How bad is your addiction?

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
I have been back into the hobby almost three months now, and shamelessly spend all my spare cash on spiders and their paraphernalia. BUT, I'm doing it wisely by buying mulipltes, and looking for hings to pair up. I went from 3 T's several weeks ago, to more than a dozen... just upped it to just over two dozen, but there is another expo on Sunday. I fully expect to cross the 30 mark without thinking twice.

All that being said, I'm planning on making this a second income in the future. As they say: "You gotta spend money to make money".

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Hmmm, I don't know about addicted but I was psyched to see my OBT molted before I went tot he gym today. I will hold off on getting more from my list til the ones I have now mature out. The males I will use as leverage for some new slings. I figure if I get at least half males from the 13 I have, I will offer them to dealers and just see what kind of deals I can get on slings to raise up. Whatever mature as female, I cross off the list. Repeat until list complete with one female of each and then start over!!! It is a good thing I work weekends and don't get to go to expos otherwise I would be in trouble. NOT addicted.

CrystalRose

Arachnopeon
Mine isn't too bad. I only have one. I would like to get a couple more though. Only thing that's probably keeping me in check right now is,No one near me sells them and it's still too cold to have anything shipped here lol.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have been back into the hobby almost three months now, and shamelessly spend all my spare cash on spiders and their paraphernalia. BUT, I'm doing it wisely by buying mulipltes, and looking for hings to pair up. I went from 3 T's several weeks ago, to more than a dozen... just upped it to just over two dozen, but there is another expo on Sunday. I fully expect to cross the 30 mark without thinking twice.

All that being said, I'm planning on making this a second income in the future. As they say: "You gotta spend money to make money".
That's the way to do it, make the spiders pay for themselves. I've gotten half of my collection that way so far. Whenever possible I get several at a time of each species of sling, peferrably 5 to 10+. When you have only one sling of a species, it may be a male, or die from molting complications, and then you have to start over.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
you seem kinda indifferent to the excitement of others building their collections. What species do you own?
I just don't look at it that way. Stamps are for collecting. Commemorative plates are for collecting. These are living, breathing pets. You wouldn't say that you have a collection of dogs or cats, would you?

I have a G. Pulchra and G. Pulchripes, but both are too young to sex properly. Hoping that at least one is a female. Haven't named them yet because I want to confirm the gender first.

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
Started keeping in August-ish of this year with one B. boehmei sling. Now up to fourteen tarantulas and two scorpions.
Unfortunately/fortunately it is pretty easy for me to have access to inexpensive slings of the species on my wishlist, plus the fact that I always have a large number of feeders around AND end up going to the reptile store every month for feeders and rodents that happens to share it's storefront with Tarantula Canada...it's like a perfect storm of tarantula addiction.

I sometimes will make little budget cuts here and there say if something new and exciting/rare comes in and I want a sling before they are all gone. That said, I haven't and wouldn't do anything too crazy. My bases are covered, debts are paid and if at the end of all that I find a little spare cash then that's what goes to getting more tarantulas (and scorpions).

I am happy in a way that I've been told I cannot get any OW species or centipedes....because then....dear god...the wishlist would be *huge*.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Don't own any currently, but I do have quite a long list! I'll be able to start keeping them when I get my apartment this upcoming summer.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I just don't look at it that way. Stamps are for collecting. Commemorative plates are for collecting. These are living, breathing pets.
Like it or not, many of us have collections. And many collectors breed, so they're putting animals back into the hobby for others to enjoy. As far as the analogy with cats and dogs, there's more of them than homes, and far too many are being euthanized. Spider supply is far less than demand, just look at the prices.

Livia

Arachnopeon
Been in the hobby for 8 monthes have 32 spiders(I dont update my page) and I get a new one about every 2 weeks and most of the time I get more than one. The craziest thing I have done is pinch grabbed an OBT about to get killed while in a breeding atempt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not addicted--I'm committed :D

---------- Post added 03-13-2014 at 09:20 AM ----------

Been in the hobby for 8 monthes.... craziest thing I have done is pinch grabbed an OBT about to get killed while in a breeding atempt.
There's nothing crazy about that at all as you have said "there's no such thing as a good beginner spider"

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Like it or not, many of us have collections. And many collectors breed, so they're putting animals back into the hobby for others to enjoy. As far as the analogy with cats and dogs, there's more of them than homes, and far too many are being euthanized. Spider supply is far less than demand, just look at the prices.
My point was that items are collected, and that living animals are pets.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
My point was that items are collected, and that living animals are pets.
You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but having a collection of spiders does not mean we do not care about them like pets, more that we enjoy and take pride in the diversity of our pets. Believe me, I can understand that in some cases, less is more. When you have fewer, you can provide more care or time with each individual. With cats and dogs, even snakes and lizards that can be handled, I think this makes sense for a lot of people. I watch football with my Ball Python on my shoulders and he will stay there for hours, seemingly enjoying the warmth, while growing less fearful of me. If I had ten of them I may not be able to have this "relationship." With spiders, because they tend to be so easy to care for, and handling is not necessarily a wise move with a venomous animal, this leaves many of us with the time and resources to care for many. It actually increases the time we spend with the spiders doing regular care and maintenance...

EmberPhase

Arachnopeon
Like the term or not, the word "collection" is used to describe an ownership of animals. Zoos, aquariums, etc., all use the term to describe the creatures in their care. Its not a term used to belittle their importance, its just a term. Some people need to step down off the high horses and check the holier than thou 'tudes at the door. Jeez.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Like the term or not, the word "collection" is used to describe an ownership of animals. Zoos, aquariums, etc., all use the term to describe the creatures in their care. Its not a term used to belittle their importance, its just a term. Some people need to step down off the high horses and check the holier than thou 'tudes at the door. Jeez.
Haha, you said it better than I could!

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have no addiction. I have 2, and have no plans or desire to get more.
Come on! You sound like one of those people who says water when they are asked what drink they want at a restaurant, and says you want a piece of plain cheese when everyone else wants pizza. XD

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Come on! You sound like one of those people who says water when they are asked what drink they want at a restaurant, and says you want a piece of plain cheese when everyone else wants pizza. XD
I always drink water hahahah, water hater! :p