How bad is your addiction?

CrystalRose

Arachnopeon
Does it count towards your addiction if your husband surprises you with one as a present? LOL.

CrystalRose

Arachnopeon
I just told him he was my enabler and he said it's nothing new he has been for 18 years lol.

Hawk

Arachnopeon
It use to be really bad. Now not as much. Not that I lost interest, but I've became more busy. (mostly with my business) So I don't want to take any more T's in than I can handle.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
haha and plain cheese is my favorite...lmao
Many times, the simple is better. While I'm a huge fan of crazy pizza toppings, my favorite would have to be New York style cheese pizza.

---------- Post added 03-14-2014 at 06:44 AM ----------

Looking at current availability, I strongly suspect my buying will slow down a great deal for awhile. As mentioned in other threads, its difficult for me to justify spending the cash to order online, as I don't get bulk discounts. At the last show, I saved $90 based on the prices the vendors had marked. When I go and buy 10 spiders, they're GONNA be reasonable. It looks as if I have already purchased most of what interests me in my two main dealers inventory. So until they refresh their stock, I'll just be growing the eight-leggers I currently own (after this weekend's expo, that is :tongue:)

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Come on! You sound like one of those people who says water when they are asked what drink they want at a restaurant, and says you want a piece of plain cheese when everyone else wants pizza. XD
For those who don't get the joke, I'm saying he sounds like a bland and boring individual ;)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Lrntolive

Arachnopeon
How often do you buy new Ts? Do you find ways, outside of your paycheck, to fund your buys? What is the most extreme thing you have done to fund your addiction?
Don't know how extreme I've become yet, but my wife thinks I'm there. I'm a noob and I started with just one two months ago. Now I'm up to eight: one A. metallica, two A. avicularia slings, two G. pulchripes slings, one G. pulchra juvi, one B. Smithi juvi and one B. boehmei juvi.

I've made 5 custom plexiglass tanks, 3 terrestrial and 2 arboreal, 2 micro-climate tanks (for the slings and juvis) and created a new mold for a bigger custom plexiglass tank for my metallica.

I'm planning to purchase more in the next couple of weeks and then at least one more in May.

So far, my paycheck has been sufficient, but my company bonus is what really helps. Don't know what extreme I would go to to keep funding my hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Don't know what extreme I would go to to keep funding my hobby.
Plan your acquisitions and get an adult/subadult female of something (NOT rosea, parahybana, or OBT) and a juvenile male of the same species so you can start breeding. Once you get slings, they have market value, and you can sell/trade them to dealers and grow your collection that way. Thousands of people make their spiders pay for themselves by doing this, and get large collections (and some money on the side) by regularly producing egg sacs. I like to sell/trade them off at 2nd instar and not sit on them. Instead of the shotgun approach with nothing paired up, like most people do, put some thought into it. The hobby is huge these days, worldwide. People want tarantulas. Why not contribute by producing slings? The hobby benefits, you benefit.

My wife wasn't entirely thrilled when I got back into the hobby 2 years ago...until I started hatching out sacs and she saw the cash inflow. Most of my acquisitions last year were trades, and I got a lot of spiders doing that, in both species and quantity, that I could never have afforded otherwise. Now she's very supportive of my spider collection, even though it takes up an entire room (see pics in the recent thread 'Stan's Visit'). That's from breeding. You don't have to grow your collection that big; you can use some of the money for other things too, like paying bills. Think your wife's going to complain about that? This is where some people have arguments with their spouses, it's all money going out the door, none coming in. You can change that. It doesn't have to be a cash drain. If you have one adult female, put her to work. The first viable sac you get will pay for the cost of the parents, their cages, decorations, shelves, and year's worth of food. By planning my acquisitions, I've hatched out 16 sacs in the last 12 months. That's a lot of trade value. And yes, people will make up excuses why they can't breed their spiders. But it doesn't take a lot of skill and experience, and it doesn't take up much room when you ship out the slings.

Last edited:

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
Plan your acquisitions and get an adult/subadult female of something (NOT rosea, parahybana, or OBT) and a juvenile male of the same species so you can start breeding. Once you get slings, they have market value, and you can sell/trade them to dealers and grown your collection that way. Thousands of people make their spiders pay for themselves by doing this, and get large collections (and some money on the side) by regularly producing egg sacs. I like to sell/trade them off at 2nd instar and not sit on them. Instead of the shotgun approach with nothing paired up, like most people do, put some thought into it. The hobby is huge these day, worldwide. People want tarantulas. Why not contribute by producing slings? The hobby benefits, you benefit.

My wife wasn't entirely thrilled when I got back into the hobby 2 years ago...until I started hatching out sacs and she saw the cash inflow. Most of my acquisitions last year were trades, and I got a lot of spiders doing that, in both species and quantity, that I could never have afforded otherwise. Now she's very supportive of my spider collection, even though it takes up an entire room (see pics in the recent thread 'Stan's Visit'). That's from breeding. You don't have to grow your collection that big; you can use some of the money for other things too, like paying bills. Think your wife's going to complain about that? This is where some people have arguments with their spouses, it's all money going out the door, none coming in. You can change that. It doesn't have to be a cash drain. If you have one adult female, put her to work. The first viable sac you get will pay for the cost of the parents, their cages, decorations, shelves, and year's worth of food. By planning my acquisitions, I've hatched out 16 sacs in the last 12 months. That's a lot of trade value. And yes, people will make up excuses why they can't breed their spiders. But it doesn't take a lot of skill and experience, and it doesn't take up much room when you ship out the slings.
Sir, every time you post this, my excitement to get started throttles. I have a a pair such as you mentioned, just waiting for the male to mature. Can time go any slower? Really appreciate the boost of enthusiasm these posts give me.

