dyskinetic syndrome

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's an awsome story.
It's always good to hear success stories.
If you breed him, I wonder if it will have any effect on the slings.
Keep us updated.

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm sending him to a friend who has a mature female & will keep you posted on the results :D

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Amazing story! It's like it started to recover naturally! I love hearing success stories. It's always so awesome to watch such an amazing animal like that recover! Thanks for sharing...

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Has anybody else heard of a T surving the syndrome?
I've heard many stories, I question the authenticity of the theraphosids actually suffering from said 'disease' however. I believe them to be simple cases of de-hydration gone paranoid.

-Sean

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard many stories, I question the authenticity of the theraphosids actually suffering from said 'disease' however. I believe them to be simple cases of de-hydration gone paranoid.

-Sean
I'm pretty sure mine had the actual disease. Both of my tarantulas that were suffering from the symptoms of DS had clean, full water dishes and they seemed otherwise perfectly healthy :confused: I wish there could have been some way I could have helped them.

-Sarah

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

-Sean
You've obviously never had a T with the disease! You cannot mistake it or miss it!

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
You've obviously never had a T with the disease! You cannot mistake it or miss it!
lol.. think what you will. My belief remains the same. Other problems have been misdiagnosed as this many times.

-Sean

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

-Sean
I just don't quite get your de-hydration gone paranoid theory though. The 3 T's that I had with the disease came to me with a light case of it. They never lacked water at any stage and got worse very quickly with 2 of them dying. The one that did survive took over a year to recover. How does that tie-in with de-hydration?

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just don't quite get your de-hydration gone paranoid theory though. The 3 T's that I had with the disease came to me with a light case of it. They never lacked water at any stage and got worse very quickly with 2 of them dying. The one that did survive took over a year to recover. How does that tie-in with de-hydration?
I think maybe what he meant was, some people whose tarantulas are exhibiting so-called "symptoms" of dyskinetic syndrome are actually dehydrated.

-Sarah

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Meant no offense to you or your story. In South Africa you may have a smaller hobby ring with more devoted hobbyists then here in America. We've got LOTS of them, many are inexperienced, and I've had many tell me 'Mine had that, but it got over it' stories, that's when I find it hard to believe.

-Sean

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, my mature female G. rosea now has this so called dyskinetic syndrom. She's able to move around but it looks like she's walking on a hot bed of coals. She molted into this situation about a month ago. She can't eat or drink on her own so once a week, I put her on the edge of a shallow water dish to drink. She usually jumps right out and I leave her so I don't stress her out too much. As far as eating goes, it gets a bit tricky but I've resorted to picking her up to physically put a cricket in her fangs. It's a little dangerous, I know, but once she has the cricket, she relaxes and I delicately put her down onto the substrate. From there, she takes over and finishes her meal. She has not had any problems eating yet so I think this is a good sign. Once or twice a week of this until the next molt and maybe she'll grow out of it. I hope anyway. I'll keep this updated as things progress. Wish me luck.

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good luck! Try and get some of those water gel crystals....

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

-Sean
I can vouch for Taki's spider... I've seen dyskinetic syndrome several times, both here in SA and in the USA :), this T of his definitely had it and is doing well.

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Matt . You haven't seen him since he matured, you would never know he had it. Seems completely normal again {D

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Hi everyone! I have recently noticed something that might be DS on one of my tarantulas and now I'm very worried. I have a Nhandu coloratovillosus female (she is about 5 years old), and she hasn't eaten in about 2,5-3 months. I offered her a cricket on the 19th of May, and the cricket was missing on the evening of the 20th (Tuesday). She was standing facing the front side of the vivarium, and I noticed something strange I never saw before. Her chelicarae were wide open (but no cricket between them) and there was a white spot-like goo in her mouth, also about 4-5 drops of that goo on the ground under her (and it was not cricket parts, or cricket guts). I think someone described similar symptoms earlier in the topic.

Another thing I noticed that while the above described position: her right pedipalp was shaking or rather twitching (I can't really find the proper English word for it, sorry - not my native language), not too much, but it wasn't normal at all.

Other than this, I haven't noticed other things out of the normal so far. She is reacting normally to being touched with a brush, moves and climbs normally, no legs curved under the body; no seizures so far thank god.

I'm guessing if she has DS it might be in a mild state?

The cricket she had was from my local pet store where I always get them, and haven't had any probs with them so far.

I'm looking from advice what should I do. Should I quarantine her from the other tarantulas? Should I give her somekind of different food? Any known solutions? I really don't wanna lose her.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Some thoughts about DS

Hmmm... reading some posts again in the thread, it seems like the infection goes in with the food, but not only one type: mice/rats, crickets and mealworms. I have thought about this a little, and I recall someone state that some T.s recovered after a molt? I'm guessing that:
infection goes in with food ---> it roots in their "stomach" ---> a part of tarantulas' digestion system comes off with a molt...
It is all very disturbing, yet very interesting. Nature never fails to amuse, unfortunately not always in a positive way.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
So sorry to hear about your situation....I have had the goo on mine...and it was too late both times. It was on pinktoes, or Aviculara avic.

Maybe you will be lucky.

I wish I knew if it was food, or the environment.

I hope the best for your spider....I know what it's like to lose a loved spider...

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Hi Angela! Yesterday I took a pic (she is telling me to piss off :)).
Is it similar to the one yours had?
Also, what do you think of ICU? Do you think it might be any help?