dyskinetic syndrome

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
Hmmm very similar to what happened to some of my Ts when I had "The Masscare" in my room. They died soon after I saw this behavior.
:confused: The Massacre?

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
Hmmm very similar to what happened to some of my Ts when I had "The Masscare" in my room. They died soon after I saw this behavior.

Did you ever send any of them off to RIESM?

Dephiax

Arachnopeon
Martin H. said:
Hi,

in this thread >>click here<< someone posted this nasty video >>click here<< (4 MB) of an A. geniculata male with big problems. According to the owner of the male, the video is not played faster – the male IS shaking and struggling that quick and hectical!

all the best,
Martin
Although i don't know what it could be (though i got some ideas, posted earlier) it just hurts to see the T strugling like that, it just breaks my heart. I think it must be something that attacks the centre nervous system.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MizM said:
:confused: The Massacre?
When about 30 of my Ts died mysteriously. :( I lost my blue fangs, M. peterklaasi female, and P. subfusca to name a few. I did send one off the REISM. Results are still pending on him.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
as i know some fungal,viro,parasites infection may change behavior of animal (unvertebrata especialy) to make easy diner for second vector ..

That film(Ithink) shows something simular and
as I remember good in raports of such behavior all t's leaves their hides ,

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In an earlier post, I mentioned my losses and some Tarantulas that showed "symptoms." My A. bicoloratum seems fine as do my A. geniculata and A. brocklehursti. I did lose a Bonnetina rudlofi about three weeks ago, and it made the A. geniculata in the video look slow. I died within a week of onset of symptoms. I still blame molds.

bodisky

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Cory!
To my knowledge it is still unknown as to what it is or what causes it. It could be one disease with many faces or it could be many different diseases. No one knows for sure.
In the few cases that I have dissected I have only seen some odd nerve cell damage but only in one case.
Not much else I can say.
Kerry
RIESM

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it possible that Ts can get it from infected roaches? I think it because roaches are very resistent, so they can be a carrier of many infections without any visible signs.
Any guess?

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Martin!

Martin H. said:
Hi,
BTW, some years ago a virus turned up who killed almost all subadult crickets (Acheta domesticus), they die before getting adults. The breeding of Acheta domesticus in Europe broke down almost completely. Instead of Acheta domesticus they are now breeding Gryllodes sigillatus. They still try to breed Acheta domesticus as "backbone", from time to time some are available, the "quality" is low, and from one day to the other the breeders can't offer them anymore because the breeding broke down again.
They examined the crickets and found a "Densonucleose"-virus which allegedly caused the problemes.
To my knowledge, last year a very big mealworm breeder in holland had similar problems with his mealwroms, they died before getting adult during the pupae stage.
all the best,
Martin
We have the same problem here in Russia but the "virus" called "NOSEMATOS" and it kills crickets before imago stage. The illness is progressing when humidity rise up, but slow down then humodoty reduced.
Many here feed such crickets to reptiles and tarantulas but no any calimes for deaths of them.
Thanks for info!

Also here in Russia no any case of nemathodes reported from any hobbiest.

Thanks for info Martin!

bodisky

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
bengerno said:
Is it possible that Ts can get it from infected roaches? I think it because roaches are very resistent, so they can be a carrier of many infections without any visible signs.
Any guess?

No, sorry. That is really not my field. I am just a dissection jockey so to speak. I dissect many many many tarantulas. My findings are documented and then if needed passed on to other labs.
Kerry
RIESM

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Being discussing this topis there is also another thing I'm wonder - due to a "external" way of feeding by sucking the liquid substance of objects does it possible for any "harms" infected the tarantula?
I can explain that synthetic elements of pesthicides does not splits by the t' poison and digestive secret but as for the virus, bacterial, fungi etc - I'm not so sure...

Is it in general the possibility of such infection? Specifiing - does tarantula can be infected by the feed object (roach, crickets, etc...)?
Or does it just feeding only being catalyst for any other not studyed yet process?

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is very bizzare and alarming in all of our cases I'd imagine. I recently had a similar experience. Three inch long spiderlings 2 P. regalis and one H. shmidti were feeding well and keeping hydrated but not overly so. They all had been seizuring violently and the H. shmidti was visibly salivating on closer inspection. I quickly seperated the spiders from the rest of my collection unfortunately the suffering spiderlings did not survive.
This is odd because one night they were feeding and acting like spiderlings should, the next day this set in. Where does everybody get their crickets from? I know my batch came from Timberline I may soon revaluate that descision.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
M.F.Bagaturov said:
Being discussing this topis there is also another thing I'm wonder - due to a "external" way of feeding by sucking the liquid substance of objects does it possible for any "harms" infected the tarantula?
I can explain that synthetic elements of pesthicides does not splits by the t' poison and digestive secret but as for the virus, bacterial, fungi etc - I'm not so sure...

Is it in general the possibility of such infection? Specifiing - does tarantula can be infected by the feed object (roach, crickets, etc...)?
Or does it just feeding only being catalyst for any other not studyed yet process?

I think it is possible becouse lot of bacteria and virus are immune too ours immunity system , tarantulas ( as all inverts ) have external barrier - immune system as a primary and most important . after infection they are allmost defenceless . if such viro or bacteria will get into spider he will probobly die ( if intruder attack it )

You are saying about digesting them , but they can get into spider not only by the mouth but by the ookloungs as well , and the ill crix may be the vector ,,,, who knows ??

best regards

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have there been any updates since?

Last edited:

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I dont know but apparently my 4" A. avicularia has it and so does my smallest B. smithi. =( If anyone has any update info I would REALLY appreciate it!

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
http://video.google.pl/videoplay?docid=-6407574570189818122

it is not my movie but one of those that someone put in this post ,,, I downloaded it and now when original file is not available I decided to put it 1 again ,,,

if author of that file dont wont me tu use it for this I will delete it ....
That is the most disturbing video I have ever seen. :eek: That is SO VERY sad. That poor spider. Very scary stuff.....thanks for posting the link.

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I must share my L klugi's story with you all. I got 3 T's from a guy, all of which seemed very energetic to me when I got them. However I soon realised that they weren't energetic, they all had Dyskinetic syndrome. 2 of them died pretty soon and my L klugi was on the brink. He couldn't catch anything to eat, was dancing around on hot coals all the time. He def. had the syndrome 100%. I persisted in force feeding him with a long tweezers (would stick the crickets in his frantic fangs), and kept him with a big bowl of liquid gel that they sell in the petshops. I often used to manouvere him over the gel to make sure he would hydrate. This went on for about 6 months when to my surprise he moulted. He still had the syndrome, but it seemed ever so slightly better. I continuede with the same process and he moulted again 6 months later! Yet again there was improvement and he started catching his own crickets (albeit rather hit & miss). He recently matured (male) and he is about 20cm legspan now. The symptoms have all but vanished and he seems perfect!
Interesting don't you all think?