C. cyaneopubescens display tank ideas

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool, I may have to incorporate some of that into my design, thanks for the tutorial :D.

...I found my brother's camera, so here's what it looks like so far:

It needs a waterdish, gonna pick one up later. What do you guys think?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really nice!! It looks lively!!! Wow I really need to add life to my tank! I'll probably drill holes into the branches to add plant life, like if its growing. I really like your choices in plants!

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks! It still doesn't look deserty enough for me, but the grasses help. I found them all at a dollar store, by the way.

If you want your branches to look like roots, it might work really well if you had plants growing up in between them, as opposed to drilling holes in them and having the plants stick out from on top of them.

We should keep this thread alive after the tanks are done and spiders have been added and see how they look once they're all webbed up :D. Personally I'm now looking for a large chunk of driftwood/rock so I can add a bridge similar to your tank.

exoslimjim

Arachnopeon
how long will those plants live for? would I be better off with just moss if i can't keep changing them?

Man, Looks good enuf for me to liv in!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how long will those plants live for? would I be better off with just moss if i can't keep changing them?
The GBB need a very dry environment. I don't think you can have any live plant in the tank long enough to survive. The GBB will end up webbing everything anyway so any plants will end up be covered completely. Plastic is the way to go for these setups.:)

Finished!!!

Well the moment has arrived!!! I finally am finished to my liking. I added more wood parts and Flat moss to add life to the enclosure. The Moss will be left to dry out again. I may lightly sprits it once in a while so that it can remain green. I added Peat and a dish as well. For the top, what I did was remove the screen and cut an acrylic sheet to fit. It was cut at 10 1/4" x 10 5/8 and siliconed to the bottom of the top. From the top it looks great. I drilled alot of holes for total ventillation. "Well here it is..

Close full View. Notice I added a small curved branch (Following the curves of my wall design) to make the wall higher to hide it more under other branch. (I'm referring to the hide I created on the left wall. This small curved brach goes all the way into the ground behind water dish to appear like it grew like that.

Top view. You can see how high the wall (with the curved branch) of the left side wall hide is.

Bridge view and hiding area behind Branch

And Finally the Cave view. I added steps with wood to make cave appear deep for the GBB. I also added moss inside the cave. Only one wall.

I know it will most likely web up everything. I am really happy how it came out. I'm sure it will make an interesting web design and it will surely be happy here for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great enclosures guys! I thought I'd add my GBBs setup. I rehoused her today, so hopefully it'll have alot of webbing in the morning :)

I like to keep things simple, yet natural.

and here's my beautiful girl..

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, both yours put mine to shame, hehe
tbh iv always thought people could do better than mine easily adn you have!
They do and will look stunning with the webbing added

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice looking tanks guys ! Please keep us posted on what the tanks look like in a week or two after your GBB's have had a chance to web tham up.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice looking tanks guys ! Please keep us posted on what the tanks look like in a week or two after your GBB's have had a chance to web tham up.
Give em a few months to get the best effect though:)

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well My GBB molted to a decent size to put into the new tank setup. (Close to 2" mark) I put him in (I sexed it although not a great molt to sex, looked like a male) and right away he went exploring. Amazing how it just walked everywhere, upside down all around. Finally after 2 hours of exploring settled on the Moss wall on the left side of the setup. Next morning looked in the setup and damn, he didn't waste any time. Already started to web up.

Right now as I'm writing this its at it again. Started at 9pm. I guess he LOVES his new free home!!! :clap: {D

(compared to its tupperware container it was in before)

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've noticed a photo of a GBB had a prickly pear cactus in it(but not one of the ones with spines). If you could find one of the spineless Opuntia perhaps a pad or two stuck in some sand would be a cool decoration.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I just read all the posts and I've got to say, great enclosures guys.. Especially Talons. My GBB is still a sling, so I'll get started ASAP on one of these nice cage designs!

Thanks for the inspiration :)

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Here's my girls cage, not as nice as the others but she really likes it. It has alot of web in it now, this was the day I put her in.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I just read all the posts and I've got to say, great enclosures guys.. Especially Talons. My GBB is still a sling, so I'll get started ASAP on one of these nice cage designs!

Thanks for the inspiration :)
Thanks for the compliment. Heres my newest update on the webs. He is working a little bit each day. It looks like hes making a tunnel. Its round on the inside. Its amazing how he does it. I'm so happy I bought this one. He's the main attraction compared to my other almost pet rocks.
You could really see the difference comparing the two pics of the webs. Hes really working that butt...Literally!

Turned out to be a Female. I tore down her thick web tunnel to get to the Molt. She did not web up the entire tank as I thought she would. Just the area in the above photo. It was really thick though. I had to clear up the dead crickets she collected in the web. She would just put another layer of webs to cover the remains.
The very next day she went to the same spot and webbed it again.
This is her right now at 3"

Her Tunnel that she is construction. She is eating in the background.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thats interesting! I had moved mine into a much bigger enclosure and found that it took months for it to do any real webbing. It just seemed content to wander around and only webbed in a small area. Kind of like yours.

jukahman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Seeing your sset ups make me want a GBB so bad...hope i can find one here...:(

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm in love!

Yeah Mine just wanders around every once in a while. She walks really slow and calm. Graceful! She sometimes goes into the cave and hangs out, like my previous picture. I have caught her drinking water as well. During the day she encloses herself, making kind of a door. Than sometime at night she rips the door open and stays at the entrance. She definately takes advantage of the entire enclosure. But she won't web any other part but there. I have ripped down her webs tunnel and the next day it was back up. the only difference is that its now a larger diameter tunnel and she is no longer claustiphobic. Truly a display tarantula! I can't help but take pictures every once in a while.
This was this morning

Last edited:

bareass

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
any pictures of the natural habitat? i've read in a lot of care sheets shrublands and sand dunes of northern venezuela. i would love to see some pictures of them in the wild