Lrntolive

Arachnopeon
Poec,

Thank you for the advice. Breeding is probably a great idea, and I'm sure my wife wouldn't have a problem if more money was coming in. Even though I'm acquiring many T's rather quickly, I'm still a newb. I'm going to wait a while before attempting any kind of being projects.

I've got to build this up one piece at a time, and I'm sticking with new worlds to start.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Plan your acquisitions and get an adult/subadult female of something (NOT rosea, parahybana, or OBT) and a juvenile male of the same species so you can start breeding. Once you get slings, they have market value, and you can sell/trade them to dealers and grow your collection that way. Thousands of people make their spiders pay for themselves by doing this, and get large collections (and some money on the side) by regularly producing egg sacs. I like to sell/trade them off at 2nd instar and not sit on them. Instead of the shotgun approach with nothing paired up, like most people do, put some thought into it. The hobby is huge these days, worldwide. People want tarantulas. Why not contribute by producing slings? The hobby benefits, you benefit.

I would love to breed tarantulas, but I'm afraid I can't manage a project like that right now, because I am a 16 year old and I have other things I need to focus on right now, like schoolwork, how to get my Dad to stop belittling me, etc... ;)

EDIT: Actually, after going to a reptile show just now and buying a new LP (yay for me :D), I am considering this post and thinking maybe I could sell off LP slings in bulk quantities to people if the the LP I just bought turns out to be a female. Or if the GBB I currently have matures into a female I could buy a mature male and sell those slings. I think the GBB option would be better because GBBs produce less slings, which means less for me to manage (especially considering that LPs can have up 2000 slings per sac :S). However if either the GBB or the new LP mature into males, I will probably just keep them until they die because it will be too sad if I ship them off or if they get eaten by a mature female :(.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Viper,

Funny. Some would, but I'm not into it and my current employer would drop me. And, the licensing and legal headaches don't make it as easy as some think.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Your current employer would drop you for doing something legal? You "must" work for a religious zealot or organization or a school, shame on them haha

Man, I think it would be worth all that hassle, once the green is growing, the $$green$$ is rolling in!

---------- Post added 03-15-2014 at 01:17 PM ----------

A great idea, but I'd rather approach this hobby from another angle. I don't think I have any interest in breeding right now.

Luckily, my wife likes this hobby because it keeps me at home. She likes critters, too.

And since I like building things, here is an image of just one of the enclosures I've built. Working on the decorations, which I'm not good at and leave to my wife. This one is for juvis, with spring hinged lid. I think this is what's making my addiction worse. View attachment 125079 View attachment 125080

Nice acrylic container. Appears you have some warping on the lid though at both ends. Be careful, Ts are stronger and more persistent than most give them credit so make sure that little guy is on lock down as it grows or it might be walking out the front door ;)

Lrntolive

Arachnopeon
To prevent hijacking Amberphases post, I have deleted messages that are off topic.

Last edited:

misslovebunny

Arachnopeon
That's an idea!!!!

---------- Post added 03-15-2014 at 05:05 PM ----------

I can't go to a grocery store, or any store without looking for deli cups or enclosures....my office has each specimen I own on the bottom wall ( they scare half my clients!), so 24 tarantula pics, I am broke but manage to somehow get spider jewlery, posters, taxidermy... I go buy substrate or crickets and come out with another t....have to hide from my family, they think I'm nuts!!!! Oh, and when ur co workers call u spider woman and ask how ur children are doing....I could go on....wish I had a group where I live that likes t's.....nothing. I'm in Montreal btw....oh! And spendind Saturday night on aracnoboards when I already have no internet left! Lol!

---------- Post added 03-15-2014 at 05:06 PM ----------

I can't go to a grocery store, or any store without looking for deli cups or enclosures....my office has each specimen I own on the bottom wall ( they scare half my clients!), so 24 tarantula pics, I am broke but manage to somehow get spider jewlery, posters, taxidermy... I go buy substrate or crickets and come out with another t....have to hide from my family, they think I'm nuts!!!! Oh, and when ur co workers call u spider woman and ask how ur children are doing....I could go on....wish I had a group where I live that likes t's.....nothing. I'm in Montreal btw....oh! And spendind Saturday night on aracnoboards when I already have no internet left! Lol!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Viper,

Companies typically don't allow alcohol either because it is a law suit waiting to happen. Every company, from the government to private industry, I've worked for has a no drug policy. It is primarily for insurance reasons, but most persons under the influence are not that productive.

This container doesn't have any issues, thought it may seem that way as the edges are polished and my photo's not that good.

Yes, escaping is a concern, but the hinge springs are fairly strong. My next set for adults will have locking latches.

I never wrote one should work under the influence, nor implied it.

In the context of previous post exchange, I was discussing selling it, I never wrote you should smoke it hahahaah. To which, you responded your employer would "drop you". I can see based on what I wrote how you would be confused however, despite my previous comments though, keep up ;)

I was writing about selling a legal product in your state, not smoking marijuana. Companies do employee people to produce alcohol, not to show up drunk, ultimately, marijuana won't be any different at some point regardless of the scale of the company.

Where did you find this spring?

Last edited: