Considering orange headed roaches ??

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
It happens. I lose about 1 or 2 a month now, since I have thousands. I finally got my red runners producing pinheads again, turns out they need more moisture than dubias.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It happens. I lose about 1 or 2 a month now, since I have thousands. I finally got my red runners producing pinheads again, turns out they need more moisture than dubias.
Yeah, I lose maybe five Dubias a month or so. Now , I had another. Orange head roach die and it must not have been very old. It looks smaller. must’ve been freshly adult. I’ve been feeding them pretty well. so it couldn’t had been from dehydration.
The bigger roaches for size comparison reasons. I actually found a second dead one that size.
IMG_5315.jpeg IMG_5314.jpeg

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You feeding enough protein for this species?
Yes I regularly feed them ground up dog and cat chow and occasionally small pieces of meat like chicken. I don’t understand why a few of them matured. At such a small size. Are they not eating? It looks like they eat it.
I gave them water crystals. They haven’t touched them yet.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I’ve lost three oranges this week two of them just became adult. And a small size one in-star early
IMG_6102.jpeg IMG_6101.jpeg

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Maybe too many males and they're picking on nymphs too, wing-biting is usually males fighting

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Maybe too many males and they're picking on nymphs too, wing-biting is usually males fighting
I was pretty low on males less than 10 so it must be a rogue one , I’ll have to count how many I have now.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Think they're just old? Seems like you've had these for a bit now, maybe it's the first ones? Otherwise maybe hydration or something if it's really dry, dunno.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
they just matured, I’ll try daily misting . I could not hunt down the bigger males to do-an count they all scatter.
Ugh. Too hot? Really don't know, just throwing it out. It's been warm lately my room was too cold for weeks and all of a sudden 84 today, reminds me I should turn down my roaches. Spiders are happy.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ugh. Too hot? Really don't know, just throwing it out. It's been warm lately my room was too cold for weeks and all of a sudden 84 today, reminds me I should turn down my roaches. Spiders are happy.
I don’t know why they’re dying bigger males are killing them dehydration or mystery cause.. maybe genetics because other ones that size are doing fine.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Do you have enough surface area for them to climb away from each other? Perhaps overcrowding and male aggression is leading to premature death.

I noticed tattered wings in some of my dubia males, when I put more egg crate in it stopped.

Just an idea.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Do you have enough surface area for them to climb away from each other? Perhaps overcrowding and male aggression is leading to premature death.

I noticed tattered wings in some of my dubia males, when I put more egg crate in it stopped.

Just an idea.
I added 3 egg crates . Found one that was partially eaten post molt…
Same as a female I spotted months ago.
IMG_6214.jpeg IMG_6213.jpeg IMG_6212.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I think if they're trying to eat each other you need to feed more protein.
Should I try dog instead of cat food? They must not be eating it all out of food dish, sour cream lid.
I gotta sprinkle it on the floor of the cage.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
or chicken feed. Sometimes even fish food if you really want to boost protein, but just a kernel or 2 mixed in with other lower protein stuff.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This is most of the nymphs in the frass. Found one dead adult and 3 baby’s that didn’t make it . And one I fed off because a few broken legs it couldn’t walk. IMG_6660.jpeg IMG_6659.jpeg