Considering orange headed roaches ??

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Half size or a little less than half.
That’s not too small , I’ll have to try them someday . I mean it’s bigger than crickets.. i should got those instead of oranges I just wanted a bigger roach .
I added a wet paper towel for humidity I’ll replace and toss it when needed. I may need to put them on substrate .
Orange 🍊 are like hissers so slow breeding /growing.. more of a pet species if anything.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Half size or a little less than half.
Why is only one female breeding I got temps at 90 ?? And I got humidity up plenty ??does it take another month for an adult female to get mature or 2 months for babies ? Really kicking myself for not buying red runners when they were cheaper now prices shot up .
Failed experiment so far basically pet roaches .

IMG_4153.jpeg IMG_4152.jpeg

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Maybe you're disturbing them too much?

Honestly I don't know I haven't kept orange roaches but I got dubias and red runners

Testing out a new roach chow mix, they go crazy for it, swarmed it and ate it all in a couple hours.
20230823_113014.jpg

Baby dubia climbing all over the place
20230823_113853.jpg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Honestly I don't know I haven't kept orange roaches but I got dubias and red runners

Testing out a new roach chow mix, they go crazy for it, swarmed it and ate it all in a couple hours.
View attachment 453593

View attachment 453592
I do fine keeping Dubias just orange roaches I can’t get steadily breeding even with higher temps than my dubia . O well if they die off I’ll split my Dubias and give them the orange roach bin ..
I guess not enough people even keep orange roaches to get advice from ..??? The other guy I knew who had some his colony also failed ..

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

View attachment 453593

View attachment 453592
I think your correct patience is everything. I was just writing them off as a failure and I got a hundred of babies now .100+ or so .

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Nice! All your changes paid off.

Both my roach colonies are exploding too. I got too many adults and not enough T's to feed...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Both my roach colonies are exploding too. I got too many adults and not enough T's to feed...
yeah I got way more roaches then Ts to feed also . But that’s good until you are swamped…I still can’t feed off females . Once my Ts start eating again i will be fine .
I lowered my Dubias to 87 with the thrmostat placed on the outside of the heat Matt because they kept knocking it off . Is it worth placing it back on the inside of the heat Matt ? It would require duct tape ? The plastic probably absorbs 1-3 degrees? So it’s probably 84

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I misted the roaches both my colony’s. I’ll give them fresh veggies later tonight .
I take it this plastic bin lid negates any fire risk of the under tank heat mat? If not I can build a proper riser. IMG_4227.jpeg IMG_4226.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Video update having tons of babies now huge success from what I thought was failure. soon I’ll have 300+ nymphs .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Nice work, that's gross to look at.
Yeah I guess I’m so used to Dubias that orange looks like a display species , unfortunately they are very reclusive and hate light or id put them in a 10 gallon fish tank . Does the quarts on a bin just include the container or also the lid ? I got a next size up Bin for when my oranges outgrow their tank.
old bin pic 4 vs new one next size up 72qt. Think it needs more ventilation?? IMG_4382.jpeg IMG_4383.jpeg IMG_4381.jpeg IMG_4386.jpeg
Could be 4-8 months til I need to upgrade cages. So I can get ventilation dialed in by then and use it for bin cleaning to hold Dubias/oranges .

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Nice work, that's gross to look at.
Yeah I guess I’m so used to Dubias that orange looks like a display species , unfortunately they are very reclusive and hate light or id put them in a 10 gallon fish tank . Does the quarts on a bin just include the container or also the lid ? I got a next size up Bin for when my oranges outgrow their tank.
old bin pic 4 vs new one next size up 72qt. Think it needs more ventilation?? View attachment 454608 View attachment 454609 View attachment 454610 View attachment 454611

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Get some emerald roaches
Haha way out of my budget!!! Spectacular looking roaches.
I had fruit flies bothering my dubia but I kept the orange roaches in the basement. I’m trying to keep track of how long these oranges take to get from 3/16th of an inch to 2” adult size. This thread will help.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

View attachment 453593

View attachment 453592
Impressive dubia collection how many in total do you have??
Fruit Flies don’t seem to bother my orange head roaches. Possibly fungus gnats.. bothering my 2 crickets I caught outside.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Nah not even. I just keep them as best as I can and stay on top of maintenance.

I probably have ~200 or so nymphs in that tub growing out before I transfer them to the main colony which is like ~50 adults and ~100 older nymphs. IDK, I don't really sit there and count them. All I know is I have so many dubias I don't know what to do with them. Euthanizing them feels like a waste.

I only have ~30 T's and most of them are slings...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Nah not even. I just keep them as best as I can and stay on top of maintenance.

I probably have ~200 or so nymphs in that tub growing out before I transfer them to the main colony which is like ~50 adults and ~100 older nymphs. IDK, I don't really sit there and count them. All I know is I have so many dubias I don't know what to do with them. Euthanizing them feels like a waste.

I only have ~30 T's and most of them are slings...
You can seperate the nymphs in another bin or turn down your heatmat. I cannot even feed off females yet or my Ts will eat my colony faster then it grows. I only Euthanizing some when I had that phorid fly invasion they were laying eggs in my dubias. Most my 15 Ts are sub adults so they eat roaches like potato chips.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I could turn down the heatmat but the room they're in stays 77°F all night so its not gonna slow them down by much.

I think I might actually kick up production if I can find someone local to take them off my hands or trade them for stuff.

I started with leftovers from a dubia feeder cup, now I'm producing more than I can feed off, and I can tell in a few months the growth will hit exponential and I'll be drowning in thousands of dubias.

Most my 15 Ts are sub adults so they eat roaches like potato chips.
You have bigger species than I do I think. The biggest species I have is the Xenesthis.

I have juvie Ornithoctoninae, OBT, and Xenesthis and none of them can eat a full grown dubia yet. 😅

Been feeding nymphs and giving the males to the local pet store turtles but the number of my producing females keeps growing.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I could turn down the heatmat but the room they're in stays 77°F all night so its not gonna slow them down by much.

I think I might actually kick up production if I can find someone local to take them off my hands or trade them for stuff.

I started with leftovers from a dubia feeder cup, now I'm producing more than I can feed off, and I can tell in a few months the growth will hit exponential and I'll be drowning in thousands of dubias.

You have bigger species than I do I think. The biggest species I have is the Xenesthis.

I have juvie Ornithoctoninae, OBT, and Xenesthis and none of them can eat a full grown dubia yet. 😅

Been feeding nymphs and giving the males to the local pet store turtles but the number of my producing females keeps growing.
Xenesthis get close to same size as lp. I got mostly Lasiodora none are full grown. My klugi is hard to fatten up I may need to feed it more. I’ll probably get More once I can find a job. My average spider is 5” .