dyskinetic syndrome

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
WOW, nice pic!

My pinktoe was the one with these problems....actually 2 of my older (10+ years) pinktoes....they were not from the same breeder though, which is why it stumps me.

That is what it looked like with mine, but yours seems more active...mine was right at the brink of death when she developed the white goo....I tried to remove it (with tweezers), and it would keep coming back.

Also, both spiders had a funny ammonia smell on them, when I seen the goo. It was a strange, but strong smell. I could smell it when I opened the tank.

Mine lasted about 2 weeks...then slowly curled.

You could try ISO, but, if she is still moving around, being normal....I wouldn't worry just yet....it looks like she doesn't want a pic taken in that post you made! Active and mean are good signs right now. Just keep a large water bowl in there for her, and keep an eye on her daily to monitor her changes.

Good luck to you :)

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think we're looking at a 50/50 scenario. 50% are misdiagnosis and parinoid reactions to some easily explained situation. And 50% are probably several different problems. Possibly ranging from poisoning, virus, bacteria, may even be just physical problems that could be likened to a bad heart valve in a human. Without people consistently having necropsy done (side note: don't freeze specimens that are going to have necropsy performed. It will damage the specimen and hinder the results) and a study there is really no way to know for sure. I had two c. fasciatum juvies curl up and die on me receintly like they were winding down and getting slower. Well fed and not dehydrated. Also I have a N. chromatus sling thats seems to be exhibiting similar behavior to other peoples problem, however I stronly believe that it is some sort of physical deformity (in mine) causing a problem with the fluid pressure in the exoskeleton which is causing jittery movement and curled legs when in a resting possition. I've had my n. chromatus since it was 1/4" and now it has molted a couple of times and is 1/2" or better. It eats and looks otherwise healthy. The only symptom is the seizure like movement when it walks and holding its legs funny when still. I really hope someone with the proper knowledge and equipment is working on the issue.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Interesting observation. I only have about 25 Ts left in the collection. They are all dying. 11 of them are exhibiting DKS behavior. All 11 are adult female terrestrials. Why so many? I believe that it it the phorid flies. I live near Austin, TX. The state of Texas has been using phorids to eradicate the fire ant. I have had fire ants every year for the past 3 years that I have lived here..... except this year. Not one fire and mound to be found, and suddenly my Ts are dying off at an alarming rate. Have not seen anything like this in 21 years of keeping. Nothing is affecting any of the scorpions.

Thoughts?

Just noted that I have been on AB for 9 years!!! WHERE has the time gone?!?!? :D

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It went out the window!

Hae you been able to find any phorid flies in the effected T's enclosures? I know up here we have been using nematodes for termite control, And I actualy found a nasty little infestion in one of my carpenter ant colonies because of it; Perhaps if the flies are responsible for the spread you could trap one or two and send them off for study?