Acanthoscurria fracta question

Cesar9005

Arachnopeon
Please help me with all the info that is available about nutrition, habitat, container, etc.

Can they live together? Are they females? males?

Thanks in advance!!

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He
Yeah I will post them right now! Thank you for getting back to me!! :)

I want to apologize with everyone if maybe where I have them is not the right place for them but I hope you understand that they were given to me as a present and I'm asking for help because I want to give them the best life I can offer to them. They are just so cute!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kind regards,

Cesar
Hello! You have a couple of problems. The specimen on the first two photos is Lasiodorides striatus. The specimen on the last two photos if she’s female wait until she molts post photo of the spermathecae. The reason why is because there is a possibility the it’s Lasiodorides striatum as well.

Either way I’ve kept Lasiodorides striatus dry unless I had babies than I keep them with humidity. Definitely keep them separated not communial. Lasiodorides striatus are slow growers. Feed crickets and whatever else she or he may like. Cockroaches are good too.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please help me with all the info that is available about nutrition, habitat, container, etc.

Can they live together? Are they females? males?

Thanks in advance!!
You gotta wait until they molt to figure out gender. Save the molts and post photos of them.

Cesar9005

Arachnopeon
You gotta wait until they molt to figure out gender. Save the molts and post photos of them.
Thank you very much for your help!!

I have searched photos and definetely are them! :) . I was reading though, that they come from subtropical areas of my country, Peru, so the humidity is around 70%-80%, so should I keep some humidity? Or just dry habitat?

Please let me know what you think,

Kind regards,

Cesar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you very much for your help!!

I have searched photos and definetely are them! :) . I was reading though, that they come from subtropical areas of my country, Peru, so the humidity is around 70%-80%, so should I keep some humidity? Or just dry habitat?

Please let me know what you think,

Kind regards,

Cesar
I kept mine dry. How did you acquire them? I ask since you live in Peru that maybe they were wild collected from there.

Cesar9005

Arachnopeon
I kept mine dry. How did you acquire them? I ask since you live in Peru that maybe they were wild collected from there.
A friend of mine bought them from a seller. Thought they would make a good present for me hehe. They were indeed! they captivated me since I first saw them! I think they were collected from the wild.

Just one more question, can I touch them with my hands? Or its not recommendable?

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I will post them right now! Thank you for getting back to me!! :)

I want to apologize with everyone if maybe where I have them is not the right place for them but I hope you understand that they were given to me as a present and I'm asking for help because I want to give them the best life I can offer to them. They are just so cute!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kind regards,

Cesar
Look different, but a molt confirming the spermetheca would certainly aid. Also, would agree to get them in a proper enclosure asap....I am sure Berrios will have much to say

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A friend of mine bought them from a seller. Thought they would make a good present for me hehe. They were indeed! they captivated me since I first saw them! I think they were collected from the wild.

Just one more question, can I touch them with my hands? Or its not recommendable?
If you’re not familiar with tarantulas I would do some heavy research on how to care for them. Personally I don’t hold my tarantula unless I have to. Is best to leave them be. Tarantulas are not meant to be touched or to be handle.
Lasiodorides striatus is a nice gift to have. I love that genus and species.

Cesar9005

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys!! I will rush tomorrow to get two glass tanks. What dimensions would ideal for each of them? Should I include plants? maybe a dried branch for them to climb?

Thanks once again!!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Definitely Lasiodorides striatus. That would makes sense from Peru as well.

Later, Tom

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you!!

Any ideas for a proper enclosure?? Dimensions?

Kind regards
As far as enclosures go there are going to be many opinions. I have no idea what you have access to, but you mention glass tanks. They appear to be large tarantuals and I like to keep my larger tarantulas in 10 gallon tanks. You do not house them together so that would be 2 seperate tanks and deep substrate (no idea what you can find such as ecco earth) with a water dish.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Cesar9005

Arachnopeon
As far as enclosures go there are going to be many opinions. I have no idea what you have access to, but you mention glass tanks. They appear to be large tarantuals and I like to keep my larger tarantulas in 10 gallon tanks. You do not house them together so that would be 2 seperate tanks and deep substrate (no idea what you can find such as ecco earth) with a water dish.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Thank you very much for your reply Joe!!

I think I could us some coconut shell and maybe some spagnhum moss?? I grow Phalaenopsis orchids so I think that would also make a great substrates for my tarantulas.

Thank you once again to everyone who’s helped me with your quick replies!!

Thank you thank you thank you ;)

Cesar

sasker

Arachnoprince
Please also check out this:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/quick-reference-guide-to-answer-common-questions.145454/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/beginner-info-read-before-posting.153508/

Having to buy all the stuff for keeping tarantulas may feel a bit overwhelming, but it is best to be a little prepared before braving the pet shop (or else they will do the thinking for you and you will end up with all kinds of unnecessary equipment ;))

Just a short list of what you need:
  • An enclosure;
  • substrate (I suggest coco fiber);
  • a water bowl;
  • A hide (I suggest a large piece of curved cork bark)
  • (optional, but necessary in the long term) large tweezers/forceps to do maintenance in your tank.
What you don't need:
  • Heating;
  • lamps;
  • hygrometers/thermometers;
  • a sponge for in your water bowl (tarantulas won't drown that easily).
I hope this helps! :)

Cesar9005

Arachnopeon
Please also check out this:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/quick-reference-guide-to-answer-common-questions.145454/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/beginner-info-read-before-posting.153508/

Having to buy all the stuff for keeping tarantulas may feel a bit overwhelming, but it is best to be a little prepared before braving the pet shop (or else they will do the thinking for you and you will end up with all kinds of unnecessary equipment ;))

Just a short list of what you need:
  • An enclosure;
  • substrate (I suggest coco fiber);
  • a water bowl;
  • A hide (I suggest a large piece of curved cork bark)
  • (optional, but necessary in the long term) large tweezers/forceps to do maintenance in your tank.
What you don't need:
  • Heating;
  • lamps;
  • hygrometers/thermometers;
  • a sponge for in your water bowl (tarantulas won't drown that easily).
I hope this helps! :)

It helps me a lot!!! I will post some pictures of the containers I've got with all the items that you have mentioned :)

Thank you once again!

Regards,

Cesar

Cesar9005

Arachnopeon
There she is!!! :D

I’m very concerned though, since it’s been 3 weeks that she has not eaten at all...

What can be wrong?

Attachments

sasker

Arachnoprince
Well, the needs a little work. I see you have moss as substrate and only like 1 cm. Does your tarantula remain on the hide the whole time? That is probably because she does not like to walk on the moss. You need to fill it up for about 3/4 of the enclosure with substrate, leaving room between the top and the surface of only about 1.5 x the leg span of your tarantula or your tarantula will injure herself if she falls from too high a distance. And please use something like coco peat or even garden soil (without additives like fertilizer!!). Pack everything down tightly, because tarantulas dislike walking on loose substrate. You can bury the hide almost completely and scoop out some of the substrate so she has a nice snug retreat to hide in. I hope you just left the lid off for the picture. If you don't have a lid, make one! Tarantulas can/will climb and without a cover she will escape. And you don't have the terrarium on a heat mat, right? If you do, switch it off immediately!

As for the reason why she is not eating, this could be for various reasons. Perhaps she is going to molt, perhaps she is not hungry because it is too cold in the room. It could also be a matter of settling in (which will be more difficult if she does not feel at ease in the setup of the terrarium). I hope this helps.

Edit: also give her a water bowl!