Internet, cameras etc. it makes since. In addition I spoke with a member on Arachnoboards his name is Johnny Gebert, he mentioned this to me before in the past but for some reason it didn't stick in my mine. What he said is in 2004 or so Charles Black (Botar) got an import of 5 slings of the fracta and that Johnny purchased all five of them. Here is a photo of one of the babies which she is now 7" inches. Johnny says she is 11 years old. Here is a link when he writes about it http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?94895-anyone-like-Acanthoscurria-fracta

Courtesy photo of Johnny Gebert

Wether the slings were produced by a wild caught gravid female or captive bred is in question. So far from the information I've gather there has been two times that this captive born spiderlings species has been imported out of Germany.

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Botar use to get spiders from Tommy Agosta ( Botar never really imported anything himself ) , and Tommy was splitting the imports with Frank at the time, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same as mine that I had. Remember last night in a PM I mentioned I have pics dated from 2004? ( Although mine were 2-3 inches in those pics) Regardless what I'm saying is, I know Frank said he brought some in '96, but again he may just of been throwing any year out there not really remembering. I kept track of everything back then, and I have my records of when I got them, I'll dig them out tomorrow. Johnny's spider is beautiful.

Later, Tom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I get what you're saying Frank is getting old like me and forgetful. Though Johnny says the 5 he purchased from Botar was sometime in 2004 and the specimens were slings. Well I could use some males right now.

Yes Johnny's specimen is beautiful.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
The latest update I have on the Acanthoscurria fracta is, when my adult female molts I will be sending the molt to Rick West (Canada) and than Rick West will be sending the molt to Dr. Rogerio Bertani (Brazil) to do a further investigation research on this species.
Did you ever send anything to Rick West to forward onto Dr. Bertani?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you ever send anything to Rick West to forward onto Dr. Bertani?
Yes I did I sent Rick the molt of my adult female. Rick mentioned that he was disappointed that Bertani has not gotten back with him about the fracta. Rick also told me to be in contact with Lucas which I have not done yet.

I do have a wild caught deceased female in the freezer that I'm saving for a good cause if the opportunity passes by. This girl died about a week ago. I let my friend purchase this female from me a while back it hasn't been a year under his care and she parished. I told him not to keep this species too dry and he didn't listen to me. We think she parish of the lack of humidity.

Deceased female

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi Jan, well thanks for trying. Today on Facebook I found out by Frank Somma he says that in 1996 he imported that he believes of the amount of 200 captive bred spiderlings fracta. I know that Tom (Philth) purchased a couple of those slings from Frank so as far as the story goes of the spiderlings that were available in the US is confirm, the amount of the spiderlings of this species however it appears questionable.

But if there were 200 spiderlings that were available in the US my question is I have not seen any remarks or records of people having captive born specimens for sale or posting photos of there fracta. Were did all the females go? Obviously the males are long gone.

The only time I have ever seen the fracta for sale is when someone has one as wild caught specimen. A captive born species that was brought in on a import that vanished so quickly is odd.................I asked Frank how certain is he if the parents of the spiderlings were wild caught captive bred or if it was by a wild caught female that produced captive born babies. I have not heard back from Frank about it yet.

Jan, since you're in Germany see if you can find out any info on this captive born babies that were available in the 90's. Thanks!
I'll see what I can dig up, Jose.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My younger female two weeks ago after her molt. Little by little she's getting some size and looking better each molt and angrier.

Acanthoscurria sp. "Para Mongo Zebra" - Female

Acanthoscurria sp. "Para Mongo Zebra" - Female

Acanthoscurria sp. "Para Mongo Zebra" - Female Threat Display

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Once again this thread has risen from the ashes from my first immature male/mature male. This new immature male was shipped yesterday received earlier today and a very angry male he is. Attacked the ruler constantly with no hesitation. I'm excited to get another opportunity to mate/breed this species once again. I will be patient and hopeful.

Acanthoscurria sp. "Para Mongo Zebra" -Wild Caught Immature Male

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Those are gorgeous specimens, I love the underlying redish/peach color. Fingers crossed for their future breeding, ID love to have one!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yesterday evening I gave the male a water dish to make sure he was hydrated. By night time I gave the male a fairly good size of a meal. The male ate an earthworm and seem to enjoy every bit of it.
So I just got home to pick up a little of a mess that the male made and put another fresh water dish, this was the males reaction to my invasion of his space.
I must say this was perfect for me to get a closer and better look of central sex. Not a happy boy! This male has some anger issues that needs to resolve.